The Official Guitar Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I got a set of nut files from the maintenance guy that used to work for me. He builds guitars on the side.

Also I inherited an acoustic guitar. Plays OK but I need to lower the action. I miss the ease of doing so with a hardtail telecaster. And missed it quickly lol.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Has anyone ever assembled an amp with one of these kits? I think I’m gonna give this one a shot. Tube Depots seem to come with the best assembly instructions.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Stoked, my boogie will be here next Tuesday. Have a full set of tubes waiting for her.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
For the Ian Thornley fans...
The new Big Wreck dropped yesterday. Once again, the guitar work is ridiculous. Solo on this one is a bit unlike Thornley with all the whammy work, however the lyrics are written for Brian, their rhythm guitarist that died a few months ago of cancer. The "I miss my friend" line gets me every time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've only listened to it once, but I found the guitar work to be very impressive - even by Big Wreck standards. Really looking forward to the show in October.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So having my boogie back has been a joy. Haven't put in the new tubes yet, waiting for a can of DeoxIT to show up. Inspired me to finally order all new electronics for my archtop. Found a guy here in Boulder that can do the work as well.

Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucker-4 Conductor-Neck
Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucker-4 Conductor-Bridge
(2)CTS 500K Audio Taper Pro Guitar Pot w/ Brass Shaft
Gotoh 3-Way Guitar Toggle Switch-Black Chrome
(2)Double Pole ON/ON/ON Flat Handle Mini Switch - Black
Orange Drop .022 Microfarad Tone Capacitors
Cloth Vintage Style Guitar Wire w/ Braided Shielding
Switchcraft 1/4" Stereo Guitar Jack w/ 3/8" Threaded Collar
Heat Shrink Tubing for Guitar & Bass

Borzak

Got a new nut put in my tele. Went easy and used a pre slotted one and just trimmed it to fit and set the height. Was super easy. Fitting a blank with no slots would have taken a little more time and a little more planning to get the slots cut the right height.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd forgotten how fucking heavy the Mark IV is(83 lbs.). Normally just take the flight case top off and keep it in the bottom part. Pulling it all apart and cleaning it is a bitch, but worth it.

EDIT Crazy how much they fit in that space.

IMG_20190905_170921.jpg

Last edited:

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not familiar with basses so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I traded for this thing probably 20 years ago and never did anything with it. I'm hoping I can turn it into a decent little practice bass. The action seems high, but maybe the high action is normal for a bass like this? I adjusted the next a little but I don't want to do anymore if this is normal. Also, what kind of strings should I put on something like this.

IMG_20190907_123053.jpg

IMG_20190907_123106.jpg

sukik

I think I found the answer to my question. I found a much better set up guide after a little more looking. I measured the action and it's a little higher than what's in fenders chart but I think it'll be fine for what I want to do with it. I ordered some D'Addario short scale strings and I'm gonna go through the full setup when the new strings arrive.

• 1Like

Borzak

Stewmac has some pretty good how to videos as well, which they will also be trying to sell you the tools they use.

I followed the advice of the guy who was the maintenance guy in the shop. I used a set of oxy-acetalene toch tip cleaners. They come in a set of 20-25 of them and they're round and like a file. I think the set cost $5 or something. Worked out just fine and had sizes to fit strings of a 9 or 10 set. Pretty sure couldn't go much larger and definietly not a bass. Used a pre slotted nut but I had to lower them just a tad and didn't want to sand the nut to lower it. Maybe 3-4 strokes and it came out just fine. Just put the tip cleaner in and angled to the tuning machine and a 2 strokes and check string height. Cheap and easy.

Going from the chart on the back of the set (it's all together like a folding allen key set) it goes from 0.012 to 0.067 in 14 sizes which worked well.

$_1.JPG

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I'm not familiar with basses so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I traded for this thing probably 20 years ago and never did anything with it. I'm hoping I can turn it into a decent little practice bass. The action seems high, but maybe the high action is normal for a bass like this? I adjusted the next a little but I don't want to do anymore if this is normal. Also, what kind of strings should I put on something like this.

View attachment 222012
View attachment 222013
Looks like you need to look into adjusting the truss rod for lower relief. Check this out, super simple to do.

• 1Like

sukik

Looks like you need to look into adjusting the truss rod for lower relief. Check this out, super simple to do.

I adjusted it a little and will try a little more when I restring it. It's a phillip's head(or appears to be) where the neck meets the body.

I'm also trying to clean up an old guitar. It's a 80 something Yamaha SSC 500 that's been collecting dust for as long as the bass. It works mostly ok except the pickup near the neck cuts out when I punch the tap on the tone nob. I can get it working by fiddling with the volume or tone nob. I don't even know if I could find a replacement tone switch for it if I wanted to. I thought something may have come disconnected or something got spilled in the pickup but I don't think that's the case. Everything still looks soldered but it's a dusty mess. There's some yellowish something all over some of the soldering, you can see it in the pickup picture below. I though it might be corn syrup from a soda but it's on all the soldering on the pickups and on the electronics behind the nobs so I think it's residue from being in a smoker's environment(tar). Which was constantly the case when I was younger.

This is the guitar.

I don't have a shot of the electronics in the back of the guitar but it all looks like this shot of the pickup soldering.
pickup crop.png

pickup front:
coil front.png

Also, does anyone know where I could get a screw like this online? I'm missing a pickup screw and it doesn't look like any of the single coil pickup screws that are common for strat copies. I've measured it and its about 3mm by 35mm.

screw crop.png

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Get some DeoxIT D5 or some other contact cleaner for the pots which should give them life again. I would check pro bolt usa for the screw. nm, they dont do screws, thought they did.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sukik

Get some DeoxIT D5 or some other contact cleaner for the pots which should give them life again. I would check pro bolt usa for the screw. nm, they dont do screws, thought they did.
Can I spray that stuff on all the electronics, pickups and soldering as well to clean it all up?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I just use it on the pots but since it evaporates pretty quick I don't think giving everything a squirt would hurt it.

EDIT
just found this video that is helpful

• 1Like

sukik

I just use it on the pots but since it evaporates pretty quick I don't think giving everything a squirt would hurt it.

EDIT
just found this video that is helpful

I ordered some deoxit. I'm going to take my computer air blower to it then hit it with the deoxit. I also found a screw on amazon from some factory in asia that should work if the thread pitch is correct. I guess I'll find out in a month when it gets here.

Borzak

I adjusted it a little and will try a little more when I restring it. It's a phillip's head(or appears to be) where the neck meets the body.

I'm also trying to clean up an old guitar. It's a 80 something Yamaha SSC 500 that's been collecting dust for as long as the bass. It works mostly ok except the pickup near the neck cuts out when I punch the tap on the tone nob. I can get it working by fiddling with the volume or tone nob. I don't even know if I could find a replacement tone switch for it if I wanted to. I thought something may have come disconnected or something got spilled in the pickup but I don't think that's the case. Everything still looks soldered but it's a dusty mess. There's some yellowish something all over some of the soldering, you can see it in the pickup picture below. I though it might be corn syrup from a soda but it's on all the soldering on the pickups and on the electronics behind the nobs so I think it's residue from being in a smoker's environment(tar). Which was constantly the case when I was younger.

This is the guitar.

I don't have a shot of the electronics in the back of the guitar but it all looks like this shot of the pickup soldering.
View attachment 222428

pickup front:
View attachment 222429

Also, does anyone know where I could get a screw like this online? I'm missing a pickup screw and it doesn't look like any of the single coil pickup screws that are common for strat copies. I've measured it and its about 3mm by 35mm. If you had a cheapy thread gauge that would a lot. I think they are like $2.00 or something.

View attachment 222430

McMaster Carr for the screw. But probably have to buy 1,000 of them at a time. Still might be worth to look at and figure out what the name of that type of screw. If you had a cheapy thread gauge would narrow it down to the thread gauge. I think the cheapy ones are like $2.00 or something at harbor freight.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider

View attachment 222012
View attachment 222013

Just throw some strings on it and make noise. I use to buy strings from bassstringsonline. Get the proper length for the scale and coated strings will be a bit less harsh if you can choose that. Lower action will save your fingers a bit. Specific strings and set up isn’t nearly as important as it is on guitar, provided there’s no real problem, unless you become a bass player.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
So I made PLENTY of mistakes in this as it was one take without fully figuring out the song. However, wanted to show off the power of the Fractal AxeFX III. Absolutely nailed Ty Tabor's tone which isn't easy.

Can really hear it stand out around 1:33.

The Fractal stuff is amazing.. Being that I travel for work a lot though, I just went with Bias FX 2 on my MacBook.. The tone matching in v2 is ridiculously good..