The Outer Worlds

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so i'm enjoying this game, and i don't want to imply anything negative about obsidian...

have you guys ever heard the phrase "good is the enemy of great?" i really get that feeling here. everything with the outer worlds is solid. the system is good, the voice work is good, the writing is good, the combat is good, the exploration is good, the itemization is good. but none of it is great. i don't know if there was a deadline that they just needed to make things good enough and push it out the door, or if the team was in a position where they lacked the drive to keep polishing things up... sometimes computers just have wonky bugs that creep up in the weirdest places and despite everything you try, the only way through it is to brute force a solution that takes time and energy. that can really sap a person's ability to go the extra mile. maybe for whatever reason simple things just took too much effort due to bugs or silly mistakes that aren't noticed until they gum everything up... i don't know.

God of War FEELS like the people who made it loved making it. even when things were going wrong, it didn't interfere with how much passion those people had for what they were doing. i don't get that with outer worlds. i LIKE outer worlds... but... i also don't love it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lets be real here. 90% of us probably spent a dollar on this game. It can only be but so bad lol.
giphy.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've landed at Byzantium and my lack of a desire to keep going is starting to pile up. Does the game (mostly plot) get much better at some point, because I'm getting bored and struggling to keep interested.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
I've landed at Byzantium and my lack of a desire to keep going is starting to pile up. Does the game (mostly plot) get much better at some point, because I'm getting bored and struggling to keep interested.

Nope. I ended up going murder hobo for the last 10-15% of the game. I get it. Corporations are bad and everyone in this galaxy, with the exception of like three women, are incompetent.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Welll this game does succeed in making me want to spend another 100 hours playing new Vegas.

• 2Worf

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Game is honestly floating around a 7.5/10 range. It has all the pieces to make it at least a 9/10 game, but everything feels slightly incomplete. There's still plenty of fun to be had but damn... it just hurts that Obsidian was on the right track but couldn't follow through.

My build made the game way too easy on hard. I have my squad mates doing all the work. There was a perk for +EXP when squad mates do the killing. Now I just sit back and do nothing cause that's how I built my guy but now I'm kinda bored of the combat. Maybe next run I'll just build to go solo.
WHat build are you using?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

I went Ted Bundy through the rest when I hit there as well. I am about ready to wrap up everything tonight.

Overall opinion: They must have gotten rushed to get something out - but it lays a great framework for a great universe - however, I agree with most. A good game, not a great game, missing a lot of soul in a lived in world. Almost a theme park closed off version of Fallout. Not a lot of POI's to explore or reasons to go off the beat track. I am guessing with MS behind them, Outer Worlds 2 will be a lot more like the Fallout killer we have all been waiting for.

As far as the story, I personally feel it has a nice edge to it at the end when you are given a couple choices but it all seems forced like, "Ok we are done someone end this we have to ship it". Almost like the build up of Gane of Thrones over the years and them wham, it's all over in 3 hours".

But if I were you, and are burning out, just brute force the rest of the main story and main story only. You get an option to save before the point of no return.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm done for now. Going to revisit after DLC/patches.

The tipping point for me was walking through the very underwhelming Byzantium and going into the parcel delivery place where the NPC's were all standing around just fidgeting like they were in some sort of stasis. It felt legitimately creepy. I almost expected them to break into T-poses. There's no life to this game. Even the aged Bethesda games manage to have more life-like entities than this.

• 1Worf

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I'm done for now. Going to revisit after DLC/patches.

The tipping point for me was walking through the very underwhelming Byzantium and going into the parcel delivery place where the NPC's were all standing around just fidgeting like they were in some sort of stasis. It felt legitimately creepy. I almost expected them to break into T-poses. There's no life to this game. Even the aged Bethesda games manage to have more life-like entities than this.
Thats one of the place that felt unfinished, the parcel deliver office in the city feels empty even though it has a bunch of NPCs standing around. There is also a defunct parcel sorting facility bellow with a a bunch of murderized employees (wasnt me i swear) which was screaming for a side quest which i could not find.

The only thing that put a smile on my face in Byzantium was
Sending that rich stuck up cunt down to the retirement area to get offed by murder Robots.

• 3Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah one has to wonder with all the other planets on the universe map, what happened to all that. It's obvious they got cut short. Smells like another KOTOR 2 debacle.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You know what it is? In towns, nobody moves around. Everyone just chills in their spot, with a very small number of exceptions. They feel like props waiting for your input. All the open map stuff is all contained within their little areas, without things moving around the map as a whole. One of those lines of people in that parcel place are lined up 4-5 deep to a counter where no staff is standing, while there's a staffed one right next to them, with nobody waiting, which is clearly something meant for you at a later date.

It reminds me of the "Doom issue" where you get to a point where you recognize when you're going to trigger something happening and you learn to anticipate it, nullifying any of the surprise involved.

Even a poorly made town/city in Fallout 4 such as Diamond City managed to feel like an actual settlement despite how pathetic it was.

Again, the core game is solid, but it's an Anorexic that needs a good 10lbs or more of flesh on its bones.

• 3Like

Crone

So Monarch is a ball buster for me on Hard. I'm not one to shy away from challenges in these games, and I get really stubborn, but I've ran into multiple bug "camps" now that I just can't beat. I think my spec is just all over the place, and so my companions die fast, I don't do that much damage with the weapons I have, and just overall not in a good place.

Edit: Annnddd a third camp that's just ball busting me. Mega Raptidon. Bothers me that there is all this shit and I'm just supposed to avoid it all?

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So Monarch is a ball buster for me on Hard. I'm not one to shy away from challenges in these games, and I get really stubborn, but I've ran into multiple bug "camps" now that I just can't beat. I think my spec is just all over the place, and so my companions die fast, I don't do that much damage with the weapons I have, and just overall not in a good place.

Edit: Annnddd a third camp that's just ball busting me. Mega Raptidon. Bothers me that there is all this shit and I'm just supposed to avoid it all?

The western side of the river is harder than the eastern side. This is also where the game forces you to figure out damage types and vulnerabilities. they'll be easier with the right ones.

• 1Like

Crone

The western side of the river is harder than the eastern side. This is also where the game forces you to figure out damage types and vulnerabilities. they'll be easier with the right ones.
I agree, the weapons I have now just do shit damage to them.

And got a 4th camp that is impossible. Mantiqueen, and all her goons. FML

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Wrapped this up. Spoiler free, I like how it ended and left a really good base for a sequel of some sort. However, like most have said, stagnant at the end and felt VERY rushed. Soulless even. Still worth it to finish it.

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
If i didn't pay a dollar for this I would be seething. The loot absolutely sucks dick, its the same generic shit from start to finish, you just add a couple of mods, and tinker the level up, with a couple of " science weapons " thrown in the mix. Armor is just equip whatever has the highest defense or you are dead in 1 hit. The game is completely on rails, and kills any replay value. You can get almost all your skills over 100 which adds to killing the repay value. Not to mention the game is short, I did the majority of quests and finished the game in about 24 hours, on hard. The game has one boss fight. the ending is completely lazily done. A streamer who killed everything, not doing a single quests, got the same generic ending.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
What I do like is the very real way they let you choose to murder hobo if you want to. I got to a point where it was very clear there was a peaceful resolution possible, but one of the faction characters didn't care for how I had handled an earlier question and thus wouldn't play along.

So I shot her in the face and proceeded to murder everyone she ever cared about to spite the bitch. The game was perfectly happy to let me do this and the plot moved forward from there without so much as a hitch.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm glad there's more people with the same general complaints about this game. I'm afraid of turning into cynical old bastard, and I haven't seen much in this game that I like. Don't really hate anything about it, it just interests me about as much as FIFA.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jozu

Loot system is atrocious. What the FUCK IS SO HARD ABOUT CREATING PROPER ITEMIZATION.

FUCK. No one cares about stupid 20 second canned tuna combat upgrade, or useless gun number 1325, for fucks sake expand the weapon mods, get rid of clutter and create more unique randomized items.

It's truly insane how item systems in RPGs in 2019 are the same if not worse than in 2002.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users