The Prepper Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
My prepper plan is if shit hits the fan i'm going to befriend other preppers, kill them and take their shit! Also i'm training my girlfriend how to eat less, shoot guns and kick box so I don't have to fuck trannys when the world goes crazy!
tumblr_my9wvldDtP1soacgko5_400.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Also i'm training my girlfriend how to eat less, shoot guns and kick box so I don't have to fuck trannys when the world goes crazy!
Is there really much of a difference between being fucked by a tranny and being pegged by your girlfriend?

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Done some light boog prepping. Don't have time or resources to begin to pretend to go full off grid fantasy. But starting to debate with any election unrest if it's worth pulling out several thousand in cash and hide it. My biggest apprehension is that of course it's not covered if house burns down or whatever.

I can see where it's easy to get drug into the full omg thinking of every potential eventality. It does concern me greatly if any unrest gets bad enough to say interrupt internet and even power.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not sure what other thread for it. But after helping catch a loose dog and commenting on thanking them for being brave enough to fly a trump sign, got invited to the early stages of neighbors trying to create kinda disaster /antifa plan. Just general readiness and networking.

Aside from the kind of out of touch grandma, was pretty much a hero of guys that are pretty sane, not giving me the embarrassing larp militia vibes.

We are in an area I don't expect to see anything worse than someone destroying trump signs, but it feels kinda good to try and take on a project to help with some of the topics I can help with. Helps fight the rage and helplessness while watching the rest of the country burn.

First order of business is revisiting learning about cheap radio options. Solo never has much interest but now is a good a time as any to learn about cheap baofengs and get the dumb fcc basic operator liscence.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Not sure what other thread for it. But after helping catch a loose dog and commenting on thanking them for being brave enough to fly a trump sign, got invited to the early stages of neighbors trying to create kinda disaster /antifa plan. Just general readiness and networking.

Aside from the kind of out of touch grandma, was pretty much a hero of guys that are pretty sane, not giving me the embarrassing larp militia vibes.

We are in an area I don't expect to see anything worse than someone destroying trump signs, but it feels kinda good to try and take on a project to help with some of the topics I can help with. Helps fight the rage and helplessness while watching the rest of the country burn.

First order of business is revisiting learning about cheap radio options. Solo never has much interest but now is a good a time as any to learn about cheap baofengs and get the dumb fcc basic operator liscence.
Lemme know what you find. I was gonna get my ham years ago but never did..

Grab a sat phone. I have one. Need to buy minutes for it.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
You can see the inside of one of the cabinets here. There's a 1x3 that stretches all the way across the top of the van, bolted with rivnuts every 2ish feet. Then the cabinets are bolted into that. Have gas struts on all of them to hold the doors up.

Sink is 14"x16", and 8" deep (bar sink), and a normal kitchen faucet (I hate the van builds with shitty little faucets). The soap dispenser is actually the 2nd one. I really like it, but it was free hanging and on a trip to Yosemite last year I guess it was brittle and broke. Pictures under the sink later where I hope I've solved that. Using Dr. Bronner's soap we can dump the "grey" water anywhere (biodegradeable). There's also a cutout for the sink (in my last pictures it was in the sink) if we need the counter space. I doubt we will, cause that's a shit load of counter for a van.

Same deal as the bottom of the rear doors, except there wasn't a black plastic piece on the top there. It was just an open cavity. Installed some smaller rivnuts and put those in. I should also mention that I treated those pieces of wood, and a massive spot around the sliding door area with a mold/sealant product so that hopefully the wood doesn't have issues with water. I also on the last build had spackled and painted over the screws for the walls, but spackle doesn't hold up super awesome with 70-80mph roads. Oh, and I should also mention now about the framing. So I have 1x3's at the top there, but there are also ones running along the middle part of the van and bottom. There are then "floating" ones connecting all those, essentially like you'd have framing a wall (although the spacing is weird because of the van shape). So essentially if I took all the walls off, you'd see wall framing with insulation between it.

Anyway, there are also soft close hinges on all the cabinet doors, which you can see. As well as the magnets to hold them closed.

One of the things I dislike though is how the cabinets aren't completely flush (you can see the difference in this one between the old cabinets above the bed, and the new ones above the kitchen). Because of how fucking wonky the van, it was a god damn nightmare to get stuff flush. The cabinets below the sink used to be flush, but when we took them off to paint those got fucked up too. Oh well.

This one has the window. Came after the fan, but because it's not on the roof where no one would see (the van is like 8'6" I think?), it was so much worse cutting into the side. Dog fucking loves that window though. We take the reflectix cover off in the morning before we get up so she can watch.

Here's the electric, sitting behind the driver's seat. On the left is the fuse box (fan, main ceiling lights, rear ceiling lights, water pump, USB, fridge) and a fuse from the solar to the charge controller, middle is the charge controller which is hooked up to the battery, the solar panels, and the fuse box. Next to it is the battery isolator (connects to house battery and van battery; allowing the house battery to charge off the alternator). Below is a fuse between the battery and charge controller. Bottom is obviously the 100A lithium battery.

On the right side is the 1000W inverter. It has an extension cord that I just chopped up and connected to a normal 110 outlet. Previously I had a chain that also had one on the ceiling (we had a projector, but it was an asspain to set up so we decided to not use it anymore), and then one on the passenger side (which is now that light switch). We realized we don't really need 110 power that much though. The inverter has a GFCI built in. Below the inverter is another fuse between it and the battery, with a heavy duty switch to shut it off. Battery, isolator, and inverter are grounded to the one of the ribs of the van. There's also a false floor behind the driver's side (in that shoe thing I built) where there's a fuse between the isolator and van battery, and another one of those switches in case we don't want to charge. The isolator has a button you can push to reverse the flow in case you need to jump your car battery

Last one, under the sink for the plumbing. Flexible p trap so I can unhook it from the grey tank (Home Depot bucket) easily. Ideally I'd like to get a 5-10 gallon water tank and mount it under the van, and then just run the drain through the floor. Left side is the water pump (12v), and it runs to a water accumulator which helps even out the water pressure so it's like a normal sink. Only thing is we don't have hot water. You can see the little housing I built for the soap dispenser. The piece of wood right below it comes out so I can put the bottle back in (screws in). We also had an issue last year with the barbed connector between the accumulator and tubing springing a leak (I think it got heavy and just pulled down over time), so now I've got a bunch of velcro straps to hold it up and keep it straight. It got water fucking everywhere and I was super pissed for our whole trip. I probably should've done this in something like PEX, but for some reason I couldn't figure out how to connect it to the pump. Just weird sizes and shit. In fact, I spent HOURS in the Home Depot plumbing aisle coming up with solutions to even get this shit working. I had to solder this fucking bizarre ass 3 way valve in order to get the tubing to connect to the two water lines for the sink.

Anyway, that's about it. Think I covered just about everything, Chuk.
This is cool. Only thing I'd do is weld steel reinforcement plating on the inside, drop a diesel engine in it and upgrade the suspension to compensate for the added weight.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This guy seems to think food shortages may be on the horizon based on low soy inventories. Makes some good points overall. I'm not sure if legit food shortages are a certainty in the US, but if there are disruptions I have 0 faith in our new "elected" leaders to respond appropriately. Definitely lit a fire under me to order some dry goods, and the price has drastically increased since same time last year, probably doubled in price.

Also, anecdotally, bought a bag of apples back in March and the things were still edible, not spoiled after sitting in the fridge for 9 months, so adding a couple of bags of those to my fridge.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, apples can last for months in the fridge. Actually, it's pretty common for the apples at the store to be months old already, especially if it's not apple season.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I found out over the weekend that it takes 80 cords of wood per day to heat my house with the wood stove, so I need to move to the redwoods apparently. Since I live in farm country, the only trees around me are orchards or small birch trees along the river 0.25 miles away.

Solar is a shit option around here, too. I need to move somewhere in the US with no winter and as few democrats as possible. What's that leave me?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The desert. Rural parts of Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado. Stay away from the mountains and you'll avoid the democrats. On the other hand, those areas suck for other reasons.

• 1Worf

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I found out over the weekend that it takes 80 cords of wood per day to heat my house with the wood stove, so I need to move to the redwoods apparently. Since I live in farm country, the only trees around me are orchards or small birch trees along the river 0.25 miles away.

Solar is a shit option around here, too. I need to move somewhere in the US with no winter and as few democrats as possible. What's that leave me?

80.....cords?

It's been awhile, but isn't a cord 4'x24'x16"? I buy 2/3 of a cord every winter.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

I'm not sure if legit food shortages are a certainty in the US, but if there are disruptions I have 0 faith in our new "elected" leaders to respond appropriately.
If 2020 has shown me anything, we are all genuinely fucked if something serious comes down the pike.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre

Keeping in mind that all states do have at least some democrats, probably the ones with least winter and least democrats would be Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama. Enjoy.

Lol.

• 1Picard
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You don’t have any trees around you, but solar’s a bad option? 🤨

Get a half-dozen industrial panels, mount them on an angled array facing south, and run some cable wherever you’re keeping your LiFePO4 bank. That should be enough to run a reasonably efficient mini-split system.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Everywhere is a trade off.

Southeastern US while red as can be in some places, is full of mosquitoes, flooding and hurricanes.
Southwestern US is becoming ever more filled with California refugees and while no snow/ice winters in Phoenix, basically every where is dependent on easily disrupted canals for water
Plains can have mild winters until you get a freak blizzard then when its summer time youre dealing with random tornadoes
Pacific coast is libtard central but ideally the best place in terms of climate

Best bet is probably going to be Utah/Wyoming/Idaho. Id say Arizona too but well you see how its gone recently.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Wtf. You live in Malbork Castle?
First winter in our new house that was built in the 50s. I need to plug a lot of drafty spots and replace some windows, 3 of which are huge floor to ceiling windows. The woodstove is so old that the factory didn't even have designs for their baffle system anymore, and the fireplace is....well, it's a fireplace that doesn't do much for heat.

I just had fires roaring over the Christmas holiday because the woman wanted them. The fireplace was just for ambience and doesn't put out much heat. The woodstove heats about 2/3 of the house just fine, but rips through wood. I know the lady that owns the woodstove store down the street and she said I could expect to burn 8-10 cords of wood with this woodstove, or 3 to 4 if I were to get a new efficient one.