The Predator (2018)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Monster squad is the shit. Wolf man gots nards
I still love Monster Squad too. Also suppossedly Black wrote or was writing The Last Boyscout on the set of Predator.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Didn’t you all know? Those predators were just kids on a boy scout mission*. They got tired of us butchering children here for their monkey badge. Here comes the adults.

*Actual Outer Limits episode. Real geeks know what I mean.

Hah, one of the few I saw as a kid. And iirc that episode will be way better than this crappy movie.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fun thing....you don't see the kid in this trailer. Maybe the kid transforms into that black hybrid predatossaurus.

Sendaar

Nom Nom Nom
This looks like shit, if anything i wish they'd continue the plot from the first PvA, pyramids, humans as cattle etc.

I believe this movie is doing just that. I believe the last AvP movie had an end credits scene with an alien bursting out of a predators chest. I'm betting that's what we saw in the trailer, a Predalien.

Edit: Sorry just saw you say the first AvP only.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I believe this movie is doing just that. I believe the last AvP movie had an end credits scene with an alien bursting out of a predators chest. I'm betting that's what we saw in the trailer, a Predalien.

Edit: Sorry just saw you say the first AvP only.

lol what? NO

the predalien is used in AVP 2 which takes place immediately after AVP.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
AvP 2 has a rare distinction of being one of the few movies I've sat down intending to watch ( as opposed to flicking around the channels ) got into it a bit and gone no - shut it off.

There's only 3 or 4 like that, total.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Pretty disappointed with the director for not being more inclusive of disenfranchised minorities in this. It's 2018, peoples. We've waited long enough for a tranny predator.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I don’t understand... why is this happening? Why can’t people get movies right any more? This doesn’t seem hard... why is everything so fucking lame with woefully miscalculated tone?

My wife and I watched the original Alien the other night because she had never seen it. She was fucking shocked by how good it was.

Screamfeeder Screamfeeder please explain this shit. I’m baffled.

This is my opinion, but it is an informed opinion so take it as you will.

The 70's, 80's and into the mid/late 90's was a special time in feature film. You had a ton of original or semi-original properties that were great hits right away, AND stuck into the collective culture around them all the way until today. They were also the movies that a lot of screenwriters of today grew up with or had large portions of their formative years being exposed to. Sure you had bad re-makes back then (Predator 2, Die Hard 2) but even THOSE re-makes went on to have their own fanbase and cheerleaders after 10+ years.

Nostalgia is the lesser of the problems in my mind, but the one that is the most direct link to why you have such terrible remakes or re-imagining of older properties. You have writers looking to take a "fresh look" at a beloved property, but not examining what specifically made the original so great to begin with. The thing is, you can't recreate that special kind of magic twice. Predator worked the way it did because of the time in which it came out. It meshed so well with the year and where we as a country and people were that it was obviously going to be seen as a great movie, especially by those that were alive in that time. Trying to "update" that magic into our current world just will not work, but there is a large enough audience of people that do remember how great the original was and they can't help but think "maybe they got it back!" and spending money to go see it, only to be left disappointed or angry.

This leads to some OTHER person thinking THEY got the magic THIS time and here we go again with another Aliens or Predator or Indiana Jones movie. Problem is, no one is going to capture that same magic. But, instead of taking a chance on a new property with original ideas, you simply bank on the pre-prepared audience you already have to at least pay for the production costs and earn enough to make it viable.

The Social media issue is a bit easier to explain. We have it now and it is POWERFUL when it comes to critiquing entertainment. Imagine if Rambo came out in 2015 followed by Commando and then Predator in 2019. Half the posts about those movies would be "Hollywood has no original ideas!" even though those are three distinctly different movies. Would that tank them? Maybe, maybe not because I have no idea of knowing if movies like that would do well. Now take all their sequals and apply that to something like John Wick. We already have 3 in the works with a TV spin off. And people are excited for that. It's hard to say that re-makes/sequels don't work when they so clearly do.

You also just have the Internet Hate Machine which will grind down anything it doesn't like with the force of a million+ voices in an instant. That can be pretty intimidating to a marketing or development VP when trying to sell or create any property that gets even the slightest bad news instantly delivered to your face via tweet or reddit post.

Here is a little secret. Most of the good talent is going into TV. I don't mean directors or the actors, but the people behind them. Those VP's, creative execs, writers etc. We are in a Golden Age of quality television/streaming programing and the last 10 years have seen a MASSIVE shift in where certain people want to be. It can be easier to book a DP on a three episode, one month run of a 10 episode series than it can for a 6 month feature schedule. It pays less, but you can do more with it and do 3 of those gigs a year and have a LOT more control over your own little realm.

There are other major factors as well (MegaCorp Media Consolidation) but I have to run into a meeting about the newest Beetlejuice remake.

beetlejuice-goes-hawaiian.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

The 70's, 80's and into the mid/late 90's was a special time in feature film. You had a ton of original or semi-original properties that were great hits right away, AND stuck into the collective culture around them all the way until today. They were also the movies that a lot of screenwriters of today grew up with or had large portions of their formative years being exposed to. Sure you had bad re-makes back then (Predator 2, Die Hard 2) but even THOSE re-makes went on to have their own fanbase and cheerleaders after 10+ years.

Nostalgia is the lesser of the problems in my mind, but the one that is the most direct link to why you have such terrible remakes or re-imagining of older properties. You have writers looking to take a "fresh look" at a beloved property, but not examining what specifically made the original so great to begin with. The thing is, you can't recreate that special kind of magic twice. Predator worked the way it did because of the time in which it came out. It meshed so well with the year and where we as a country and people were that it was obviously going to be seen as a great movie, especially by those that were alive in that time. Trying to "update" that magic into our current world just will not work, but there is a large enough audience of people that do remember how great the original was and they can't help but think "maybe they got it back!" and spending money to go see it, only to be left disappointed or angry.

This leads to some OTHER person thinking THEY got the magic THIS time and here we go again with another Aliens or Predator or Indiana Jones movie. Problem is, no one is going to capture that same magic. But, instead of taking a chance on a new property with original ideas, you simply bank on the pre-prepared audience you already have to at least pay for the production costs and earn enough to make it viable.

The Social media issue is a bit easier to explain. We have it now and it is POWERFUL when it comes to critiquing entertainment. Imagine if Rambo came out in 2015 followed by Commando and then Predator in 2019. Half the posts about those movies would be "Hollywood has no original ideas!" even though those are three distinctly different movies. Would that tank them? Maybe, maybe not because I have no idea of knowing if movies like that would do well. Now take all their sequals and apply that to something like John Wick. We already have 3 in the works with a TV spin off. And people are excited for that. It's hard to say that re-makes/sequels don't work when they so clearly do.

You also just have the Internet Hate Machine which will grind down anything it doesn't like with the force of a million+ voices in an instant. That can be pretty intimidating to a marketing or development VP when trying to sell or create any property that gets even the slightest bad news instantly delivered to your face via tweet or reddit post.

Here is a little secret. Most of the good talent is going into TV. I don't mean directors or the actors, but the people behind them. Those VP's, creative execs, writers etc. We are in a Golden Age of quality television/streaming programing and the last 10 years have seen a MASSIVE shift in where certain people want to be. It can be easier to book a DP on a three episode, one month run of a 10 episode series than it can for a 6 month feature schedule. It pays less, but you can do more with it and do 3 of those gigs a year and have a LOT more control over your own little realm.

There are other major factors as well (MegaCorp Media Consolidation) but I have to run into a meeting about the newest Beetlejuice remake.

Honestly if I had to choose, i'd rather the best talent be in TV anyways. I'm a sucker for a good movie, but give me 8-12 hours of good storytelling over a movie any day of the week.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Honestly if I had to choose, i'd rather the best talent be in TV anyways. I'm a sucker for a good movie, but give me 8-12 hours of good storytelling over a movie any day of the week.
From a writing standpoint there is ZERO reason to do features over TV unless you want to have fun with a cheeky horror romp or you get the chance to do a MAJOR one like *insert Disney Owned Property Here*.

The paycheck is nice for features, but you run the risk of being the guy that fucked up a MAJOR property right behind the director.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Honestly, it's not too bad, all things considered. She at least has two hands on the gun and has it aligned with her eyesight. You might feel a negative repulsion and inability to maintain a firm stance if there was a hulking alien two feet in front of you.

And she's practicing trigger safety!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Won't live up to the original. I bet this shit isn't even rated R. Cali needs to fall off into the ocean.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
ETA on when we get the Predator reboot with all female cast and the first Female Predator....

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Girls Rule. Chicks can kill interstellar Alien Trophy Hunters. Get Over it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ETA on when we get the Predator reboot with all female cast and the first Female Predator....
Would take place in Disney world with soccer moms protecting their kids with the female park manager worried about how "we'd never reopen!"

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is written by Frank Dekker. He has written a couple movies I love. House, Night of the Creeps, and Monster Squad. I hope he brings that certain something to this movie.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
This is written by Frank Dekker. He has written a couple movies I love. House, Night of the Creeps, and Monster Squad. I hope he brings that certain something to this movie.

Come on, Chanur, you know that magic is long gone...

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider

Haha, hadn't read this thread until now. Is that Carmen Sandiego riding atop Beetlejuice?