The RPG Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I definitely didn't give dragon age a fair shot when it came out. I'm like 12 hours in after 2 days and enjoying it. Graphics are so good.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
You're not gonna have to manage legions forever. You're confined to 10 units for deployment and what ends up happening for me is that I end up with several veteran generics that have killer stats on account of multiple reincarnations, two or three uniques and a few experiments.

Gear also becomes somewhat paradoxically less annoying even as it requires more investment. Less cycling through sets and more leveling it up.

I do agree that it's overwhelming in the beginning, though. This is not my first Disgaea and I'm still struggling to keep my squad under control.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I definitely didn't give dragon age a fair shot when it came out. I'm like 12 hours in after 2 days and enjoying it. Graphics are so good.
rrr_img_112539.jpg

turbo

Molten Core Raider
You're not gonna have to manage legions forever. You're confined to 10 units for deployment and what ends up happening for me is that I end up with several veteran generics that have killer stats on account of multiple reincarnations, two or three uniques and a few experiments.

Gear also becomes somewhat paradoxically less annoying even as it requires more investment. Less cycling through sets and more leveling it up.

I do agree that it's overwhelming in the beginning, though. This is not my first Disgaea and I'm still struggling to keep my squad under control.
Man this game fucking improved on so many things (D5 that is). So many quality of life things. The only bad thing is I bought the season pass and did all the scenarios before starting the story so my main squad is 7 of 10 unique characters. Zetta is my power house who is carrying throw any item world etc with his tyrant sword ability. Took a break from low level farming (I tried to get the castor unique staff you get on the unique chars and took it to lvl 99 in the item world which in hind sight was a abit of a waste of time, see my suggestion below).

For new folks, items scale a lot faster when they are higher quality, so don't waste too much time in the item world early, best thing I suggest is use the hospital a lot and soon as you get a decent gold take it in the item world, then find a legendary weapon in the item world then go straight to that one. You will get a lot better gear and easier monsters then leveling lower lvl gear to high. Also a good trick is to get 2 sages as soon as you can and then when you have a good round where you can get lvl 9 bonus meter just lift the last enemy (or sleep) and keep chain casting bonus gauge change with the 2 sages until you get a good legendary.

Also for the FIRST FUCKING TIME EVER, it looks like armor knights are actually good. At least lower levels, I reincarnated my warrior into one and with spear and his first damaging ability he is nuts. The ability hits hard but it also puts him in defensive stance after it hits. Then his passive helps protect people. You can stack him with his best armor you have and do that and it actually absorbs a shit ton of damage. So far I'm loving him.

Lastly, I'm a moron and JUST realized this...do NOT pick a sub class on your non unique classes. If you do it slows down/stops their main class progression. They should say something...

Anyways, fuckiung awesome game so far, I started Thursday afternoon and have played a shit ton. I think I'm towards the end, trying to power through now , I am playing at 10 star difficulty challenge in the cheat shop and still not having a challenge so figured I'd just get to the end then start the real grind. Such a fun fucking game!

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Starting to feel like unique characters are the way to go in this one, given how easy it is for them to inherit class evilities in conjunction with their innate and unique evilities. And subclassing has unlocks covered, so that just leaves skills. I'ce already got scrolls for some, and I'm sure there's a way to inherit skills too. Can you still do it from Chara world, or is there something like the dojo from d2?

khalid

Unelected Mod
The new Battlefront game got me to start playing KOTOR 2. Hate how to min-max you have to go either all Darkside puppykiller or total Lightside pacifist pussy. At least I am max darkside points now, so I don't have to kill every puppy I come across now.

All this talk has me wanting to buy the new Disgaea. I still haven't even opened the D2 I bought a couple weeks ago to play on my PS3. Dammit.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Skip D2 imo. Its many steps forward are sometimes checked by annoying design. It's good - quite good - but I dropped it as soon as D5 came out and have no regrets.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
With divinity original sin coming out at the end of the month, what are people's thoughts on that game? Worth $60?

Caliane

$60? Dang.

Was/is $40 on pc.
Upgrade to EE is going to be free.
I'm a frugal gamer.. that price increase would make me second guess. Lots of rpgs out...

I would say its heavily a PC game. yes the EE is being reworked for consoles, but yeah, I would find it hard to reconcile. This game is successor to Ultima's. did you ever play the console versions of Ultima 5?

It is my favorite, and I think the best RPG I've played in a very long time. The only one I've finished.
D:OS is also best played coop. EE will now have 2-player split screen.

If you have someone to play with, yes, a "Must play". Even at that price point. If not, ask if you like that style of game first. then, why not PC? cheaper and designed for it.
Then, probably wait for it to be cheaper. And/or wait for EE to come out and people to review if the rework makes it that much better.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Negative. Also thought I remembered it being $40 on pc but wasn't sure. Think I will wait for price drops.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All this talk has me wanting to buy the new Disgaea. I still haven't even opened the D2 I bought a couple weeks ago to play on my PS3. Dammit.
Disgaea2 is not nearly as good as the original. I'd only play it if you're absolutely desperate for SRPG. It doesn't really "feel" like a Disgaea and the characters are all very forgettable.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
$60? Dang.

Was/is $40 on pc.
Upgrade to EE is going to be free.
I'm a frugal gamer.. that price increase would make me second guess. Lots of rpgs out...

I would say its heavily a PC game. yes the EE is being reworked for consoles, but yeah, I would find it hard to reconcile. This game is successor to Ultima's. did you ever play the console versions of Ultima 5?

It is my favorite, and I think the best RPG I've played in a very long time. The only one I've finished.
D:OS is also best played coop. EE will now have 2-player split screen.

If you have someone to play with, yes, a "Must play". Even at that price point. If not, ask if you like that style of game first. then, why not PC? cheaper and designed for it.
Then, probably wait for it to be cheaper. And/or wait for EE to come out and people to review if the rework makes it that much better.
I think it'll be fine with a gamepad. I intend to play both it and Wasteland 2 with a controller (on PC) when they are released. XCOM cured me of my skepticism of playing turn-based strategy combat that way, and I found the pad to be far more convenient to use in that game than kb/m was.

As for the price, yeah, Larian comes out looking pretty shitty when you compare them to inXile's handling of Wasteland 2 over the years. WL2 came out months after D:OS and has been discounted 60% while D:OS has only dropped 40% at most. And now the console version's price gets hiked to $60. At least they made the upgrade free for PC owners though, that's the important part.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Lots of RPG goodness coming within a month now

Wasteland 2 - directors cut (PC - consoles - 13th/16th)

Tales of Zestiria (PS4 - 16th, PC - 20th)

Disgaea 5 (PS4 - 16th (already out in the US I guess))

Sword coast legends (PC - 20th)

Divinity: original sin EE version (PC / consoles 27th)

Fallout 4 (November 10th)

Might be others as well, but counting all of those as close to AAA titles as RPGs go. Probably 400 hours++ of quality gaming on those titles alone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is there an optimal party in dragon age? I've been using Cassandra, Sera, Solas, and I'm a reaver iirc. Nothing has stopped us, but don't know if I'm using sub optimal people.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nah, the only thing sub-optimal there is reaver and you can't change that now. I used the same three NPCs most of the time too, except my character was a knight-enchanter. The AI is fucking TERRIBLE at controlling a dagger rogue though. You really need to switch Sera to bows or spend most of your time controlling her yourself instead of your own character. I advise the former, she's a hell of a lot better archer than Varric or Cole can ever be, and she's nowhere near as good with daggers as Cole even if you control her directly. The AI does a decent job playing archer, as long as you don't give it access to that ability that makes her shoot while jumping backwards.

There's nothing difficult enough in DA:I to require serious min-maxing anyway. If you do run into trouble, crafting solves everything. You can make obscenely powerful weapons in the last ~1/3 of the game, in some cases much earlier if you abuse the Black Emporium.

Edit: Be careful how you use your dragon materials. Even with the stock you can buy from the BE there's not enough dragon metal for everything you'll want to make. Never waste metal on defensive stats, save it for weapons.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
No love for Dragon Quest Heroes? I don't even have a PS4 yet but my copy of DQ:H is in the mail.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Is there an optimal party in dragon age? I've been using Cassandra, Sera, Solas, and I'm a reaver iirc. Nothing has stopped us, but don't know if I'm using sub optimal people.
Nah, they work well. Cassandra is great due to her dispel on rifts. Sera is great dps. Her dps with bows is greater than Varric, at least early/mid game. Assassins are useless unless you control them. I play on nightmare, and any melee which isn't 1h sword /shield dies nearly instantly unless you take direct control.

I play as an assassin for my main. Respecced every tank class into sword/shield (2h falls into the same issues as any melee without shield / armor skills). That way I can use pretty much any tank for when they have quests and dialog. With a good tank setup, you can swap out the others fairly randomly and still do ok. Some combinations are better than others, but 1h/shield tank + whatever will win most encounters. Cass is probably the best tank though due to her dispel ability as mentioned. I also get dispel on every mage. Vivian is perhaps the worst mage to add due to her going into melee means death in many/most circumstances.

Your npc list is already fairly optimal, but as said, respeccing every melee to shield tank will let you play with all of them to hear their banter.

PS: If you're playing on PC, while in the war room "quest" timers are tied to your PC clock. You can start quests, alt tab, set your internal clock forwards and it will finish the quests instantly. For 24+ hour quests, just forward entire dates. Funnily it also works backwards with adding time to timers.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Is it a rpg though? Thought it was more like Dynasty warriors / Hyrule warrior ? Didn't add it for that reason.
Its a mix really. Takes from both DQ and Dynasty Warriors. I guess people could consider it as not a traditional RPG. I know I always have but I'm sure you could make an argument either way.