The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Hello, I am a country and I just filed a spaceship patent with myself

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Doesn't take long if you just read the actual words he types and not the twats he links.
Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Didn't know where else to put this but I've got a bit of a Mandela Effect. When I was a very small kid (circa the mid-1980's) I remember being really into studying world maps the first chance I got. I was...I want to say 3-5. Well, I remember the maps being different than they are now. Like consistently different. Now it's possible my brain just completely misinterpreted what I was seeing, given my age. I had a weird brain and absorbed information like a sponge, with a photographic memory. That photographic memory is why this whole thing is so weird to me and not necessarily something I just chalk up to a misunderstanding. I remember that:

A) The USSR was bigger and went WELL into southern Europe. Balkans, Yugoslavia, Italy, southern France, and Spain were all USSR.

B) Lebanon was a part of Israel. I've always been thrown-off every time I see Lebanon on a map because as a kid I thought that was "northern Israel". Also Sinai was part of Israel. The state was shaped like a big checkmark, more or less.

C) China was bigger and included Mongolia.

D) Korea was just one country. To the point that in the early 2000's when North Korea landed on everyone's radar, I immediately wondered "when did that happen" because Korea as I knew it was just one country.

Now it's possible I was seeing old maps in the case of Korea. Except I don't think there was ever a time when Mongolia or Lebanon were annexed, and USSR certainly didn't go all the way to the Atlantic at any point.

Much like being surprised that Mandela was alive because I remembered him dying in prison in 1988, I had a few similar experiences over the years with seeing maps and having them not be what I remembered from a few years earlier.

Also, I'd say it isn't particularly hard to come up with a geopolitical scenario where all four of the above things would happen, and all be connected to each other no less. All comes down to what decisionmakers did after WW2. If USSR was significantly more successful in WW2 and able to take a lot more postwar land, China moved to annex a buffer zone with them, and the West gave Israel more territory (perhaps as a response to losing ground to the commies), all of that makes sense. There's no Korean war in that scenario either which explains D.

TLDR I'd chalk all this up to faulty kid-brain if it weren't for the fact that all of these differences make total sense in the context of each other. Makes me wonder if I remember some other reality where the outcome of WW2 went very differently and the mid-80's had a different world (though not that much different). Which, if we do have a bunch of timelines in reality, it stands to reason that in a ton of them WW2's outcome could have a whole spectrum of changes due to the day-to-day decisions often having such massive ramifications.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Didn't know where else to put this but I've got a bit of a Mandela Effect. When I was a very small kid (circa the mid-1980's) I remember being really into studying world maps the first chance I got. I was...I want to say 3-5. Well, I remember the maps being different than they are now. Like consistently different. Now it's possible my brain just completely misinterpreted what I was seeing, given my age. I had a weird brain and absorbed information like a sponge, with a photographic memory. That photographic memory is why this whole thing is so weird to me and not necessarily something I just chalk up to a misunderstanding. I remember that:

A) The USSR was bigger and went WELL into southern Europe. Balkans, Yugoslavia, Italy, southern France, and Spain were all USSR.

B) Lebanon was a part of Israel. I've always been thrown-off every time I see Lebanon on a map because as a kid I thought that was "northern Israel". Also Sinai was part of Israel. The state was shaped like a big checkmark, more or less.

C) China was bigger and included Mongolia.

D) Korea was just one country. To the point that in the early 2000's when North Korea landed on everyone's radar, I immediately wondered "when did that happen" because Korea as I knew it was just one country.

Now it's possible I was seeing old maps in the case of Korea. Except I don't think there was ever a time when Mongolia or Lebanon were annexed, and USSR certainly didn't go all the way to the Atlantic at any point.

Much like being surprised that Mandela was alive because I remembered him dying in prison in 1988, I had a few similar experiences over the years with seeing maps and having them not be what I remembered from a few years earlier.

Also, I'd say it isn't particularly hard to come up with a geopolitical scenario where all four of the above things would happen, and all be connected to each other no less. All comes down to what decisionmakers did after WW2. If USSR was significantly more successful in WW2 and able to take a lot more postwar land, China moved to annex a buffer zone with them, and the West gave Israel more territory (perhaps as a response to losing ground to the commies), all of that makes sense. There's no Korean war in that scenario either which explains D.

TLDR I'd chalk all this up to faulty kid-brain if it weren't for the fact that all of these differences make total sense in the context of each other. Makes me wonder if I remember some other reality where the outcome of WW2 went very differently and the mid-80's had a different world (though not that much different). Which, if we do have a bunch of timelines in reality, it stands to reason that in a ton of them WW2's outcome could have a whole spectrum of changes due to the day-to-day decisions often having such massive ramifications.

I was also really into maps and I definitely dont remember seeing what you think you saw

In case of A, maybe you saw a map version that lumped Warsaw Pact countries into USSR bloc, but that doesnt explain why you'd see USSR in Italy, Spain or France