The Official Guitar Thread

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I was eyeing Schecter Hellraiser 7-string guitars that I thought looked pretty slick. Didn't really check out any of the rest. My favorite guitar and the only one that I've held steady for the past 10 years is a Schecter S-1 and it's been great quality wise.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
B001NMT70S-1.jpg

Nextxt guitar very well may be the Loomis 7

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My solid state amp is fried and I'm not ready to justify another amp purchase yet.

What's the options for going directly into my PC or MacBook for dinking around recording purposes?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i used to use a pretty laughable setup to record, but with actually pretty good results.

all i did was use my old orange Boss DS-1 distortion pedal as a ghetto preamp and plug it directly into my mic input with a 1/4"->1/8" adapter. run a DC offset filter and a basic noise cancelling filter on the resulting recording and it actually sounds decent (much better than the average black metal album i was listening to at the time, anyway)

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you want to go dirt cheap, get a vox amplug and just run it to the line in Jack on your PC/speakers.

I use a line 6 pod ux2 and it's a decent little interface/ amp modeling software package. I like it for just rocking through my speakers.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
figured out how to play "A Season in the Sky" by Neurosis, even tho the tabs online are kinda shitty. probably the longest song i've ever learned, it's just shy of 10 minutes long when they play it. i pick up the tempo and cut out half of the intro so my version is probably in the 8-9 minute range. but yeah, feels good man. loved this song for so long before learning to play it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
we talk about guitar with some regularity on this forum, but i never see anyone sharing recordings of their guitar playing. i would love to hear what some of you guys do. particularly i would love to hear recordings from Noodleface Noodleface and Alex Alex , but there are many other people that post in this thread whose work i'd like to hear too.

anyone have anything they're willing to share?

i did a page or two ago, but i was drunk and probably people skipped over it for the rambling nature of the post. plus it was Vocaroo instead of embedded YouTube or w/e else we can embed.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
here's a piece i wrote a long time ago, directly inspired by King Crimson - "Fracture".... entirely written in whole tone scale, delay set so the repeats fall on the last upbeat of the measure (essentially creating a 7/8 crossed with 4/4 syncopation)

edit -- originally embedded youtube, but just realized in a different thread that BandCamp links can be embedded. this version is way better quality:
note that i am just playing a single guitar with a delay pedal set to 1.3seconds

edit 2 -- man, i used to think this whole album sounded pretty meh, but listening back now to the stuff i recorded 7 years ago, it sounds pretty good. i miss my old Line 6 Spider 2.

whole album queued up from track 1 if anyone is interested

if you listen to only one track, skip forward to track 6, The New Paradigm. metal with delay pedal and weird time signatures... the main riff (starting just after 2:00) is in 27/8

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a SoundCloud account with some stuff on it. I'll post it later when I get home.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This first one I recorded with Reaper in my apartment. I'm playing everything on this one. Drums were played with my Yamaha Motif. Yes, that's me wearing a Bengals jersey onstage.

These next tunes were from one of my college bands. All live recordings using a Zoom H4n.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I haven't recorded in 10 years, although there's a SoundCloud out there somewhere. Most of my stuff is covers nowadays (I've posted videos)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've probably posted it before but since we're coming up on the anniversary..

This was my high school band. Band ended when the lead guitarist/singer died in the RI Station nightclub fire.

Little different as you'd think I just play metal

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

That was me like 7 years ago. No metronome so don't judge the messed up timing heh.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice dude, didn't know you really played. Here's a couple videos, possibly posted before

Last one has the better quality. I'm obviously the dumbass bald guy

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Digging the Amon amarth. The nenia cover is awesome, should post that one. I think it's my favorite instrumental of all time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah here's nenia man. I didn't like it because I fell out of key on the intro solo lol .Also the second song I couldn't hear the band so my timing was off on the solo

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Saw this beast last night. Holy shit. What a fucking show. My expectations were high and they were exceeded. Considerably. Wish they toured the American west coast more.

qyai7burcGJna2Hw-NygJc_M4yeDfbwm8MSTwVtAc2MMhogfMtS0U85-e_fqT_8k_cUZqjJBN3D1_smss9RXTSkGyC5F-2AGW5_52ghIRKS2VRt1CCVzbaPxIb5avobUgbsOaYhBwOdCh04_brGRCAdu-XV1sceiVI7sV1ToSNDbB8T7ShbJveW3RsHeSAX-FR9ZLyNDD0J7fOGf7EqEw_OTOy4WkUkY1Cl903tn_pchGOBL65VfXHuXj--sESN-jnlPWLraCX-Q27YnwUg94UQnwCE3QXrtlhY4iRdl0MoX0ud9GUJd38xI33CFfg3p7yfpeJoxWJME8qkAFmzeUKAnPA-Nwfn0BM3moF4Uz9PaXeiMhmdE1ZAJ2pi8RMB2yO_ayc3dpqcj_2dD0hTxJNXpruiDTn64cLRp2k3xXNXK_LLeUHBMG4xSrLXpgfD9X33scNIhAaodWChJzF9kgc3v0VA-Keo3XoQtNskDfSn1-qu5V5IEwswAFL38JbwJ2CHFpwttFDTTNjQ7O_77PhRtPIsVkVgWUv8ZXq8sjdmLycpwomGby2i-sTCbV7w1JaKtoZno7T-nihslEEw60FXpwjqWU6YZTXpVwE0=w534-h949-no