The Prepper Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
if you live somewhere where your only survival choice is to "bug out" vs isolating and guarding your property, you're already dead
Depends on if you have somewhere to bug out to, and are willing to do so before everyone else bugs out.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Depends on if you have somewhere to bug out to, and are willing to do so before everyone else bugs out.

The answer to this is ‘no’ to 99% of people that live in metro or very high pop density areas

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if you live somewhere where your only survival choice is to "bug out" vs isolating and guarding your property, you're already dead

Yep. And if you leave the cities after the zombie apocalypse hits hard then you will be running into the barrel of a gun.

All of that fly over country is well armed and they would love for an excuse to give it back to the people who have been laughing at them all of these years.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yep. And if you leave the cities after the zombie apocalypse hits hard then you will be running into the barrel of a gun.

All of that fly over country is well armed and they would love for an excuse to give it back to the people who have been laughing at them all of these years.
This.

If things get so bad that you need to flee your home, rednecks will probably get you unless you really know what you're doing. That's one of the main reasons I had a thermal scope as one of my high priorities in my first covid prep post. Bit pricey, but extremely useful in that situation.

• 1Worf

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This.

If things get so bad that you need to flee your home, rednecks will probably get you unless you really know what you're doing. That's one of the main reasons I had a thermal scope as one of my high priorities in my first covid prep post. Bit pricey, but extremely useful in that situation.

I'm from fly over country so have places to stay, and it's already been offered. But I turned them down. If things get that bad then there is a good chance I would be bringing Covid with me. Not going to do that to my friends and family.

Besides, San Diego has some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world. I like my chances here.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m not a prepper, but Italy quarantining the entire county was a head turner. I’m a bit of a minimalist by nature, so prepping/hoarding is not my default setting.

Any fohbros got some pointers for a solid premade go bag? I figured I could start there, and work myself up to the whole guns n ammo in a bunker thing.

Anything premade is going to be garbage. Start with the 10C’s and go from there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m not a prepper, but Italy quarantining the entire county was a head turner. I’m a bit of a minimalist by nature, so prepping/hoarding is not my default setting.

Any fohbros got some pointers for a solid premade go bag? I figured I could start there, and work myself up to the whole guns n ammo in a bunker thing.

as always i provide
771d38384cea715c31279dd9a2511ed7.png

this is a nice consolidated list i follow, and you can print it out easily on one page (as a checklist)

note if you take everything "essential" you'll need at least a 40l bag, i've given up trying to fit everything in that and have gotten a super nice hiking bag. yes my first thought was, i should pack small, but then it's just not practical to "bug out" in a fucking bivy bag (it's basically a shit hits the fan sleeping bag) so i HAVE to have a semi decent 3 season sleeping bag, and then i HAVE to have a sleeping pad... not for comfort mind you, but to create an air barrier, the earth will suck away heat at night, just walk on cold concrete barefoot to see.

• 5Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK... Let's reel it back from all you Bear Grylls MF'rs in here a sec with a far more practical tip for food accumulation.. here we go....

You can, in fact, use shortening (i.e. Crisco) for almost everything you normally use butter for cooking (i.e. baking, etc...) And it keeps at room temp for years. It costs less than butter, and lasts longer without cold storage. I grew up with a grandmother who used it in all her cookies, biscuits, etc instead of butter. Here's what is essentially her biscuit recipe except she would use evaporated milk (another thing you should be accumulating for your long term pantry.)

• 5Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
OK... Let's reel it back from all you Bear Grylls MF'rs in here a sec with a far more practical tip for food accumulation.. here we go....

You can, in fact, use shortening (i.e. Crisco) for almost everything you normally use butter for cooking (i.e. baking, etc...) And it keeps at room temp for years. It costs less than butter, and lasts longer without cold storage. I grew up with a grandmother who used it in all her cookies, biscuits, etc instead of butter. Here's what is essentially her biscuit recipe except she would use evaporated milk (another thing you should be accumulating for your long term pantry.)

my shortening probably needs to be refreshed, it's only been used to season cast iron, maybe i'll just make a big batch of buttermilk fried chicken for a cheaat day

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Prepper dudes, prepping supplies are about to get hit, so get your shit together now, i.e. guns n shits are getting sold out

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Wanted to do some gun shopping today and the local Cabella's was out of the new pistol I wanted, and out of the simple pump action shotgun I wanted to pick up for the wife....

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If you are coming to this thread for advice it is already too late

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
as always i provide
771d38384cea715c31279dd9a2511ed7.png

this is a nice consolidated list i follow, and you can print it out easily on one page (as a checklist)

note if you take everything "essential" you'll need at least a 40l bag, i've given up trying to fit everything in that and have gotten a super nice hiking bag. yes my first thought was, i should pack small, but then it's just not practical to "bug out" in a fucking bivy bag (it's basically a shit hits the fan sleeping bag) so i HAVE to have a semi decent 3 season sleeping bag, and then i HAVE to have a sleeping pad... not for comfort mind you, but to create an air barrier, the earth will suck away heat at night, just walk on cold concrete barefoot to see.
It's all fun and games until you get caught out in a nuclear disaster without your
1584511621472.png

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I put feelers out to the few people I’m slightly more than indifferent to today, and none of them are remotely prepared for even a two week quarantine. The ones that were more concerned about my medical problems than their lack of preparedness got a couple boxes of good ammo and a few days of staple preps to engender goodwill. Being the Midwest, everyone has ample supply of precious booze.

My conscript army is starting to come together nicely.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just lost power. Opened up this solar setup i bought for camping but also the oncoming apocalypse.

IMG_20200329_141935.jpg

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users