The RPG Thread

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I enjoy strategies and hadn't played any Xcom games before. Looked on steam and there's like 6+ different xcoms. Any particular one I should try first?
Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within are the latest ones & there's a mod thread on the board called the longest war (I think?) that makes it pretty much perfect. I would steer straight away from Xcom Declassified (The Bureau) as it plays out as a 3rd person shooter ala mass effect but worse. Was not a fun game compared to the other xcom's.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and 2 on steam, that's some fun ass RPG fan service lol. Really fun games. If you like crazy over the top fan service, highly recommended.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and 2 on steam, that's some fun ass RPG fan service lol. Really fun games. If you like crazy over the top fan service, highly recommended.
I wanted to check these out but haven't had a chance yet.

I'm about halfway through The Last Story and it's still really good, the only problem is there is 0 challenge. I haven't had a game over screen yet.

Siliconemelons

I am wondering for a game title and RPG that I can play with my kids...

Lunar SCCC - skipping the need to buy soap... or Super Mario RPG - is that on VC? Lunar I have the discs somewhere and can play on my ps3.

Any other suggestions? Want to make it a gateway to more reading etc. kids are only 4 and 2.5 though :)

Derkon

Trakanon Raider

Lunar SCCC - skipping the need to buy soap... or Super Mario RPG - is that on VC? Lunar I have the discs somewhere and can play on my ps3.

Any other suggestions? Want to make it a gateway to more reading etc. kids are only 4 and 2.5 though :)
Ni No Kuni? Not sure if you have a ps3 or not but the storybook nature of the graphics and storytelling might be fun if you are controlling most of the action. Plus it has little monsters you capture and use in battle, your kids might like that as well.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Okage was kind of kid-like RPG for PS2 if you have one. My little sister loved it, I believe it was her first (and only) RPG. She was older than your kids though.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_111461.jpg

This little gem has caused a flurry of activity over at 8chan, so I picked it up two days ago and have been pretty much playing it non-stop. It's an indie RPG developed by a very small team that has been described as "this generation's Earthbound." I can't really say whether that's accurate or not because I haven't played much of Earthbound (and what I did play of it I didn't enjoy), but if you're looking for a JRPG-esque game with a well-written story (composing of both great comedic and emotional moments), important player choices, "bullet hell" dodge mechanics, and that retro-spirte aesthetic, this game is for you.

In the world of Undertale, monsters and humans used to co-exist, until the humans declared war and sent all of the monsters deep underground, sealing them behind a great magic barrier. You play as a child who one day, while exploring in the mountains, falls down a hole into the Underground, where the monsters now live, and you have to find a way to escape.

rrr_img_111462.png

One of the cool things about this game is that battling is a bit more open-ended than in most RPGs. You don't have to kill every single enemy (or boss) that you come across, because every single enemy in the game can be "defeated" without killing them. On top of that, there are consequences for killing or sparing enemies. Do you kill a tough boss so that he can't come back later in the game to fight you again? Or do you spare him and attempt to make friends?

The game also has a habit of breaking the 4th wall and making fun of JRPGs. It's really fun and I highly recommend it.

rrr_img_111463.png

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Undertale looks damn sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Ni No Kuni is a great option for kids, I need to go back and finish that game up!

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I wanted to check these out but haven't had a chance yet.

I'm about halfway through The Last Story and it's still really good, the only problem is there is 0 challenge. I haven't had a game over screen yet.
Hyperdimension Neptunia (Rebirth 1 and 2) are fantastic games if you want over the top fan service, japanese weeboo with really good VOs (even the english ones aren't bad), and solid RPG gameplay. If crazy anime girl goofiness isn't your thing, pass on it. Don't buy the original HD:N's that came out for the PS3, they are not nearly as good as the rebirth.

Soundtrack is really good too!

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure you guys made fun of me when I recommended these games earlier in the year when I got my Vita..... :V

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I never did, I play IF! games for years. I just didn't realize this was was quitethatgood.
biggrin.png

Siliconemelons

Yeah thanks for suggestions- I have a og 60gig backwards compatible PS3 so anything goes on my system- and I have a great local used game store nearby for any old game needs... f you gamestop.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Early (~25 minute) impressions of Disgaea 5 are extremely positive. They've continued the process of streamlining some of the more annoying mechanics that D2 started, my favorite so far being that class creation requires HL instead of mana. The main base is also closer to 3/4's large single room than D2's annoying multiroom deal. There's also a suite of post-battle features like one-time possibly unique max bonus rewards for each stage as well as a sort of mvp system that rewards the characters that contribute most to boosting the bonus gauge.

I know 25 minutes is a ludicrously irrelevant interval of time when the task at hand is evaluating a fucking Disgaea game, but there you go.

edit: Oh, and if you move, you're free to move again, as long as the second movement command falls within the bounds of where you could move from your point of origin. Quite a QoL improvement.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's a demo that is basically just the beginning of the game, btw.

My impression is that the mechanics are sound and there's probably a fun SRPG in there somewhere, but like the previous games it's buried underneath story and dialogue that is just so awful that I can't get past it. Maybe someday I'll try to get through one of these games by skipping literally every single bit of dialogue, but it just seems pointless to play a game that way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The Last Story is proving difficult to finish.

It's just so damn easy. Not that I always want to get a game over screen, but I haven't been in danger once yet. I'm towards the end of the game and it's just boring to play. I don't even use any abilities besides my gale when I have to dissipate shit.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm picking up Disgaea tonight so I have something to play for the next couple of days while I'm stuck at home due to getting my wisdom teeth ripped out tomorrow.

Also gonna shill for Undertale one more time. It's REALLY good. (And currently the top-rated game on Metacritic if you care about that kind of thing.)

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Thought I'd share a sort of funny aside. When I went to Gamestop around noon (first time in months, card's been expired for years) to get the game I asked the clerk how many she'd sold. She said I was the second person to buy a copy. I know this shit is niche, but wow - wasn't expecting that.