The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Those are a lot of good tones. Always loved that Ty Tabor sound. Hard to replicate.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's kind of why I want a Kemper. Just model good tones close enough to a tube amp

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Kempers really are incredible, you can get profiles of amps you will likely never get to be in the same room with much less own one. Downside is to get the better profiles is you end up paying some more $$$ after you get the Kemper

Bogie IIC+ (281 Profiles)
Seeking to recreate the sound of a Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ (2C+ original, 60-100W, Graphic EQ)
257 Studio Profiles + 24 Direct Profiles

Cabinets :
  • Mesa Boogie 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30, C90, Lynchback
  • Engl 4x12 loaded with Celestion V60
  • Soldano 4x12 loaded with Eminence Legend V12
  • Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30, G12T75, G12K100, Classic Lead 80, G12M, Rola,
  • Bogner 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30
  • EVH 5150III 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12EVH
  • Bogner 2x12 loaded with Celestion V30
  • Marshall 2x12 loaded with Celestion G12M
  • Mesa Boogie 2x12 loaded with Celestion V30
  • Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ cabinet 1x12 loaded with Electrovoice EV12
Mics :
  • Shure SM57, SM7
  • Royer R121
  • Sennheiser MD421, MD21
  • Audix i5
  • Beyerdynamic M160
  • Neumann U87
  • Electrovoice RE20
  • Heil PR30
Boosted with
  • MXR Wylde OD
  • Mesa Grid Slammer
  • Mesa Flux Drive
  • Seymour Duncan 805
  • Ibanez TS9
  • Protone Attack OD
  • Boss BD2 Blues Driver
  • Boss SD1 TS808 Mod

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Monoprice 611815 15Watt, 1 x 12 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker & Spring Reverb
This thing is the best sounding practice/bedroom amp I've played on. Beats every low watt lunchbox in clean sound and with a good distortion pedal and nose gate you can get a perfect metal sound.

When I get time I'll record it with my pedals, but there are plenty of YouTube videos on it.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Monoprice 611815 15Watt, 1 x 12 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker & Spring Reverb
This thing is the best sounding practice/bedroom amp I've played on. Beats every low watt lunchbox in clean sound and with a good distortion pedal and nose gate you can get a perfect metal sound.

When I get time I'll record it with my pedals, but there are plenty of YouTube videos on it.

yup as posted earlier I bought one too. They are reviewed well for the price everywhere on the web. biggest complaint everyone had was the reverb tank was a plastic POS and useless, but when mine arrived the tank was metal, and no longer hardwired, has RCA plugs incase you wanted to swap it out for a different one. A lot of folks go bananas and buy better tubes and cones for them.

They say they are a chinese clone of a Laney Cub, but to me they sounds a lot less 'metal' than the old Cubs I heard. They started out at $175ish and have slowly increased in price over the past couple years. Apparently they Black Friday every year for a deep discount.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It sounds great with my Boss metal core pedal, only took me about 15 minutes to dial in the sound I wanted metal wise. I'm pretty picky about distortion so on every amp I've owned it's been a challenge dialing it in just right and some amps I've never even been able to get where I wanted. That's why I've mostly just stuck with my Line 6 spider 3 since it does the metal tones pretty well (just sounds like garbage for everything else).

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Line 6 spider 3

i had a Line 6 Spider II when they first came out and my friends and i all loved it. had a friend go out and get a Spider III when those were released a year or so later, and man did it seem like a step in the wrong direction from the 2. all those preset tones just seemed really gimmicky, and the digital aspect was pretty non-streamlined. i ended up playing with a Spider IV years and years later and i think i liked that one after all, but for awhile i told everyone get a Spider II instead of a Spider III if you can.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Kempers really are incredible, you can get profiles of amps you will likely never get to be in the same room with much less own one. Downside is to get the better profiles is you end up paying some more $$$ after you get the Kemper

Bogie IIC+ (281 Profiles)
Seeking to recreate the sound of a Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ (2C+ original, 60-100W, Graphic EQ)
257 Studio Profiles + 24 Direct Profiles

Cabinets :
  • Mesa Boogie 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30, C90, Lynchback
  • Engl 4x12 loaded with Celestion V60
  • Soldano 4x12 loaded with Eminence Legend V12
  • Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30, G12T75, G12K100, Classic Lead 80, G12M, Rola,
  • Bogner 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30
  • EVH 5150III 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12EVH
  • Bogner 2x12 loaded with Celestion V30
  • Marshall 2x12 loaded with Celestion G12M
  • Mesa Boogie 2x12 loaded with Celestion V30
  • Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ cabinet 1x12 loaded with Electrovoice EV12
Mics :
  • Shure SM57, SM7
  • Royer R121
  • Sennheiser MD421, MD21
  • Audix i5
  • Beyerdynamic M160
  • Neumann U87
  • Electrovoice RE20
  • Heil PR30
Boosted with
  • MXR Wylde OD
  • Mesa Grid Slammer
  • Mesa Flux Drive
  • Seymour Duncan 805
  • Ibanez TS9
  • Protone Attack OD
  • Boss BD2 Blues Driver
  • Boss SD1 TS808 Mod

Yea man, I think they pay for themselves though. I don't mind paying money if someone modeled an amp for 1/10th the price of the amp. My buddy owns a studio and I could profile a fuckton of amps for free.

I've seen a lot of bands use them live (Death Metal) and the tones they produce are insane, without all the potential breakdown of tube amps (my 5150 has broken down like 3 times live). In addition, although this doesn't affect any of us, it's easy to go out tour internationally and just rent some cabs and kemper and load your packs and have the exact same sound.

I really want to save for one and buy one. I mostly noodle (heh) at home, but I do play live sometimes.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
i had a Line 6 Spider II when they first came out and my friends and i all loved it. had a friend go out and get a Spider III when those were released a year or so later, and man did it seem like a step in the wrong direction from the 2. all those preset tones just seemed really gimmicky, and the digital aspect was pretty non-streamlined. i ended up playing with a Spider IV years and years later and i think i liked that one after all, but for awhile i told everyone get a Spider II instead of a Spider III if you can.

I've owned Spiders 1-3 and I thought the 3 sounded best (well for metal anyway). The distortion had a nice low end that was hard to get on most amps.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

My Afghanistan guitar. PRS SE Mark Holcomb signature.. Soon as Mark announces his new SE 7 string signature, I'll grab one of them too..
No way in hell I'm bringing out any of my Mayones..

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

My baby.. custom spec'd Mayones Duvell 7 Custom
26.5" scale, 20" radius, BKP Ragnaroks, Hannes bridge, Hipshot open tuners..

Prettiest quilted top I've ever seen..

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

Been wanting a multi-scale, so this is coming next with some mods.. Changing the pickups to Alpha/Omega set, and painting the wings/back in a satin Ferrari red.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Beautiful craftsmanship all around, ruined by some of the ugliest fucking finishes I have ever seen. Not all of them but a lot.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The second flametop is my favorite. And it's not even close. Beautiful guitar.

• 1Solidarity