The RPG Thread

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Gameplay & Story > Graphics. It's because people thought otherwise that we got FFVIII and everything else that followed from that.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Gameplay & Story > Graphics. It's because people thought otherwise that we got FFVIII and everything else that followed from that.
It needs to look good, though. I would rather play a game with pixelvomit graphics than a game that looked like Baby's First Afternoon in Maya as long as the pixelvomit had a unified, cohesove, and generally good-looking theme (example, Hyper Light Drifter).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I demand perfection in all four areas!

* - This may explain why I find most games to be a bitter disappointment these days.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of this piece of shit, how in the hell does it work? I have it linked to my PC, and the audio doesn't work, and the buttons on my controller are not right (eg: A is B, B is X, etc). I've tried three different controllers, and none of them work. I've tried like 5 games with steam link (with no audio) and none of them are playable for me. I've looked online, and every "fix" people mention doesn't work for me, not to mention I've also since upgraded to a whole new computer and both my old PC and this PC have identical issues. Steam says to use HDMI audio, but with nvidia there's no way to activate it except for a monitor, which you have to connect to HDMI to even work. So I have no idea how to get the thing to work, sadly. I've checked volume, tried on-board audio, and even set to SPDIF-Passthrough (that was a suggestion from reddit) nothing works. Most people have zero problems with this thing, but for the life of me I can't get it to work at all other than video (which streams very nicely)
lol, so bumping my own post. Sometime between this post (2/1/16) and yesterday, they did some massive updates. So much so my sound works, all the controllers work as expected (even the PS4 controller is perfect now), and it's glorious as shit.

If you were having issues with steam link (no audio, bad controller assignments, etc) in the past give it another go. Whatever they did, it works great now.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ordered Star Ocean 5 Collectors edition from SE I'm hoping they have another push for the FFXV Ultimate Editions(I was out of town when it was announced.)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
modded my Wii to run SNES/GB/GBA/PSX emulators and i've kinda been going RPG ADD lately because of it.

so far i've started up and almost beat Final Fantasy V on the SNES (fan translated version), started replaying Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI (doing the gameboy advance version with the soundfix patch), Earthbound, Secret of Mana 1, Seiken Densetsu 3, Mother 3...

been looking into fan translations of JRPG games and into romhacks in general. anyone have the fan translated ROM for Bahamut Lagoon? can't seem to track that one down.

also i'm about to get into a romhacked version of Pokemon Crystal, whose only modification is to make all 251 G2 Pokemon catchable ingame without trading.

but now i see this whole world of extensive romhacks and i'm thinking about playing through whole new fan games based on hacks of Chrono Trigger and Earthbound lol.

i need some direction. spreading myself way too thin. what are some absolute musts i should bust out now that i have classic console RPG emulation set up in the comfort of my living room?

Siliconemelons

modded my Wii to run SNES/GB/GBA/PSX emulators and i've kinda been going RPG ADD lately because of it.

so far i've started up and almost beat Final Fantasy V on the SNES (fan translated version), started replaying Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI (doing the gameboy advance version with the soundfix patch), Earthbound, Secret of Mana 1, Seiken Densetsu 3, Mother 3...

been looking into fan translations of JRPG games and into romhacks in general. anyone have the fan translated ROM for Bahamut Lagoon? can't seem to track that one down.

also i'm about to get into a romhacked version of Pokemon Crystal, whose only modification is to make all 251 G2 Pokemon catchable ingame without trading.

but now i see this whole world of extensive romhacks and i'm thinking about playing through whole new fan games based on hacks of Chrono Trigger and Earthbound lol.

i need some direction. spreading myself way too thin. what are some absolute musts i should bust out now that i have classic console RPG emulation set up in the comfort of my living room?
Foundmy old X-Box and was ganna toss it, then I saw that it makes a really good emu box...need to set it up for my kids to play old Mario and stuff.

Vorph

Atlus released a demo for Odin Sphere Leifthrasir today, for those still on the fence about it. It's pretty short, but you can try out five of the characters and see how nice the game looks in 1080p60.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Atlus released a demo for Odin Sphere Leifthrasir today, for those still on the fence about it. It's pretty short, but you can try out five of the characters and see how nice the game looks in 1080p60.
Thanks, downloading now.

I played the banner saga over the weekend, was on sale for PSN for $4.99. Finished it twice, its pretty short but a lot of fun if you like the art style and some FF tactics like game play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Never played Odin Sphere, but the reviews coming in are great. I guess there were issues on ps2 that have been fixed?

Getting the LE that comes with the Artbook. I can't say no to waifus

Vorph

Yeah, it would often drop to ~15 fps on the PS2, and even the PS2 Classic for PS3 release struggled to maintain 30 fps.

This version is solid 1080p60 with improved (Dragon's Crown style) combat.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Final Fantasy VIII did nothing wrong. The Translation was fucked.
Draw mechanic wasn't good. Especially since there was a limit to the number of spells you could have. Having to use up your low level spells to make room for new ones wasn't exactly a fun thing to do. Especially if you took the time to get 99 of them.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hah... 8. I'll agree that maybe the translation was terrible because it was a disjointed crappy story almost from the very start, and the ending was extra dumb. Not to mention that Squall is one of the least sympathetic/likeable main characters in RPG history, which could also be translation related. But there was most definitely things wrong with the game. Draw mechanic for one, unskippable minute+ long GF sequences, the leveling system was terrible and only slightly better than the worst ever: FF2... Widely regarded as either the worst or one of the worst games in the series. Which still makes it better than Beyond the Beyond and a bunch of other actually shitty rpgs. But it definitely had some major flaws that some people may like, but the vast gaming majority thought were terrible.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Woah, calm your tits on beyond the beyond. I remember playing that game like 15 years ago.

Now that you mention it it might have been bad, I don't really remember much of it. Just one dude that had an axe that was cursed for most of the game

But yeah 8 was terrible. There wasn't much about it that wasn't bad, graphics for the time I guess

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Haha Beyond the Beyond! That was like the first jrpg to come out on ps1 and it was pretty much unplayable. I remember thinking the combat was okay, but everything else was just bad. I still remember that "cgi" intro....

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Final Fantasy 12 is getting a HD version in 2017 apparently.

Only link I currently have it to kotaku and fuck that noise but yeah.