The Prepper Thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
There are about 10 people on this forum I would give access to. The rest we will hunt for sport.

Well go ahead and send the 10 of us a PM and lets get the details hashed out before it's too late.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Having gone through SERE and some other less intense survival training, it is hard to overstate the quality of life improvement from having soy sauce, tabasco, cholula, or some other flavoring to add to your food.
Most people never think about currency and its value. Just fill a storage with salt, pepper, hot sauce and soy. Your barter would make you a Fallout 1%er.

Last edited:

Izo

Tranny Chaser
giphy.gif

You're all welcome in my lab vault, guinea pigs fellow citizens.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Pfft, I'm the only person on this forum still playing Fallout 76. The amount of pain and suffering of that helps replicate the feelings of living in a post apocalyptic world, better preparing me than most of the forum!

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's what I'm talking about, @Oldbased - No huge life changes, just factoring in some sort of prepper mindset in the life already being lived. I finally got my wife to start cooking these big bags of beans I got a long time ago because her mom showed her an awesome crock pot recipe. The sous vide actually helped her a lot because now she knows how easy it is to make good food. There's a mormon grocery store that just opened up across the street from my work and half of the store is dry bulk food, so we're going to stock up on a couple things from there after we spend half a saturday looking at some recipes for shit we can make with 100% long term storage type food.

I haven't tried the mountain house stuff, but ate a shit ton of MREs in my early 20s. Most of them are actually pretty good. Sure as hell better than my mom's cooking, at least.

ok i'mma stop looking at canning blogs and youtubes now, i don't even want to can for shit, but at least now i found out my elevation

probably not a bad option to throw in a outdoor temp/altimeter watch. currently the smartwatch i have will tell all that, but in my bugout bag i just have a casio solar powered watch, just in case.

canned meat!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
the best way to prep is to be fairly rural and be close friends with multiple neighbors, keep in touch with them often and have get togethers. bring up sort of half serious what "we'd all do" if shit went down and people will actually get into it and put thought into it - you'll find that between 5-10 rural families you'll have just about all your bases covered when it comes to a great survival knowledge base

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rime

<Donor>
the best way to prep is to be fairly rural and be close friends with multiple neighbors, keep in touch with them often and have get togethers. bring up sort of half serious what "we'd all do" if shit went down and people will actually get into it and put thought into it - you'll find that between 5-10 rural families you'll have just about all your bases covered when it comes to a great survival knowledge base

Only reason I go to the local church is for this. All the old-timers and the newer people who are not idiots stick around and chat over coffee for an hour or two after services.

A healthy community (in terms of skills, knowledge, and materials) is an absolute requirement for any situation to go from simple survival to thriving/rebuilding/lasting.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Don't forget with your preps to include your pets. They'll need things too and while it has upkeep a dog can be invaluable despite the upkeep.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Don't forget with your preps to include your pets. They'll need things too and while it has upkeep a dog can be invaluable despite the upkeep.

if shit hit the fan and wife and I had to be on the move our dogs are all getting bullets before we leave lol, they would be the opposite of invaluable with the amount of dumbfuckery they get into

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They'll need things too and while it has upkeep a dog can be invaluable despite the upkeep.
They're only valuable if they are highly/professionally trained. Your typical "house" dog/cat would be fucking useless outside of a potential source of protein.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
cdc is against instapot canning it seems

expanded

penn state
to expand on this if anyone cares since i did some research

it seems the reason instapots (aside from instapotmax more on this later) and other electric pressure cookers are not recommended is cuz they usually goto 10-11psi.

which is great for 0-1000ft

however 1000+ft you need 15psi and regular instapots do NOT achieve that (higher elevation requires more pressure to reach a certain tempurature, yada, yada known info)

so if you are going to look for electronic canners, make sure they are for canning exclusively or instapotmax, and make doubly sure that it can reach 15psi (sure if you live under 1,000ft elevation, it'll work fine, but you never know, for instance, i've live in ny/pa/va/nj and they were all 0ft to 333ft, i was actually surprised that currently in ks i'm at 981ft, the limit for regular electric pressure cookers)

so double check and make sure it's says 15psi, like this
6b3fcaeca54d46029ccfd3348d695b89.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If your pet is retarded (mine is retarded, she's getting carved up for sandwiches) than you gotta do what you gotta do but still keep your pets in mind during your preps!

Also -

boydog.png

Harlan Ellison may have been a salty fuck but he wrote good stories.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If your pet is retarded (mine is retarded, she's getting carved up for sandwiches) than you gotta do what you gotta do but still keep your pets in mind during your preps!

Also -

View attachment 245529

Harlan Ellison may have been a salty fuck but he wrote good stories.
if your dogo can't do the basic function of barking at a stranger... doggie burgers huh?

get this pied piper, he probably gets this rats to steal him food

• 3Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Beagling
Reactions: 4 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Get something useless like a tortoise. A standard 25 pound bag of Mazuri is basically a years supply anyway.

Rime

<Donor>
Depending on the situation, you would also have to take into consideration that the dogs that were not saved/put down, would relatively quickly go 'feral', assuming that they are in an area without many other apex predators.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Thread needs a catchy title. Prepper Your Butthole: How to Survive the Apocalypse or something

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

They're only valuable if they are highly/professionally trained. Your typical "house" dog/cat would be fucking useless outside of a potential source of protein.

Most dogs will still bark when something gets close. In a post apocalyptic setting, having a biological alarm system would still be useful. Plus virtually all dogs have an amazing sense of smell. If your dog suddenly starts to freak the fuck out and doesn't want to go towards a certain area (that isn't the vet), it could be a sign they are sensing something dangerous or uncomfortable ahead as well.

There are psychological benefits to keeping your stupid animal around

This as well. Keeping sane is an often overlooked component of long term survival situations.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Only took 7 pages for Cybsled to start debating the practicality of emotional support animals in post apocalyptic living.

• 3Worf