The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've never personally used one of those before but I've heard great things. Thankfully my Orange is switchable all the way down to 7 watts if I'm in my apartment.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the best way to ship a guitar and an amp stack if I don't have the original shipping boxes?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
What's the best way to ship a guitar and an amp stack if I don't have the original shipping boxes?

general practice when shipping anything fragile is a box within a box. It would guess youd take the tubes out of a tube amp and triple box those

shipping-double-box.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
At a minimum I would say guitar in a case > case in a box > use paper or some sort of filler so it is packed tightly all around. In the past year I started using bags by Mono. They are legit and I like them over my hard cases.

As for an amp I haven't shipped any in a long time, but back when I had to travel from one side of the country to the other pretty often I went out and got this case for my Mark IV. I shipped it, paid way to much to get onto planes and never had an issue.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For amp heads I double box them. Removing tubes is a good idea.

Guitars I usually single box in hard case. Wrap the head and loosen tension on strings. Only had one guitar get damaged in 20 years of shipping (and the one time insurance wasn't applied... That's a story...)

For a cab... Uh... Good luck. Look into freight ?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm getting a new solid state amp. I mentioned to my ex who is coming to pick me up later this week I needed to buy a smaller/quieter amp. She asked "What about the amp you left here". Hmm I'm getting a new 25w fender solid state apparently I bought years ago to keep at her house to play on. Problem solved lol.

I thought about an attenuater. But from the prices it would have been cheaper to buy a new amp, at least a cheap solid state amp.

The few amps I've bought all had those things made out of heavy cardboard that fit onto each corner to space it out from the box.So that the amp was in the box but 3/4" away from the sides in case something poked thru. Too bad you can't make those to fit.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

I find this hysterical, but so true. Can't count how many times Ive see guitarists not pull off this intro

Last edited:

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I ordered this beauty last night. I hope to get it by Friday. It’s gonna be an excruciating wait. Suhr Standard Plus - This is my dream strat and can’t wait to get my hands on it so I can underwhelm everyone in hearing range with my mediocre at best guitar skills. Im basically the equivalent of an elderly Asian woman driving a Ferrari.

1AEA5E12-6204-4208-839D-71539412E292.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Congrats on the purchase.

Don't have it completely running yet but I've sorta maybe have a new amp. It consists of my desktop/laptop, bias AMP2/FX2, a midi commander and an Ernie Ball volume pedal wired up to be an expression pedal.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Always wanted to play a Suhr. They look like really high quality instruments.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've never had a Floyd Rose guitar. They just seem like too much of a pain. A properly configured one is heavenly to play with though. You can really go wild and it stays in perfect tune.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to taking my bass in to a shop to get fixed today. Pretty stoked at the prospect of having it back in working order. Off course with a 2 year old and 1 month old, it'll be headphones pretty much all the time

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider

I find this hysterical, but so true. Can't count how many times Ive see guitarists not pull off this intro

There’s always that one guy who cannot keep his own time. Last guitar player I was in a band with had to have the drummer give him a running cymbal beat on all the guitar intros.