The Prepper Thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It be nice to store away some antibiotics too. Not sure the store time on those, but I guess you could store them away in a cool dry place, probably prolong the store date a bit. Thing is where the fuck do you get them though, lol.

I guess when shit goes down shit like this will be the first thing the smart people will loot for. and later this will be worth its weight in gold.

1. Go to doctor with possible infection
2. Get prescribed antibiotics
3. Fill prescription
4. Don't take them because you don't think it's an infection, the dr is just a lazy pill pusher, and they fuck up your stomach
5. Profit.

Like you said, I don't know the shelf life of them, but I'm pretty sure they don't get toxic when they get old. Probably just lose effectiveness. Maybe sometime down the road you get a real infection and use these older pills to rotate out the stock.

Cybsled

Antibiotics usually don't have the best effective shelf life from what I recall

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I rent a storage unit about a 15 minute walk from my house, I was thinking of keeping it stocked with stuff just in case but I assume I'd need a crowbar to access it if shit hit the fan.

anyone have offsite storage?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I rent a storage unit about a 15 minute walk from my house, I was thinking of keeping it stocked with stuff just in case but I assume I'd need a crowbar to access it if shit hit the fan.

Everyone in this thread just calls their offsite storage "neighbors".

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Why would you need a crowbar? Will keys stop working for some reason? Oh you mean to get into other people's units.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
the best way to prep is to be fairly rural and be close friends with multiple neighbors, keep in touch with them often and have get togethers. bring up sort of half serious what "we'd all do" if shit went down and people will actually get into it and put thought into it - you'll find that between 5-10 rural families you'll have just about all your bases covered when it comes to a great survival knowledge base

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
“Fish antibiotics.”

I found myself with a sudden bad, bad tooth infection on a Friday night. Didn't want to spend a fortune since i'm cheap as hell so i did some research and found out the local tractor Supply store has tons of Antibiotics. I just got the 'fish antibiotics" https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/thomas-labs-fish-mox-amoxicillin-250mg-100-ct?cm_vc=-10011 But they have injetable stuff ect.. It's all technically for animals obviously. But the Amoxicillin worked like a charm, by Saturday night the pain started to retreat and the infection was mostly gone by the time i got around to having it pulled on Tuesday. Wound up not missing any work. Between that and the fish store nearby, that sells legit Fish Antibiotics Meaning not coming in pill form.I saw just about every Antibiotic imaginable for sale. Just tell the guys you have a Beta Fish with cloudy eyes and scale rot if they ask.

Some people question if these pet antibiotics are legit. But they worked for me and everybody else i have read online in reviews. It's just the government being silly and not should allow some antibiotics OTC.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I would be curious how much of a good idea it is to use broad spectrum antibiotics in a survival situation. Nuking your entire microbiome when you are living in suboptimal conditions could be very bad.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think thats overthinking it to much.

If these items, meaning antibiotics are no longer easily available you would much rather have them around then suffer or die to many preventable infections i would think. Plenty of shit not considered serious today for a healthy adult can easily kill a person, especially if they are otherwise not in ideal health ect... Something that is far more likely in a bad situation where society has broken down to such a level.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well you'd definitely have different priorities on what you would take antibiotics for. Like a sinus infection becomes something you just have to suffer through, but any serious laceration might warrant a precautionary antibiotics regimen.

The survival scenario matters a lot for speculating too.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How many people participating in this have kids under 10? If I was solo, I'd just make sure I had some ammo and some jergens "daily moisture" in my bugout bag and I'd just plan on drinking possum blood to stay warm & hydrated. With a 2 year old, I'm trying to make sure I have room for her favorite 16 stuffed animals in the bugout bag. I'd also want her to understand the world that her parents lived in and everything that occurred before the collapse, so I'm trying to figure out how I can properly convey how much of a fucking douchebag Patton Oswalt was without having to bring a DVD player.

Anyways, Hoss Hoss - Where's the cheapest place to pick up some of those mountain house things?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
With a 2 year old, I'm trying to make sure I have room for her favorite 16 stuffed animals in the bugout bag. I'd also want her to understand the world that her parents lived in and everything that occurred before the collapse, so I'm trying to figure out how I can properly convey how much of a fucking douchebag Patton Oswalt was without having to bring a DVD player.

I know you're mostly joking (totally agree on the Patton Oswalt thing) but you prioritize her survival. She's going to be a very unhappy, probably malnourished child (depending on the scenario), but if she survives to adulthood to have children of her own than you've done your duty.

Hosix

All labs matter!
How many people participating in this have kids under 10? If I was solo, I'd just make sure I had some ammo and some jergens "daily moisture" in my bugout bag and I'd just plan on drinking possum blood to stay warm & hydrated. With a 2 year old, I'm trying to make sure I have room for her favorite 16 stuffed animals in the bugout bag. I'd also want her to understand the world that her parents lived in and everything that occurred before the collapse, so I'm trying to figure out how I can properly convey how much of a fucking douchebag Patton Oswalt was without having to bring a DVD player.

Anyways, Hoss Hoss - Where's the cheapest place to pick up some of those mountain house things?

Makes me glad my boys are 11 & 13. They both are familiar with guns and each have a 22.

They will be useful for ambushes and flanking others.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seriously though, if you have young children then I think one of your highest priorities would be minimizing the number of childless people in your survival scenario. Before my nieces were born I was probably the kind of guy who would sincerely suggest smothering a baby so that its crying couldn't attract whatever it is that drove us into a survival scenario. I won't claim that being an uncle is the same as being a parent, but it at least affords me a view through that window and it's enough to ensure that I'd always side with parents over the childless.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I know you're mostly joking (totally agree on the Patton Oswalt thing) but you prioritize her survival. She's going to be a very unhappy, probably malnourished child (depending on the scenario), but if she survives to adulthood to have children of her own than you've done your duty.
Yea, mostly joking....but I am hyper aware that pretty much every single minute of thought I've ever put into this in my life is now irrelevant after having a kid. Shit, that's true even walking down the street nowadays. I'm a little hot headed and not exactly fight-averse, so I've developed some remarkable skills in verbal conflict escalation that I used to enjoy, uh, exercising when opportunities would present themselves. Now I just imagine what her mother would tell her when she grows up and asks "How did Daddy die?", which would probably be something like "Four men were standing around talking and rudely blocking the whole sidewalk, then your Daddy's face starting turning really red...."

Food & Water is pretty much all I think about now with these little scenarios because I want to be as far away from any plan involving a fight as possible. I'd magically transform into a mushroom cloud layin' motherfucker if she ever got hurt, anyways. Which reminds me, I'm supposed to take anger management before she starts kindergarten.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea, mostly joking....but I am hyper aware that pretty much every single minute of thought I've ever put into this in my life is now irrelevant after having a kid. Shit, that's true even walking down the street nowadays. I'm a little hot headed and not exactly fight-averse, so I've developed some remarkable skills in verbal conflict escalation that I used to enjoy, uh, exercising when opportunities would present themselves. Now I just imagine what her mother would tell her when she grows up and asks "How did Daddy die?", which would probably be something like "Four men were standing around talking and rudely blocking the whole sidewalk, then your Daddy's face starting turning really red...."

Food & Water is pretty much all I think about now with these little scenarios because I want to be as far away from any plan involving a fight as possible. I'd magically transform into a mushroom cloud layin' motherfucker if she ever got hurt, anyways. Which reminds me, I'm supposed to take anger management before she starts kindergarten.
i didn't want to post it in the parent thread cuz it's nightmare fuel, but here i guess is fine then

• 1RAGE

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Of course you let the WT and naggers do the official looting, you go after the dust is settled, look for the good shit they leave behind.

I think the smart thing also to do is to store up some books on some medical shit too, maybe even some basic chemistry shit on how to synthesize some of these things, maybe? IDK never looked into it.
A793A0DB-9DF0-43CA-8B45-C1AFBBCB4507-2085-000000DB70CEAA35.png

ash-vs-the-evil-dead.jpg

Pic from the show, bc fuck yeah

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Some people question if these pet antibiotics are legit. But they worked for me and everybody else i have read online in reviews. It's just the government being silly and not should allow some antibiotics OTC.

Misuse/overuse of antibiotics is why we have lots of AB resistant bacteria now.