The Orville

Oldbased

> Than U
Season 1 of every SciFi series is usually along the same gripes. Most of the time the actors think it'll be canceled and sets and camerawork leave some things to be desired.
I can watch random TNG episode and tell in 2 minutes if it was a season 1 or season 2+ episode based on that shit. Season 2 will be better produced likely.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
The DR is a fucking terrible actress, so are the kids, its the new Walt and Michael.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
The DR is a fucking terrible actress, so are the kids, its the new Walt and Michael.
I'll agree with that. The robot needs to be the doctor. I laughed hard with the I need to repair you line.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
How are the kids horriable actors? They acted like brats who were insufferable little dicks.

Just like two siblings that age do. -shrug-

The Dr has been good in other shows but she's much better in a supporting role than a focus like she was here.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf

Chris

Potato del Grande
This episode was meh, robot as the doctor would have been good actually but then you don't get him on the bridge. She needs to be more cranky like bones or scotty.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So this guy saved her from the infected people, and gave her clean food and water, and kept her locked in so she didn't try to escape or kill him. For all she knew he was a kind-hearted person just trying to give her time to acclimate and get used to him. Yet she fucking shot him. With a gun, not a phaser set on stun. Shot him dead.

Fuck that bitch, he should have left her to die.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Or, he captured her, was lonely so kept her for company, gave her food to keep her alive and imprisoned her in his tower of doomsday prepping.
Nice guys don't lock you up against your will in the guise of helping you. :p

Cybsled

It was a grey area to be sure. On the one hand he doesn't know her, so for a person in his position, it might be prudent to keep someone in a restricted area until you can be sure they won't backstab you. On the other hand, he may have just been looking for "entertainment".

ShakyJake

<Donor>
All I know is that doctors in the future don't give a shit about the Hippocratic Oath. They'll blow you away without hesitation.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Or, he captured her, was lonely so kept her for company, gave her food to keep her alive and imprisoned her in his tower of doomsday prepping.
Nice guys don't lock you up against your will in the guise of helping you. :p
My "roommate" in my basement would like to have a word with you.

No, but seriously, he didn't do anything overtly worth being killed over. Tied up while she escaped, sure, maybe. Ok, let's be realistic for a minute, while I'm bored at work. She's obviously not sick from the bad water, and since he knew where the wreckage of her part of the ship was, he could fairly easily surmise that she might not be from this planet, or at least not from this region. She even admits that she has no idea what is going on, and supposedly this poison is world-wide. So she's probably alone (no one else at crash site he found), doesn't know about all the hazards of the crazy cannibals and the poison water, and he knows practically nothing about her or her culture. He also doesn't necessarily know when she is going to wake up, and he might be out foraging when she does. And after she woke up, she certainly didn't say anything that would have made me trust her enough to just let her roam around unsupervised in the place that was literally keeping me safe from crazy cannibals.

He even went and got the medicine she claimed she needed. Nor did he do anything overtly creepy. Sure, he might have intended to keep her as a sex slave, but he gave no indication of that, and he very well might have just been being cautious in case she was violent or insane or infected by the water but just not showing it yet. He was not doing anything crazy other than keeping her in a locked room, maybe until he was sure she wasn't a threat to him or herself. Which he was 100% correct to do, as proven by the fact that instead of just threatening him with the gun and locking him up or something while she escaped, she just straight up murdered him. There's pretty much nothing I can think of that makes that the correct solution for someone that was so adamant about only stunning the crazy cannibals, as opposed to restraining him or knocking him out (she's a doctor, they seem to have knockout needles on hand!) or something other than murdering him. I mean, if she didn't care about killing anyone at all, then sure, what's another one? But she clearly told her kid they don't kill.

I already hated the doctor. Now she's a cold-blooded murdering hypocrite too. You can keep her Niddles~ Just don't raise your voice to her kids, she'll probably gank you.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Meh, all I know is mothers do anything for their kids, and this dude was keeping her from her kids. She asked to be let go and he refused. Looks to me like she was immune to Stockholms Syndrome more than anything.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
ST:TNG - Transgender issues episode The Outcast (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia
ST:TNG - Xenophobic species on a holy crusade... Borg. There are lots of others too. Pretty much any episode that was based around Prime Directive drama.
Not TNG but wasn't the Dominion war essentially a holy crusade? Closest thing I can think of. The general idea in Star Trek seemed to be warp capable civilizations shouldn't be religious but it does pop up as a minor thing here and there too.

Maul

Dental Dammer
So this guy saved her from the infected people, and gave her clean food and water, and kept her locked in so she didn't try to escape or kill him. For all she knew he was a kind-hearted person just trying to give her time to acclimate and get used to him. Yet she fucking shot him. With a gun, not a phaser set on stun. Shot him dead.

It was Dark outside, probably kidnapped her for rape, then when the sun came up realised she was black and the risk of space aids was too high.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

Shot him after he risked his life going out to get her medicine for her fake injury.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Meh, all I know is mothers do anything for their kids, and this dude was keeping her from her kids. She asked to be let go and he refused. Looks to me like she was immune to Stockholms Syndrome more than anything.
So what you're saying is, you support BMWMGSLM?

That's Black Mothers Who Murder Good Samaritans Lives Matter, FYI.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I thought she might try to appeal to his needs, but she didn't even try,."I crash landed in a spaceship. If we get to the other part, we can activate a beacon and get off this planet." He was willing to risk himself to get her medicine, so he wasn't a total loss.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
If the show lasts a few seasons, the older kid will be the next wesley crusher. Son of the doctor, self absorbed brat who just had some character growth. It all tracks. Next thing you know he'll be studying really hard so he can get into the academy and along the way he will come up with the idea to blast the aliens with a tachyon burst and save the ship because they just learned about those in class.

• 1Barf

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I was thinking the doc would at least have a moment of reflection on killing that guy. Sometime at the end of the episode maybe. Nope, no fucks given.

• 1Like