The Orville

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I still can't believe that isn't Brent Spiner behind Isaac. That voice, jesus, it is almost exactly Data's. Probably what they were going for I'm sure, but man, it is creepy close.

It's similar mannerisms in some respects but the voice doesn't sound the same to me really.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's similar mannerisms in some respects but the voice doesn't sound the same to me really.
yea, Isaac has that mild robot buzzing voice, while Data sounded like well a human, no buzzing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Episode reminded me too much of Black Mirror's 'Nosedive.' Bortus had a good line though about how voices should be earned, not given.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't like the doctor. She could not exist and it wouldn't change the show.

Bit of a slow, predictable episode. The commentary on our own direction as a society was there, but not very biting.

The barista was hot and the best acting in the episode.

• 1Like

CrazyRussell

Golden Squire
I liked it better as the Meow Meow Beanz episode of Communitty. Black Mirror did it great as well. I still love this show.

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Man the comments after that article are AIDS.

Stoked this is renewed. I'l bang the drum again for The Exorcist on Fox as well.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I liked the,"This is nothing but a Star Trek TNG ripoff". Like, how is that a bad thing after some of the recent and last shit done.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really enjoy this show and is basically one of the very few im looking forward to being released each week.

It does feel a bit thin at the minute, the bridge of the ship I feel in particular just looks really empty, does nobody else find it a bit jarring? Also, I feel like I've watched some variation of nearly all the plotlines before, and there isn't much more depth to each episode. I think its great they've been given another series, not least because I do enjoy it despite its flaws, but hopefully more time allows them to flesh things out a bit in upcoming episodes.

I don't think Seth is great in the lead captain role, he does the sarcastic role well enough and he's very likable, but I just don't get a sense of authority from him at all, and it ruins immersion a little when things are supposed to get serious.

Bortus has some fucking amazing lines though. I do enjoy the wackiness. 'Now entering gloryhole.'

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Bridge is fine in my opinion, I like it personally.

What Trek episode have you seen where it addresses transgender issues, or xenophobic aliens on a holy crusade against the galaxy? The most religion we got in Trek was Bajor and they were peaceful.

The show is like 6 episodes in, it's still finding a foothold. As an example, DS9 is my favorite Trek and that shit was almost unwatchable it's first season and a half/two seasons.

As far as Seth, I'm no major fan of the guy but I'm really enjoying his role so far. I like the jokes inserted in here and there when things are getting real because to me it makes it more realistic and usually, it's well done and funny as well. The character he's playing is a guy who is getting his last shot to be a captain and who had been held out of the roll due to this exact type of stuff. He's playing it perfectly imo.

• 2Like

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm

What Trek episode have you seen where it addresses transgender issues, or xenophobic aliens on a holy crusade against the galaxy? The most religion we got in Trek was Bajor and they were peaceful.

The show is like 6 episodes in, it's still finding a foothold. As an example, DS9 is my favorite Trek and that shit was almost unwatchable it's first season and a half/two seasons.

As far as Seth, I'm no major fan of the guy but I'm really enjoying his role so far. I like the jokes inserted in here and there when things are getting real because to me it makes it more realistic and usually, it's well done and funny as well. The character he's playing is a guy who is getting his last shot to be a captain and who had been held out of the roll due to this exact type of stuff. He's playing it perfectly imo.

Its just nitpicking, I do like the show. The transgender issue hasn't specifically been done before, the overall episode felt a lot like that TNG episode where they are deciding on whether Data has sentience or not with picard and ryker both putting quite good cases forward, but I do feel this episode is probably the show's deepest and most unique. The xenophobic aliens one felt like the usual fare where a crew go undercover in an alien culture and end up befriending someone and later get their identities revealed, just in this case they are religious zealots or whatever. I didn't find that part particularly engaging.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

ST:TNG - Transgender issues episode The Outcast (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia
ST:TNG - Xenophobic species on a holy crusade... Borg. There are lots of others too. Pretty much any episode that was based around Prime Directive drama.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users