The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
There are some vintage ones. They caught a lot of flak for ripping off Les Paul's early on. Some roadstar models , destroyers, etc.

The lawsuit guitars are very highly regarded if not worth a decent amount of money. A ton of early VH stuff was played on a destroyer. People are always going to want the Gibsons though and always will.

Kementari

Trakanon Raider
I have a lawsuit SG made in June '77 and it is hands down one of the best guitars I've ever played. From all the research, and playing, I have done on the lawsuit guitars, it really comes down to the years they were made; just like every other company that makes guitars. The quality was pretty high during the late '70s for the lawsuits, while some Gibson's/Fender's quality suffered. Some years the lawsuits sucked too.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Anybody ever mess around with Burns guitars? Been toying with heading down to the local boutique shop to try some out. Seems like they've got a distinct look but does anybody know if they've also got some weird distinct British sound as well?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Never heard of Burns. After looking at them, I think they are rather ugly, but to each his own. It looked to me like all of their guitars had single coil pickups so you're probably going to get a straty / trebly sound from them.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Forgot to post the actual 714 I bought. It's so good. Been playing it everyday. On full display on the wall.

M6QqBWO.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What wall hangers you got? Been looking into them. I'm not sure I'd put my Les Paul on the wall due to weight. How much can they hold?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Have to re-setup the universe so took the chance to clean and setup my Les Paul. Damn nothing plays like this guitar

IMG_20190104_212013.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got a sweetwater gift card for my birthday from my dad which blew my mind. Guess I'm officially shopping for a new guitar now. Leaning toward maybe a Gretsch or even maybe an Epiphone in something semi hollow or hollowbody for a change. Dunno.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Told.my wife this is the last trade I'll ever do...

My universe for a Keith merrow mkiii sign

Ebony fretboard, 9 piece wenge + other woods neck and body. Fishmans Keith merrow set. Hipshot bridge and locking tuners. Thin C neck profile. Compound radius. Not to mention the looks

received_754052111634637.jpeg

received_359080058261564.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Nice illusion on that headstock. Makes it look like the strings go right thru the machines and out the other side without being wound. Interesting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They're locking tuners so you basically just stick them In and lock it. Don't need to really go around the peg

Borzak

Ok I have a set of locking tuners that it actually only locks the tuning machines down and you still have to wrap the string.

On a non related note I worked putting new pickups in my backup telecaster today. The front bag for shooting rifles works very well for holder of the neck on guitar while working on it.

Borzak

Really liking the new pickups I put in my MiM Tele. I got them from the husband of my niece for my brithday. Anyway Fender Nocaster pickups, trying to decide if I want to get a set and put in my other telecaster. I guess I'll keep playing them for a while and see how it goes. If I keep playing it much I might have to get a practice amp, my tube amp is not really meant for bedroom play. Like most fender amps. No sound on the volume knob till about 3 and then it's 90% ON, or so it seems.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I've had some time with the Fishman Fluence Keith Merrow set (basically classics, from what I've heard).

I've never been HUGE on actives, however I do enjoy them for some stuff. But.. they were always just EMG, 81 variants. Some people pull that off, but I found the tone very sterile. However, the Fishman's are a beast totally different.

The guitar has a 3-way switch for pickup selection, the standard bridge - neck - combined. The real difference with these is the new "voice" options. Basically each pickup has 3 different voicings. Voice 1 - a PAF clone. Kind of fat and thick, very meaty. Voice 2 - a single coil option. Very punchy, very tight, little twangy. Voice 3 is the "Merrow" option which is just essentially a very hot active pickup sound. This is what I run most of the time, but the other voicings are still good. There's a lot of combos here - 3 voicings each x 3 pickup selections. I'm putting numbers here to the voicings, but it's arbitrary on my party.

No tone knob on this bad larry and honestly, I've never used a tone knob in my life.

The third voicing is pretty raunchy and tight, it definitely has a distinct hot-rodded metal tone. Definitely sounds like Keith. My pickup of choice for passives is the SD Nazgul bridge and Sentient neck which I think Keith Merrow helped design. It's kind of weird because his music isn't necessarily always my style, but the guy sounds goddamn good. I do love these pickups.

I could never justify dropping $300-400 on a set of pickups, and installing all the harnesses and battery compartment if it didn't come with the guitar. For that reason, I'd never buy a Fishman set and probably would buy SD Nazgul/Sentient in the future. But I'm glad I have these - definitely my favorite active pickup and it might be my favorite pickups of all time. Time will tell.

Few other notes. This is a MIK Schecter. I prefer MIJ Ibanez, but this guitar plays VERY well. It definitely plays better than a lot of Ibanez that I have played. And because it's neck-through it is very resonant with a lot of sustain. The guitar is easy to play, and I have a lot of fun playing it. I loved my universe but it did not play as easily as this does (plus changing pickups on a pickguard seriously sucks). I'm very impressed by the build quality and features. I may even be looking for a MK-II version of this guitar in the future.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
ran into an old friend at the store today, made plans to jam some guitar together on Friday. pretty excited, since moving back to my hometown a few years ago i haven't had anyone to play with. he says he only plays acoustic and is pretty much just a rhythm guitarist, but that's alright. i can work with it.