The RPG Thread

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I will give it a shot when it goes on sale.

Finally got around to playing bravery default....my wife got me a 3ds for Xmas and it's had been collecting dust. 5 hours in and this thing is the Final Fantasy we deserve. Almost makes me want to mod my 3ds to play on my 75inch tv, but $300 is a bit steep...this thing needs a wiiu or ps4 port ASAP!
You'll want to look in to Legacy of Legend for the 3DS as well. Comes out next week, and it's basically the Atlus take on Bravely Default

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Almost makes me want to mod my 3ds to play on my 75inch tv, but $300 is a bit steep...this thing needs a wiiu or ps4 port ASAP!
Heh, 240p on a 75" screen would be amusing to say the least, even taking into account that it'd only stretch to about 50" in order to leave room for the bottom screen. 3DS has bad enough jaggies on the handheld screens.

Caliane

Yes and no. You'll be barraged with a bunch of shit that you don't understand like innocents on items - items with "Manager" or "Gladiator" or whatever on them - but immediate comprehension isn't ever required. The story mode is 30+ hours of sustained acclimation, after which the postgame presents a host of challenges that'll require more investment into the game's mechanics.

I've played 3, 4, D2 and 5, and for all except possibly D2 - and I guess 5 is yet to be determined - there's a couple ways to go about progressing, and they'll all work, whether you understand what you're doing or not. The first is to just wing it, and it works. I don't think there's really an easy way to fuck up your characters, but youcanbe grossly inefficient. The second is to follow some sort of maximization guide, which is also quite fun but there'll be classes you never try because you weren't told to experiment. This happened to me in 3 and 4, and probably would have happened in D2 except I couldn't find a decent guide and I enjoyed it way more as a consequence.

5 is so new that you'll resort to option 2, and it's fun as hell. It does have a more robust tutorial system than any prior game, also.

In short, you'll probably be lost, but you'll not be fucked. At all. The only drawback to starting with 5 is that if you fall in love with it, it's likely gonna be hard to go back to earlier games, possibly excepting D2. I'd start there anyway, though. I began Disgaea only a few months ago, and put like 80-100 hours into 3 and 4 and 30 into D2, but my playtime was abbreviated because I had my eyes on 5. So this'll be the first one that I've completely invested in.
I think its important to note. Disgaea games are kindof two games in one. The story mode, is really just window dressing. but the real game is more like a jrpg version of roguelikes, and i don't know "spread-sheet management", or cookieclickers. +1 level up..

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have been playing the series since the first and this one seems like it's going to be the best yet. All the quality of life improvements like throwing at angles, moving twice, new characters with HL are great. For those new to the game I'd just wing it and figure shit out, it's kind of fun having no idea wtf you're doing and winning anyway. I don't even read up on new mechanics each game, I just wing it. Always end up fine and putting hundreds of hours in.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The Witch from The Witch and the 100 Knights is OP as fuck (its in the Season Pass DLC, which, by the way, comes with a fucking lot of extra content)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I saw that it had a Season pass and was like "wat". Are there any details as to what is actually in it?
Gobs of stuff I'll try to find you a list real quick

Scenario: Disgaea D2: Laharl Episode
Scenario: Disgaea 4: Valvatorez Episode
Scenario: Disgaea 4: Fuka Episode
Scenario: Disgaea 3: Mao Episode
Scenario: Disgaea 3: Almaz Episode
Scenario: Disgaea 2: Adell Episode
Scenario: Makai Kingdom: Zetta Episode
Scenario: La Pucelle: Priere Episode
Character: Celestial Hostess
Character: Girl Laharl
Character: Nisa
Character: Kunoichi
Character: Sorcerer
Character: Metallia
Complete DLC Bonus: Pleinair
Every scenario I believe comes with a DLC character once you beat it. Plus the DLC characters in the list

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...ASONDISGAEA500

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Nice, thanks! Didn't see that description when I checked through my PS4 earlier this morning. I'll have to see if I stick with the game before I buy it

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
The Witch from The Witch and the 100 Knights is OP as fuck (its in the Season Pass DLC, which, by the way, comes with a fucking lot of extra content)
Christ, you're not kidding. Omega elementals + Star at 25, great uniques, OP overload. Haven't even looked at the evilities yet.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
So, started playing Disgaea 5 today. It's my first Disgaea. I just hit Chapter 4.

Am I just supposed to recruit as many units as possible to fill the squads? I've been trying to play it like Final Fantasy Tactics (keep a party of 8 leveled and gear and don't really use anyone else), but it seems like I should just be recruiting a bunch of rando level 1's to fill in some of the squads.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Christ, you're not kidding. Omega elementals + Star at 25, great uniques, OP overload. Haven't even looked at the evilities yet.
Yeah its badass. She starts at like level 5 and was hitting for 600 on a fire spell

So, started playing Disgaea 5 today. It's my first Disgaea. I just hit Chapter 4.

Am I just supposed to recruit as many units as possible to fill the squads? I've been trying to play it like Final Fantasy Tactics (keep a party of 8 leveled and gear and don't really use anyone else), but it seems like I should just be recruiting a bunch of rando level 1's to fill in some of the squads.
Yeah go ahead and recruit away. The game is infinite.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
What are everyone's favorite classes? So far I think my favorite is the Archer. Her ability that lets her potshot anything that gets hit in her range has added a lot of damage to my team. I'm trying to unlock the Mage Knight but it seems like it takes a really long time to get the classes I need from rank 2 to rank 3.

I also put a Heretic on my team because he's trap as hell, and while his ability to heal and cleanse status effects simultaneously is really good, I wish he would learn Armor Break so that he has something to do when no one needs healing.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
If anybody's having trouble leveling lower-level characters, use a Professor to make them giant. They get a massive AoE with C scaling that'll otko most enemies. (The Professor can cast it on herself too).

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If anybody's having trouble leveling lower-level characters, use a Professor to make them giant. They get a massive AoE with C scaling that'll otko most enemies. (The Professor can cast it on herself too).
I don't have Professor yet, but I'll try to unlock him as that sounds like good advice.

I really want to unlock Pirate but that requires playing Gunner and Maid, neither of which I'm fond of.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Let me clarify: the enemies still need to be around your level. So just have the low level quickly solo maps in giant form and increase the difficulty or go to the next map as needed.

Somebody can prohably chime in with something better, but I'm just wingin' it.

Edit: later on I'd imagine we'll be able to go from 1-100 immediately, then 1-1000 immediately, but I haven't found a grinding stage I like more than 1-5 and 2-1, and they're not very good.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had to stop the last story, was just sucking my soul to play it. Started da:I back up, hopefully it's better than I originally thought.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Krip - Disgaea isn't the kind of game (generally) that you finish and be like "Whelp, that was fun" then move on. It is, as stated above, "infinite". Eventually, you'll end up with situations where squads are doing hundreds of trillions of damage on normal attacks. With that said, recruit to your hearts content, there is never anything "wrong" with Disgaea either during the story or during the post-game, everything you do is fine, and everything is "fixable" (especially in D5 - in D4 and under you could screw up your skills but thats impossible here). The game actively encourages you to go OP it. I forgot if the item world is open in Chapter 4, but the moment it is, take a legendary Dark Rosary and go 20-30 floors deep. You'll see how ridiculously powerful the item world makes items. Generally, if you have a problem getting through some content (def too low, ATK not high enough) 1 trip through 20-30 floors of the item level will turn that character into a power house for the general content. Then later at the top end you'll be building items that have millions on each stat with the right innocents.

One other thing, I should recommend to everyone - when you do the Chara world, make sure you pick jumping at the end. You'll want 25 jumping on all your squads at the minimum. (Jump is the green wing icon - most start at 15 or 20).

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I'm more addicted to D5 than I have been to any game in a long time. 24 hours played in four days and I am still feeling frustrated as fuck when I can't play it.

Unlike D4 I'm truly wingin it here and I've probably spent far too long leveling generics and their skills and not enough time developing uniques and definitely not enough time spreading the love around. My Healer, Professor and Metallia do pretty much all the work, with a Magic Knight and Killia able to hold ther own sometimes.

Haven't been to the item world outside of the short venture required for progresssion, and I'm only on chapter 8.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Krip - Disgaea isn't the kind of game (generally) that you finish and be like "Whelp, that was fun" then move on. It is, as stated above, "infinite". Eventually, you'll end up with situations where squads are doing hundreds of trillions of damage on normal attacks. With that said, recruit to your hearts content, there is never anything "wrong" with Disgaea either during the story or during the post-game, everything you do is fine, and everything is "fixable" (especially in D5 - in D4 and under you could screw up your skills but thats impossible here). The game actively encourages you to go OP it. I forgot if the item world is open in Chapter 4, but the moment it is, take a legendary Dark Rosary and go 20-30 floors deep. You'll see how ridiculously powerful the item world makes items. Generally, if you have a problem getting through some content (def too low, ATK not high enough) 1 trip through 20-30 floors of the item level will turn that character into a power house for the general content. Then later at the top end you'll be building items that have millions on each stat with the right innocents.

One other thing, I should recommend to everyone - when you do the Chara world, make sure you pick jumping at the end. You'll want 25 jumping on all your squads at the minimum. (Jump is the green wing icon - most start at 15 or 20).
Right, I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed.

Like, I don't like managing big groups of people, I usually like to have 7-8 guys and then no one else. I also feel pressured to upgrade everyone's gears, skills, Evilities, etc., and running around to all of the NPCs all the time definitely gets chaotic. Also managing Innocents. I think I almost burst a blood vessel when I was scrolling down my list of items, adding every Innocent to my warehouse, then got the message that my warehouse was full. X_X

Item World has been really helpful for leveling up my team. I don't really pay attention to the item levels because usually by the time I get out of the Item World, I found an item with better stats to replace it with.

I also did Chara World for a few characters and picked weapon proficiency instead of jumping. Can I redo that?