The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's a shtick. Mike is a double digit millionaire and has a kid with Jessi (Ethan).

Rich was engaged to Susan 4+ years ago, and they're married now.

Anything else you'd like to incorrectly state?
yeah. post a link or shut the fuck up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Was Jay hooking up with the red head who was occasionally on and some of their earlier years? I just always assumed that was probably his girlfriend/ wife.

Think she was in at least a handful of there earlier videos, but then disappeared.

Juvarisx

Florida
yeah. post a link or shut the fuck up.

I agree this is the real story

"Mick and TeeJay have been friends for years. They have drunk together, watched bad movies together and even worked together! But on this cold Milwaukee night a bad snowstorm will force the two of them to confront suppressed desires and become closer than ever before!"

Yea its real, no i don't know why and apparently its not very good LOL

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was Jay hooking up with the red head who was occasionally on and some of their earlier years? I just always assumed that was probably his girlfriend/ wife.

Think she was in at least a handful of there earlier videos, but then disappeared.

No idea if he was or not, but if she was trying to hide the fact that she wanted his dick, she did a terrible job at it.

• 2Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
It's a shtick. Mike is a double digit millionaire and has a kid with Jessi (Ethan).

Rich was engaged to Susan 4+ years ago, and they're married now.

Anything else you'd like to incorrectly state?
Source on mike being a millionaire?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I don't know how Youtube finances work, but they have no sponsors (outside of occasional Trover Saves the Universe bits) and can't imagine their Patreon brings in that much. Space Cop doesn't look like the work of someone with 8 digits to burn either.

Then again, they haven't even hawked new merch in years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

they have 10,821 patrons.
at $2/m, $5/m or $15/m.

so, minimum at 21,642/m, or 259,704/year. 649,260/year if they were are all $5/m subs.

social blade gives an estimate of 29,700-475,200/year for youtube revenue for RLM. depending on "cpm".

not overly insane for the group of them for sure. who knows how its divided, and by exactly how many. obviously a solid amount goes back into the business as well.

its a bit surprising their isnt more merch.
They also don't pull any of the youtube algo tricks. the 30s clips, etc.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they have a loyal core audience that they built up over ten years. those people are all older nerds like us. thats a demo with more money than young nerds who wouldnt even get most of their content anyway. if they have 10k patrons, its probably going to be 5 dollars at least.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Key thing is that it really doesn't go into what else they do. Mike could be doing editing or something as a normal day job and just working under a pseudonym; I have a couple of friends who work in the writing/editing game in Hollywood and they make a solid six figures doing like 20 hours a week; slightly more during crunch time and slightly less hours during mid season. And this isn't even for the "big" budget productions.

I could easily seem them as a whole taking in 10s of thousands if not 100k+ a month in total revenue, and have been for the better part of a decade. Some of them being in the double digit millions, just from that alone, isn't out of the ordinary.

Also, how long are people assuming the various half in the bag/best of the worst events take? They probably film 2-3 hours (8+ for BOTW), spend 2-3 hours editing (lets say 8 for BOTW), and are done with that for the week/month. And they'll get 600k+ views on each video guaranteed. Plenty of free time to do other things, or invest, or whatever they want, to add to their revenue. It might be one of their primary revenue streams along with Patreon stuff, but there's no telling what they are doing money-making wise outside of it.
They have over 600 videos in their youtube channel alone, with (there's definitely some peaks/valleys) roughly 600k - 1m views each on average. That's probably a few million there alone, before anything else. It's very believable.

Last edited:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
If theyre still together or married, then it means that mike's drinking is a shtick for the show, which is cool. I dont think any of us want to read about him drinking himself to death. Those guys have given us over ten years of great comedy, they should be making more money.
I ain't going to lie, I enjoy the episodes in which Mike gets shitfaced. Halloween is coming up, which seems like a long tradition of getting shitfaced on camera.

I do NOT enjoy the majority of the episodes that include that homeless-looking, weasel-faced hipster friend of theirs, and hate them even moreso when Homeless McWeaselface gets drunk.

I had to look it up, Tim Higgins.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I didn't mind Higgins on the last episode he was on but he's bottom tier for sure.

Macaulay Culkin I cannot stand. Since I've started watching RLM he's the only guest I've turned off and not gone back and finished later.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I didn't mind Higgins on the last episode he was on but he's bottom tier for sure.

Macaulay Culkin I cannot stand. Since I've started watching RLM he's the only guest I've turned off and not gone back and finished later.
yeah, Culkin emanates mega creepy weirdo vibes to me and i cant watch when he's on. he seems like a nice guy, but i always get the image in my head of Buffalo Bill keeping women in a basement pit.
I ain't going to lie, I enjoy the episodes in which Mike gets shitfaced. Halloween is coming up, which seems like a long tradition of getting shitfaced on camera.

I do NOT enjoy the majority of the episodes that include that homeless-looking, weasel-faced hipster friend of theirs, and hate them even moreso when Homeless McWeaselface gets drunk.

I had to look it up, Tim Higgins.
i really dont like any of their "friends". the bald guy is ok. i can stand him. those other canadian guys and hobo guy can fuck off.

• 1Direct to DVD
  • 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

I agree on Higgins's last appearance, it was actually bearable - and I believe because he was cold sober.

And, yeah, I kind of blocked Culkin out of my brain so I fully agree as well. That guy is creepy as fuck and has a laugh that gives me the willies. Being a childhood star really fucked him up, but I sort of appreciate how he's tried to make some normalcy out of the insanity, even if he only ever gets so far.

They also had the insufferable Patton Oswalt on, but thankfully only once. His old stand-up is passably funny, but he is an objectionable human being.

Edit - Chuk and I were typing at the same time with the same Culkin sentiments lol.

• 2Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
The Culkin thing sure seemed like it was part of a big push from his agents, career revival shit. He did VGN then BOTW. Lots of boosted articles coming out all the sudden where Culkin 'gets candid' about his domestic circumstances, right down to the fashion black and white photoshoots, promoted on reddit. Didn't even go looking for his content and from my bird's eye default algorithm view of aggregate content it was pretty clear they were/are trying to make him a thing again.

Probably not a lot of child actors left that can try and capitalize on our generation's form of 'nostalgia.' Then again what do I know, I thought Ready Player One was absolute unreadable shit and you guys think its the throwback Holy Grail.

• 3Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The two canadian guys they have on, Colin and Jim (I think film editor and matte painting guy?) are always really good imo. I honestly am not a major fan of the Rich Evans episodes in general, outside the Star Trek stuff. Jack and Josh are more interesting overall imo.

It's kind of weird that I've been watching a film/tv review show for the better part of a decade and I've probably seen less than 5% of the films they have reviewed over the years.

• 3Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

It's just enjoyable; they both know a lot, and it's more technical than most of the episodes.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The two canadian guys they have on, Colin and Jim (I think film editor and matte painting guy?) are always really good imo. I honestly am not a major fan of the Rich Evans episodes in general, outside the Star Trek stuff. Jack and Josh are more interesting overall imo.

It's kind of weird that I've been watching a film/tv review show for the better part of a decade and I've probably seen less than 5% of the films they have reviewed over the years.
ive seen all of their "review" video movies, but those best of the worst videos. most people in the world have never seen a majority of them. i saw a lot of those titles at my local video rental store back in the 80s, it was a low tier video store, so they mostly had low tier videos. you know the ones that Vestron and Lightning video put out. i only have seen maybe a fifth of those BOTW movies and remember half them.