The RPG Thread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wish Sega would start talking about what exactly they meant by a "string of high quality PC ports" too. Resonance of Fate PC please. There's not many JRPGs I'd ever take the time to replay, but that one's right near the top of the list.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Xenogears please. You could even keep the anime cutscenes for all I care. That combat system, especially the gear battles, would be perfect for a remake.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Its funny i was with a client who liked RPGs earlier and i brought up Xenogears and he was clueless, but i remember how amazing the combat system and story were.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Got Thief, Metallia, Zetta to about 25 mil stats/ 80 mil hp. Baal on normal mode still oneshots me 6 times over, but I can hurt him now! Nicked him for about 2% of his hp. We'll leave aside for the moment the fact that there's 4 of them, in addition to his minions.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am enjoying Tales of, but i do think i prefer the combat system used in ToVesperia a bit more - The open world zones are kinda sparse of enemies and the early Hellion roaming bosses are always a bit beyond the level you could be doing them at.. I dont want to buy a guide but i feel im missing tons of potential costumes!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I did an accidental read in the GameFaqs forum looking for something unrelated and read that the only real costume you can miss was the Cowboy Hat very early in the game. Stopped reading there b/c was afraid of other spoilers.

As for the combat, yeah. I liked (or was much better) at Vesperias as well. Don't really like the way the SC regen stuff works. At least not early in the game before you can reliably get tons of SC bonuses.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Have any of you tried Age of Decadence? Really interesting RPG that is a bit off the beaten path. I love the setting (post-apocalyptic basically) and it is full of unreliable narrators and all kinds of interesting mechanics.

Took me quite a while to break out of my tried and true RPG habits to truly enjoy what this game was offering.

I highly recommend it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Have any of you tried Age of Decadence? Really interesting RPG that is a bit off the beaten path. I love the setting (post-apocalyptic basically) and it is full of unreliable narrators and all kinds of interesting mechanics.

Took me quite a while to break out of my tried and true RPG habits to truly enjoy what this game was offering.

I highly recommend it.
No idea how I missed a turn/tile based RPG on PC...
Looks good will check it out when I can.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its been in development for like a decade.

I don't agree with the developer on basically anything. I bought it in early access long long ago and haven't touched it since.

Vorph

All I can say about Age of Decadence is: try the demo. It should give you a pretty good idea of what the game is like, and how godawful the combat system is. Not even talking about the difficulty, just how slow and clunky the whole thing is. That said you can play the game with little to no combat at all, so maybe you'll like the story and setting enough to overlook the combat.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've actively avoided most all fights because you basically get oneshot until you dump a bunch of points into the martial skills. The narrative style is the interesting part and that most NPC's are basically lying to you about any given thing. On the other side of that, I am pretty sure you can win most fights once you dump points into ranged as your attacks will one shot enemies as well.

I've been lured into alleyways and abandoned houses by highwaymen and robbers who are after my shit more times than I can count. But I just run away. Suppose I am not that streetsmart!

Enough reading in it, it might as well be a fucking novel anyway.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Anyone picked up Final Fantasy VII for iOS? How is it? I've got an iPad Air II and noticed games like Hearthstone run really well on it. I'm kind of itching to play it again. I have my original PSX discs but prefer sitting in the living room in the comfy chair with the TV on.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone picked up Final Fantasy VII for iOS? How is it? I've got an iPad Air II and noticed games like Hearthstone run really well on it. I'm kind of itching to play it again. I have my original PSX discs but prefer sitting in the living room in the comfy chair with the TV on.
I'm not a fan of any port where the d-pad/shoulder buttons are on screen so YMMV. It & tactics run well that I've found, its just more annoying not having a tactile feel to it. My finger natively wants to continue moving/sliding in any given direction so it may be something you get used to.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I tried Divinity: Original Sin and didn't care for it much. I like turn based combat in RPGs as much as action combat but I didn't like the movement and how slow the game felt while running around and also didn't like that I couldn't re-map the hotkeys (or at least, didn't see any way too in the game options). Outside of combat the game just felt a little to slow and clunky for me but that style of game is usually something I like. Two other suggestions I had gotten were Wasteland 2 and Pillar of Eternity. How are those in regards to the above?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I vastly preferred Pillars of Eternity over wasteland 2, but I bet I will be the only one with that opinion.

Try both, see which one hooks you better.

Vorph

I'd probably rate PoE and WL2 about the same. Both are solid, but also rather flawed games. I haven't actually finished either one yet though. WL2 because the DC introduced a bunch of new bugs, including a couple game-breakers, and they still haven't patched it yet. Patch is supposedly due next week finally, along with a follow up hotfix that should get rid of the memory leak in the version of Unity 5 they're using. Haven't finished PoE because I restarted the game like half a dozen times getting my party designed just right, and then they dropped a patch on me that made large, sweeping balance changes.

Basically, do you want a modern version of Wasteland/Fallout or do you want a modern version of Baldur's Gate?

PoE is 50% off on Steam right now if that makes the choice any easier.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So i think im near the end of Tales and

i'm in Calamm or something heading for the big bad - However i am pretty sure ive missed a f ton of shit and its annoying me to no end. I've seen Mythril but i cant pick it up or do anything with it, I really want Alisha back in my party but it seems thats not an option. I know what the dude from Katz Korner wants but ofcourse its likely too late in the game to get it for him. So im pondering if the game ends not too long from now or if it has some shit to do afterwards.. Likewise i went to fight Edna brother and hes no where to be found anymore.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'll click your spoiler tomorrow b/c I think I'm also close to the end, but have been obsessively talking to NPCs and companions. Not sure what has been missed but probably a few things. It is taking a good long playthrough though and a lot of fun. Hopefully tomorrow it'll wrap up and can jump in to the post-game stuff and see the walkthroughs for the missing stuff.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hmm i did talk to everyone - but near the end alot of shit happens to the point that Rose will only give 1 particular response - then suddenly the bitch has a f ton of things to discuss but its so near the end - I guess if it has a strong post game it will make sense bc i feel alot of shit cant be done atm.