The RPG Thread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Your npc list is already fairly optimal, but as said, respeccing every melee to shield tank will let you play with all of them to hear their banter.
No need for shields at all. The sword and board tree adds practically nothing to their survivability or tanking, and the amount of defense you have with a 2H is already overkill for everything in the game on the hardest difficulty. Blackwall is completely immune to damage with the proper spec, and Cassandra isn't far behind. Only used Bull when forced to, but slapping the same spec on him with a few Reaver skills worked too. The difference is damage dealt is pretty huge, and that's all that really matters. I liked Cass the best because you don't need complete immunity, and her damage dealing ability is absurd against demons and mages.

Not sure if they fixed it but the 2H axe recipe from Black Emporium was bugged and allowed you to put mods on a weapon that clearly already had mods built in. So it did way more damage than anything else in the game because of this. If they never fixed it, I strongly advise against abusing it as it further trivializes an already easy game. (Yes, I played on Nightmare.)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sweet thanks for the advice. I had Sera setup as an archer anyways. I couldn't use varric because he looks retarded, it's superficial but I just can't roll with him

Vorph are you saying I should switch Cassandra to 2h?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sweet thanks for the advice. I had Sera setup as an archer anyways. I couldn't use varric because he looks retarded, it's superficial but I just can't roll with him

Varrik looks retarded, but Sera doesn't?

How can a man with such perfect syncronicity between penis and hand flesh colors reach this conclusion?

/boggle

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sera looks like she got run over by the ugly tree on its way to an ugly dance with an ugly suitor in an ugly public transportation vehicle

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_112565.jpg

She triggers the shit out of me.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Think I used the black chick and....I don't really remember the other character I used. Been too long. Probably like the fighter chick. Whats her name.

Vorph

I like Varric, but Bianca is just crap compared to crafted bows. I stuck with Sera even though she's a result of the 'lol all females must be ugly because reasons!' mentality at SJWware. Strictly speaking you don't need a rogue except when there's a lock. I recommend bringing one to all the missions, but when you're just dicking around in the "open" world anything goes really. Having a second mage never hurts, as long as you spec them into different things. The AI is fairly shit at playing a Knight Enchanter though, so I'd probably use Dorian over Vivienne. No way I could stand listening to Vivienne talk all the time either, I hated her the most of all the NPCs by far.

And yes, Cassandra should use a 2H for sure. The important tanking stuff is all in the Vanguard tree, not the Sword/Shield tree.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
With Tales coming out, i was considering D5 to tide me off till Halo - but ive never played a D- series game before so not sure i will be into it - and i never played FF tactics either.

Vorph

You're definitely throwing yourself into the deep end of the pool if D5 is your first SRPG. Disgaea is pretty overwhelming even if you've been playing them since Tactics Ogre and FFT were new.

That said, there's a demo which is just the start of the regular game. Most of the gameplay mechanics get dumped on you right out of the gate too, so it should be pretty easy to judge if it's something you'd like.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So onto D5 :

When you get to the post-game get the CHM77 invitation quest. This opens up a map of 76 gunners, all with 1 hitpoint. Pass "Charge Bonus Gauge" bill and "Critical Situation" bill. Set cheat shop to 500% mana. With metallia OP as fuck witch, go into the map, and bring her out and defend and end turn. She should survive - if not you need to do martial training to get her level up more. Once you successfully defend, hitr triangle and summon to summon your netherworld, this will get rid of the 20% accuracy deal. Once that's done, use her overload - you should see 99% chance to capture for all enemies (if not, again, you need to level up more). You'll capture 76 enemies at once. Rinse/repeat.

You can interrogate/extract them into a magic extract with a FUCK LOAD of stats to use on her. Keep doing this until you can do the process on 20 star in the cheat shop. Once you're there, you can then capture 76 enemies, all level 640 at once, and use them all in your squads leveling them all up to the maximum (You'll need to do this about 15 or so times to actually level all your squads up).

In the process of doing all this, Metalia will most likely have over 300k mana too, which is very helpful to upgrade the range of a lot of her skills.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
So onto D5 :

When you get to the post-game get the CHM77 invitation quest. This opens up a map of 76 gunners, all with 1 hitpoint. Pass "Charge Bonus Gauge" bill and "Critical Situation" bill. Set cheat shop to 500% mana. With metallia OP as fuck witch, go into the map, and bring her out and defend and end turn. She should survive - if not you need to do martial training to get her level up more. Once you successfully defend, hitr triangle and summon to summon your netherworld, this will get rid of the 20% accuracy deal. Once that's done, use her overload - you should see 99% chance to capture for all enemies (if not, again, you need to level up more). You'll capture 76 enemies at once. Rinse/repeat.

You can interrogate/extract them into a magic extract with a FUCK LOAD of stats to use on her. Keep doing this until you can do the process on 20 star in the cheat shop. Once you're there, you can then capture 76 enemies, all level 640 at once, and use them all in your squads leveling them all up to the maximum (You'll need to do this about 15 or so times to actually level all your squads up).

In the process of doing all this, Metalia will most likely have over 300k mana too, which is very helpful to upgrade the range of a lot of her skills.
+1.

Still on chapter 8, so nowhere near this, but thanks all the same.

Anybody noticed that Item World xp grinding is more viable than in the past? I could be imagining things, but it seems like the enemies are weak as fuck for their level there. Working on a legendary Dark Rosary and up to ~60 enemies and they have like 800hp, which is pretty damn ideal for oneshotting with characters decidedly below that level. Working on a Sage and Lady Samurai and both at level 40 are perfectly capable of OTKOing mobs 20+ levels higher than themselves in item world.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
+1.

Still on chapter 8, so nowhere near this, but thanks all the same.

Anybody noticed that Item World xp grinding is more viable than in the past? I could be imagining things, but it seems like the enemies are weak as fuck for their level there. Working on a legendary Dark Rosary and up to ~60 enemies and they have like 800hp, which is pretty damn ideal for oneshotting with characters decidedly below that level. Working on a Sage and Lady Samurai and both at level 40 are perfectly capable of OTKOing mobs 20+ levels higher than themselves in item world.
So after doing a lot of IW to get Zetta to ~ lvl 120 and my mage lvl 80 or so with a decent lvl'd staff I said fuck it and didn't equip another piece of gear or spend any mana thinking I would just power through the rest of the game (was at chapter 8 I think and playing at lvl 10 star difficulty to at least make it minor challenging). I gradually had to lower all the way down to 3 star to finally beat the game, fucking didn't think there was 14 or 15 chapters lol. But it actually made the end abit fun since fights weren't a complete wash.

Spent the last 2 hours renaming and manually sorting my entire team after making a metric fuck ton of people for various roles (celestrial bodies for rez, healers for heal, geo team for IW, thf team , support team with maids for their Tea which is fucking awesome, buff team, witch team for SP gain in IW). The dispatch tool is fucking awesome to keep things organized.

So now that is done....going through all my gear and innocents etc now that I have my pending final team of 10+1 (1 for later +1 bill who is my support/healer main). Then I can finally start post game woopy!!

Few quick questions
1) For research, does gear or lvl impact mission success?

2) There isn't away to get unique characters to learn other unique abilities (not evilities but their actuall class specific abilities) from other characters right? Scrolls in char world seemed to only work on weapon and magic abilities not unique

3) Does magic change eventually get stronger? Its nice for getting exp/mana for weaker monsters BUT the stats its adding atm are extremely small compared to my main guy primary stats. I have a lvl 300 zetta and using the sword magic change with the twin dragon overlord its giving me like a few hundred attack is all when he is lvl 200+ himself. The only main benefit I see is using their unique evil which is awesome and why im using the dragon guy....twin dragon gives double attack basically if you don't move so its nasty! But I was hoping stats would actually be meaningful...

4) Double magichange....any use for this in all reality? Giving up 2 people on the map seems abit crazy but then again I guess if you double magi-changed 2 units with real strong offensive evils it might not be bad.

This game fucking rocks!

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So I am like 5 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles on the NewDS - if you haven't played it - the combat system is clever - its like action turn based positional something, Not sure how to describe it. The world itself feels very mmo like, quests, towns, day night cycles. If you have the DS and haven't played this game - might give you that 10 day holdover till the next Months RPG explosion begins its full launch.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
When you get to the post-game
How much longer do I have until I get to the post-game? I just got past the part where:

Killia and Zeroken use Avidya Holy Water on Bloodis and we learn that Killia and Void Dark were "brothers" in apprenticeship to Goldion.

I find the story to be extremely awful and the characters to be excruciatingly obnoxious, but at the same time, I can'tnotpay attention to the story because I have to know what happens. So playing the game feels like a huge chore now and I just want the dumb story to be over.

Anybody noticed that Item World xp grinding is more viable than in the past?
This is my first Disgaea game, but I always go to Item World when I want to level up because the enemies there are significantly weaker, so you can go into something that's like 20 levels higher than you and level up your squad really fast.

Caliane

Disgaea's I played often were easiest to level very new chars with specific story missions. Since layouts are prefab there, theres often ones you can beat with like 3 moves. or, stack monsters and get easy one shots, and stupid amounts of exp for that level range.

Again, not playing this one.... But the itemworld typically is the post game. The story boss will be like level 99, the item world boss will be level 9999.
start min-maxing, reincarnating, etc. you can do that about any time usually.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Disgaea story isnt meant to be taken seriously, amd is intentionally bad. Disgaea 4s main character was a vampire with an obsession for sardines. Disgaea 3s hero was the best student at a high school for evil students.

Were not talking about top tier Tarantino quality storyline and dialogue here. The games are about their mechanics and grind, not their ridiculous tacked on weaboo storylines.

Just relax and treat it like plan 9 from outer space or something.