The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I ain't going to lie, I enjoy the episodes in which Mike gets shitfaced. Halloween is coming up, which seems like a long tradition of getting shitfaced on camera.

I do NOT enjoy the majority of the episodes that include that homeless-looking, weasel-faced hipster friend of theirs, and hate them even moreso when Homeless McWeaselface gets drunk.

I had to look it up, Tim Higgins.
He's back. :/

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Blargh. Been busy today. Will have to watch it for as long as I can after the boy goes to sleep.
this one is actually pretty funny. Mike killed me when he started in on Rich's cell phone case. just typing this is cracking me up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
this one is actually pretty funny. Mike killed me when he started in on Rich's cell phone case. just typing this is cracking me up.
This was a really good one, I just got done watching it.

Never thought I'd see Freddie Mercury in a stranger danger segment, Osho from beyond the grave, and Milton Burrell dressed like Joy Behar.

Don't want to ruin it for anybody. Probably their best black spine episode.

I do wonder what the close up zoom in on Rich when Mike mentioned the magician guy disappearing his marriage. The look on Rich's face was pretty weird and he looked pretty uncomfortable / pissed. Was Rich married?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This was a really good one, I just got done watching it.

Never thought I'd see Freddie Mercury in a stranger danger segment, Osho from beyond the grave, and Milton Burrell dressed like Joy Behar.

Don't want to ruin it for anybody. Probably their best black spine episode.

I do wonder what the close up zoom in on Rich when Mike mentioned the magician guy disappearing his marriage. The look on Rich's face was pretty weird and he looked pretty uncomfortable / pissed. Was Rich married?
i know its supposed to be comedy, but the Milton Berle tape was basically him just grabbing low hanging fruit. pun intended. Mike and the gang like to read into these things way too much sometimes.
back in the 80s and early 90s it was the big thing to rank on Richard Simmons being a flaming fag. one of my bosses back in the early 90s was gay, he was only mildly flaming, he hated the full on 5 alarm fire gay guys. there was a lady at my work who had a crush on my boss. my friend and i tried to explain to her that he was gay and had a boyfriend named Tony. she wouldnt have it. she only thought gay guys were those embarrassing Richard Simmons types and that no way gay guys could just be normal acting dudes. so there was nuance in Berle's comedy, he wasnt putting down all gay people, thats stupid, he was goofing on Simmons's ridiculous over the top insane behavior. it was the same with people like Liberace, Charles Nelson Reily, Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor. those guys were always parodied and everyone laughed because they were ridiculous people. that black dude wasnt "keepin it real", he probably didnt even know who Richard SImmons was. i'm sure if he did know he would be laughing right along with them.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i know its supposed to be comedy, but the Milton Berle tape was basically him just grabbing low hanging fruit. pun intended. Mike and the gang like to read into these things way too much sometimes.
back in the 80s and early 90s it was the big thing to rank on Richard Simmons being a flaming fag. one of my bosses back in the early 90s was gay, he was only mildly flaming, he hated the full on 5 alarm fire gay guys. there was a lady at my work who had a crush on my boss. my friend and i tried to explain to her that he was gay and had a boyfriend named Tony. she wouldnt have it. she only thought gay guys were those embarrassing Richard Simmons types and that no way gay guys could just be normal acting dudes. so there was nuance in Berle's comedy, he wasnt putting down all gay people, thats stupid, he was goofing on Simmons's ridiculous over the top insane behavior. it was the same with people like Liberace, Charles Nelson Reily, Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor. those guys were always parodied and everyone laughed because they were ridiculous people. that black dude wasnt "keepin it real", he probably didnt even know who Richard SImmons was. i'm sure if he did know he would be laughing right along with them.
Dude, I just thought him dressed in drag really looked like Joy Behar from The View. Got the same hair color / style and all.

wenn21124887-copy-2.jpg

Agreed, they make a bigger deal out of shit, but that's how they make their money and that's why it's entertaining. That's why we all rush to post the new video in their appreciation threat on the forums.

Richard Simmons is Richard Simmons. Anybody that grew up when he was peddling his rocking to the oldies tapes back in the day understands what he was all about. Yeah he's gay he's weird and he's funny,

I just thought there was a culmination of wacky things throughout the episode that made it a good one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dude, I just thought him dressed in drag really looked like Joy Behar from The View. Got the same hair color / style and all.

View attachment 375463
Agreed, they make a bigger deal out of shit, but that's how they make their money and that's why it's entertaining. That's why we all rush to post the new video in their appreciation threat on the forums.

Richard Simmons is Richard Simmons. Anybody that grew up when he was peddling his rocking to the oldies tapes back in the day understands what he was all about. Yeah he's gay he's weird and he's funny,

I just thought there was a culmination of wacky things throughout the episode that made it a good one.
oh its very good, i just felt like there needed to be an explanation about why its ok to make fun of Richard Simmons without it being about "the gays". i used to watch Richard Simmons on the Regis Philbin show with my grandma when i was a kid. whenever he was on she would laugh and laugh. id laugh with her. my grandma didnt have a mean bone in her body and she wasnt laughing at him being a fruit, but because he acted like a chicken with his head cut off. i think Simmons got it. people loved him, i think he's great, even when he was on Stern acting super creepy, i didnt fault him for it cuz he was just being crazy Richard Simmons.

one last thing, Mike thinking that making fun of Richard Simmons was a statement against all gay people, is kind of bigoted on his part. does he think all gay people are like RIchard Simmons? as far as i know, Simmons has never officially "come out" as gay. he's always stated that he's "asexual". of course he's gay, but he never wanted that label attached to him.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oh its very good, i just felt like there needed to be an explanation about why its ok to make fun of Richard Simmons without it being about "the gays". i used to watch Richard Simmons on the Regis Philbin show with my grandma when i was a kid. whenever he was on she would laugh and laugh. id laugh with her. my grandma didnt have a mean bone in her body and she wasnt laughing at him being a fruit, but because he acted like a chicken with his head cut off. i think Simmons got it. people loved him, i think he's great, even when he was on Stern acting super creepy, i didnt fault him for it cuz he was just being crazy Richard Simmons.

one last thing, Mike thinking that making fun of Richard Simmons was a statement against all gay people, is kind of bigoted on his part. does he think all gay people are like RIchard Simmons? as far as i know, Simmons has never officially "come out" as gay. he's always stated that he's "asexual". of course he's gay, but he never wanted that label attached to him.
richard-simmons-david-letterman.gif

I hear you. He's probably the least offensively flamer out there. He really did positive things with helping elderly people stay physically active and getting a bit of exercise, and that's better than Milton Burrell, who tried to cash in on the same market.

My Grammy used to like Richard Simmons too. So I understand what you're saying.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
View attachment 375466

I hear you. He's probably the least offensively flamer out there. He really did positive things with helping elderly people stay physically active and getting a bit of exercise, and that's better than Milton Burrell, who tried to cash in on the same market.

My Grammy used to like Richard Simmons too. So I understand what you're saying.
i was partial to Rip Taylor, he was doing Richard Simmons schtick before anyone ever heard of Richard Simmons. Taylor had a TV show called the $1.98 Beauty Pageant. i think it went on after Sha Na Na on Sundays. i watched it with my parents, we were all laughing at it. good times

warning, this is an extreme 70s clip.

• 2Like

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>

Thought I remembered this dude from somewhere. 46 seconds in is what I remember him for. Haven't seen wild wild country.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

I only managed to get through the first 40% or so, but Tim is more bearable and less weird of late - it is like there was a general consensus and the guys were like "Tim, if we are going to continue to invite you on, don't be such an insufferable creepy weirdo".

Also, if you want to know how much Richard Simmons didn't take himself too seriously, just search Richard Simmons Who's Line Is It Anyway. Oh man, fucking hilarious. He put up with Letterman's clear disgust (that was so not faked) with weirdo class.

• 2Like

Rime

<Donor>
I always felt bad for Richard Simmons. Dude clearly cared about trying to help people - there are numerous individuals who came out and said he would check up on them after having written him to let him know how his workouts helped them. Last I heard, he was being abused by his estate/caretakers.

• 3Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I only managed to get through the first 40% or so, but Tim is more bearable and less weird of late - it is like there was a general consensus and the guys were like "Tim, if we are going to continue to invite you on, don't be such an insufferable creepy weirdo".

Also, if you want to know how much Richard Simmons didn't take himself too seriously, just search Richard Simmons Who's Line Is It Anyway. Oh man, fucking hilarious. He put up with Letterman's clear disgust (that was so not faked) with weirdo class.

i think there was a bit of a rivalry between Letterman and Howard Stern, Stern would get Richard Simmons on and he would do great and then Letterman would immediately have him on his show. yeah, Letterman was a giant fuckstick, so is Stern, but they made good entertainment and it was by exploiting people like Richard Simmons. when you think about it, it kind of taints everything.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i guess part 3 is the good stuff. feels like Rich and Jay are already over this topic.
Yeah, but I still enjoy watching them talk about those movies. It's been awhile since I've seen most of them and it's kind of nice to remember what I do and don't like about certain films out of Carpenters portfolio.

I think I also just like the Review format more than most of their other shows dependent upon my mood.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, but I still enjoy watching them talk about those movies. It's been awhile since I've seen most of them and it's kind of nice to remember what I do and don't like about certain films out of Carpenters portfolio.

I think I also just like the Review format more than most of their other shows dependent upon my mood.
whats left? Christine, The Thing, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live? i'm wracking my brain on how many of those that Jay already did in a Review. hopefully none. those 5 are great movies, though Starman can be a little slow at times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
whats left? Christine, The Thing, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live? i'm wracking my brain on how many of those that Jay already did in a Review. hopefully none. those 5 are great movies, though Starman can be a little slow at times.
I honestly think that's all of them. Don't believe there's anything else.

I remember seeing star man as a kid back in the '80s and didn't enjoy it because it is a pretty slow movie, but as I got older it's a great film.

I don't think there's a best of any of those movies. Any comparison between them is an apples and oranges deal. I'm just really depends on what you're in the mood for when you sit down to watch a good movie.

I would have ranked in the mouth of madness much higher because I really enjoy Lovecraftian type horror, what's that movie is one of the better representations of.

Sorry talk to text.

• 2Like