The Outer Worlds

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i think there are some direction choices that i don't particularly like, and some that don't seem to make sense. never seeing your character is something i don't agree with. fallout 4 has a lot of problems but i like how conversations were shown in that. the history of the setting doesn't quite make sense either, as the main character has been in hibernation for what, just under a century? except you have NO idea that everything is run by corporations. it says right in the beginning (somewhere, i can't remember where i saw it) that colonists had to sign their life away to indentured servitude just to be allowed ON a colony ship. but then whenever your character runs into someone who behaves like they are property of whatever corporation they are indentured to, your character responds like they don't understand.

i'm really enjoying the game, i just wish it was more internally consistent and that these places felt more lived in. i get a real strong firefly vibe from a lot of it, i just don't think it does enough to feel sincere about it's own world

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For the first two perks, I went with walk & sprint speed. Modded my shotgun to shoot plasma. So fun the sprint into dudes faces and melt them.

I picked up the Drug Addiction flaw on this first planet. Seems worth it since you frequently use the healing inhaler anyway.

The game is great. Space Fallout ftw.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Evernothing

Haven't bought the game yet, but I'm thinking some Reshade filter treatment could really improve the look of this game, esp. if (like me) you find the over-saturated colours a bit jarring. Anyone fiddled with it yet?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
For the first two perks, I went with walk & sprint speed. Modded my shotgun to shoot plasma. So fun the sprint into dudes faces and melt them.

I picked up the Drug Addiction flaw on this first planet. Seems worth it since you frequently use the healing inhaler anyway.

The game is great. Space Fallout ftw.

I went with walking speed + load carrying. I figured in any game like this the bulk of what I will be doing is walking around stealing everything not nailed down.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah, i think there are some direction choices that i don't particularly like, and some that don't seem to make sense. never seeing your character is something i don't agree with. fallout 4 has a lot of problems but i like how conversations were shown in that. the history of the setting doesn't quite make sense either, as the main character has been in hibernation for what, just under a century? except you have NO idea that everything is run by corporations. it says right in the beginning (somewhere, i can't remember where i saw it) that colonists had to sign their life away to indentured servitude just to be allowed ON a colony ship. but then whenever your character runs into someone who behaves like they are property of whatever corporation they are indentured to, your character responds like they don't understand.

i'm really enjoying the game, i just wish it was more internally consistent and that these places felt more lived in. i get a real strong firefly vibe from a lot of it, i just don't think it does enough to feel sincere about it's own world

I am still early but I don't think people on earth were given that good of an idea exactly what kind of corporate hell hole they were going to. I can see accepting limited indenturement but when you get to things like grave rental fees I am pretty sure nobody would ever have gotten onto the colony ships if that level of nonsense was known. Given the distance I imagine any communications with earth take a long time and are heavily filtered for content.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I went with walking speed + load carrying. I figured in any game like this the bulk of what I will be doing is walking around stealing everything not nailed down.

I do not think it is as valuable here if you have the tech tree up to 20 so you can sell to vending machines. Which are basically everywhere.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think that's my only real complaint about the game... For a society thats completely immersed in the power of unchecked corporations there is next to no punishment for theft. If you get caught stealing something all you say is "i'll be on my way" and that's all it takes for them to walk away

I think a lot of it is the people don't actually own any of the stuff anyways and the corporations largely don't care that much that you are taking stuff from people to weak to protect it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The lack of repercussions for theft is definitely pretty lame. You don't even have to make a bare minimum effort when it comes to robbing everyone because you can just sell to vending machines that don't give a shit.

Having to deal with black market for stolen goods is a good kind of immersion for this kind of thing.

j00t

the same company that decided to make heavier cans so they could put less saltuna in them would definitely care about their product not being bought

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
the same company that decided to make heavier cans so they could put less saltuna in them would definitely care about their product not being bought

I like that you can make the inhaler I to a tuna inhaler.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
wait, what? you can? what?

Once you unlock the medical tree to 20 and up you can mix and match whatever the fuck you want into the inhaler. Mine is the good ol tuna, speed, and adreno juice combo.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sadly with the advent of mutiplayer and massive multiplayer games, I cannot do single player games anymore. Every time I start one and figure, yeah , lets do this story, I keep thinking to myself, why am I doing this if I could be grinding xxx in multiplayer game ZZZ?

• 1Solidarity

j00t

Once you unlock the medical tree to 20 and up you can mix and match whatever the fuck you want into the inhaler. Mine is the good ol tuna, speed, and adreno juice combo.

sadly, i have to admit my medical skill is 50 and i've never mixed anything... what does that combo even do?

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
sadly, i have to admit my medical skill is 50 and i've never mixed anything... what does that combo even do?

+25% health pool, regen on bullet time and the adreno heal.

• 1Solidarity

Crone

Sadly with the advent of mutiplayer and massive multiplayer games, I cannot do single player games anymore. Every time I start one and figure, yeah , lets do this story, I keep thinking to myself, why am I doing this if I could be grinding xxx in multiplayer game ZZZ?
Whats a game being multi-player have to do with your aversion? Your reason for not playing, that you gave, is not exclusive to multilayer games. Grinding happens in single player as well?

j00t

my guess is that multiplayers in the current market are all carrot on a stick games. single player games might have the carrot on a stick for a period of a time, but you'll eventually attain everything that there is. with multiplayer games there's always another step

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
To show off your wears to everyone else. Even though in reality no one gives a fuck anyway. Its still a driving force behind grinding shit in mutiplayer. To be the first, to be one of the first, to show off how much of a badass (a sit in nerd) you really are. In single player you just dont get that.

Plus its always better to play with other people whether competitively or cooperatively.

• 1Cringe

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
To show off your wears to everyone else. Even though in reality no one gives a fuck anyway. Its still a driving force behind grinding shit in mutiplayer. To be the first, to be one of the first, to show off how much of a badass (a sit in nerd) you really are. In single player you just dont get that.

Plus its always better to play with other people whether competitively or cooperatively.

Not multiplayer but this is why this game doesn't appeal that much to me either. It was also why I actually liked Fallout 4 over the older ones. I honestly don't care for actual role playing with tons of dialogue trees and what not. I just want to go out and kill shit and pry the loot from their cold dead hands. Yeah the story was shit in FO4 and the dialogue was laughable, but really the majority of my time was spent loading into the game, picking a direction, and then entering every location as they popped up and seeing where the big chest at the end was, and what it held. It was the perfect game for me. Most of your looter games do not have the open freedom or scale of world. Also I loved the single player aspect of it. Also I really don't like having a hard level cap with very limited amounts of points to put into your build. I'm not saying you should be able to unlock every single perk in the game in one play through, but having the ability to unlock the plurality of them is a must for me. Not only that the Capitalism is pure evil shtick does not appeal to me at all, but whatever.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My early impressions are that it's a solid game. The framework is good, and will provide a good basis for future instalments where they will hopefully flesh it out into something really good. That sad, there's something very "flat" about the game. It feels lifeless, even when surrounded by NPC's. Part of it is the really lackluster music which is barely there, and another aspect is that somehow the NPC's come across as mannequins even when they're doing idle animations.

It is too heavy on the corps = bad angle, and I rolled my eyes at yet another yokel lesbian companion character, but seems fine otherwise.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users