The Prepper Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yeah...but 80 (even 8-10) cords of wood a day is pretty much impossible unless you're trying to heat a stadium.
It was an extreme exaggeration with a number so high that I thought the exaggeration was obvious enough to avoid dumb questions.

• 2Worf
  • 1Imbecile
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
It was an extreme exaggeration with a number so high that I thought the exaggeration was obvious enough to avoid dumb questions.
Man I've seen dudes calling those bundles you buy at the store "cords" so I was just checking.

What kind of wood is it? You have a choice of hard vs soft because I know some stoves will output much better heat with different kinds.

• 1Potato
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Man I've seen dudes calling those bundles you buy at the store "cords" so I was just checking.

What kind of wood is it? You have a choice of hard vs soft because I know some stoves will output much better heat with different kinds.
I have Carhart boxers on, a gun under the desk and a can of chew with a splash of whiskey in my pocket. I know what a cord of wood is....

The wood I got for Christmas is pine, pretty sure it's ponderosa pine. I could only find one place in town that would let me come and load up my car myself and this is all I saw at the lot. No idea what else is available around here.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Why not buy land and harvest your own wood? Buying wood is for city soyboys and urbanites. Just don't understand you city people.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Everywhere is a trade off.

Southeastern US while red as can be in some places, is full of mosquitoes, flooding and hurricanes.
Southwestern US is becoming ever more filled with California refugees and while no snow/ice winters in Phoenix, basically every where is dependent on easily disrupted canals for water
Plains can have mild winters until you get a freak blizzard then when its summer time youre dealing with random tornadoes
Pacific coast is libtard central but ideally the best place in terms of climate

Best bet is probably going to be Utah/Wyoming/Idaho. Id say Arizona too but well you see how its gone recently.

Eastern or Northern Idaho. Boise area is overun with Cali/Wash/Ore people fleeing the messes they created. Eastern Idaho you get the Tetons and as a plus a front row seat to the planet's most epic explosion if the Yellowstone caldera ever pops.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Softwood like pine is great kindling and it burns hotter but unless you want to do a chimney sweep half way through the season I'd be a little weary of burning strait softwood due to the supposed extra creosote buildup - some old timers say that's a myth though. We have oak coming out our ass up here so that's all we burn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Softwood like pine is great kindling and it burns hotter but unless you want to do a chimney sweep half way through the season I'd be a little weary of burning strait softwood due to the supposed extra creosote buildup - some old timers say that's a myth though. We have oak coming out our ass up here so that's all we burn.

Creosote buildup is a real thing. I kept my stacks pretty clean...or so I thought. One day it all lit and took off. I closed it down and tossed all the fire safety sticks I had in there and it was still woofing 02 through the stack. My house was log oiled, and the oil on the wall near the stove melted. My house definitely would have burned right to the ground if I didn't have all those safety sticks. Not a myth!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Creosote buildup is a real thing. I kept my stacks pretty clean...or so I thought. One day it all lit and took off. I closed it down and tossed all the fire safety sticks I had in there and it was still woofing 02 through the stack. My house was log oiled, and the oil on the wall near the stove melted. My house definitely would have burned right to the ground if I didn't have all those safety sticks. Not a myth!

oh I know it's real - it's just does softwood add more at a significantly higher rate than hardwood? A lot of people say yes, some say no.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I swept chimneys for a winter to put myself through EMT school, so I got to see both sides of chimney fires (I actually got sent out to fix one that I responded to my first shift doing a ride-along with the fire department). All of the damage that the fire department did/does is to make sure the embers haven't gotten into the walls or attic, but the fire itself is pretty easy to put out with a couple of "chimney bombs". We would take the dry chem used in fire extinguishers and fill up ziplock bags or rubber gloves with it and chuck them down the chimney to put it out. 2 to 4 of them did it every time. No idea how well that would work if you didn't want to get up on the roof. Never tried tossing one in from inside.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Southeastern US while red as can be in some places, is full of mosquitoes, flooding and hurricanes.
Southwestern US is becoming ever more filled with California refugees and while no snow/ice winters in Phoenix, basically every where is dependent on easily disrupted canals for water
Plains can have mild winters until you get a freak blizzard then when its summer time youre dealing with random tornadoes

Best bet is probably going to be Utah/Wyoming/Idaho. Id say Arizona too but well you see how its gone recently.

Western 1/3 of WY is incredibly expensive and a fair number of liberals. The eastern 2/3 you most likely would not want to live there where 50mph winds are just a "breezy day" 24 hours a day.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You can look up btu's for various woods. Hickory is near the top for woods readiably available and various oaks. Pine varies a lot, longleaf pine can very very bad to burn in a fireplace. It used to be tapped to drain for turpentine. Where "lighter pine" comes from and some of it can be too damn hot to put in a fireplace. I order by the chord split and such and it's normally a mix of red and white oak and hickory. Whatever the cutter got to that day.

I've never burned pine other than small pieces of lighter pine to get it going, very small pieces. It can and will pop a lot and I never liked the smell. Woods out west, no idea. Here in the land of pine you can't buy pine that is split etc...it's hauled off for pulpwood for a reason. The chart doesn't have the 4 types of southern yellow pine available in the southeast for a reason. Nobody burns it, except in piles on a logging site.

Getting a chrod of hophornbeam would be a biblical like undertaking lol.

Firewood+BTU+Content+Charts.jpg

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You can look up btu's for various woods. Hickory is near the top for woods readiably available and various oaks. Pine varies a lot, longleaf pine can very very bad to burn in a fireplace. It used to be tapped to drain for turpentine. Where "lighter pine" comes from and some of it can be too damn hot to put in a fireplace. I order by the chord split and such and it's normally a mix of red and white oak and hickory. Whatever the cutter got to that day.

I've never burned pine other than small pieces of lighter pine to get it going, very small pieces. It can and will pop a lot and I never liked the smell. Woods out west, no idea. Here in the land of pine you can't buy pine that is split etc...it's hauled off for pulpwood for a reason. The chart doesn't have the 4 types of southern yellow pine available in the southeast for a reason. Nobody burns it, except in piles on a logging site.

Getting a chrod of hophornbeam would be a biblical like undertaking lol.

Firewood+BTU+Content+Charts.jpg
Jesus, I didn't know Ironwood was primo for the woodstove. That shit is all over the west Maui mountains. We used to shut down work for 2 days a year and just mow down all of the areas along the footpath where it was popping up again. All of the Hawaiians would take the kiawe home for BBQs and stuff, but I know multiple coworkers had family that lived upcountry and had woodstoves, but never saw anyone take ironwood home.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Out west we don't have access to a lot of hardwood unless you're on the coast. Pine isn't the greatest firewood but there's an infinite supply right out my back door. The only real hardwood that grows here is Ash and there's way less of it than pine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
First winter in our new house that was built in the 50s. I need to plug a lot of drafty spots and replace some windows, 3 of which are huge floor to ceiling windows. The woodstove is so old that the factory didn't even have designs for their baffle system anymore, and the fireplace is....well, it's a fireplace that doesn't do much for heat.

I just had fires roaring over the Christmas holiday because the woman wanted them. The fireplace was just for ambience and doesn't put out much heat. The woodstove heats about 2/3 of the house just fine, but rips through wood. I know the lady that owns the woodstove store down the street and she said I could expect to burn 8-10 cords of wood with this woodstove, or 3 to 4 if I were to get a new efficient one.
you probably have too much winterizing on your plate your first move in year, imo replace the windows during warmer weather and just use this for the winter

e1157ef55b8a4230a67287f25d87717f.png

edit, you don't even have to use the blow dryer to be honest, that just makes it more "window looking" so it doesn't look like you have plastic over the windows, but does create a very strong barrier

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Eastern Wa/Idaho, they make food, and you have a massive river system.