The RPG Thread

I'm just about done Bloodborne and am thinking about my next game. A friend of mine swears that Ni No Kuni is amazing, but I don't normally agree with him about games. Can anyone confirm? I haven't played a JRPG in a while, but do enjoy them.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't think of a further rpg from Bloodborne than Ni No Kuni haw. I'm currently replaying it now, and the issues with the combat system still stand out. The tutorial stuff isn't -that- bad, without hearing the echo-chamber here on how horrific it was to bolster my dislike. But the no clipping/pathing/ai issues in combat definitely make for some frustrating moments. It's a solid game and you can probably get it super cheap at this point. I really enjoyed the story and there's enough "collect this, grind that!" type stuff between heavy story portions to keep me entertained and occupied, even unto the post game. I'd recommend checking out the original Ni No Kuni threadhttp://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...highlight=kunias many of the comments are still 100% valid on it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ni no Kuni is one of my favorite games of all time, the glaring two issues for me are that AI is absolutely pants on head retarded and Mr drippy thinks you're literally retarded throughout the entire game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Those two glaring issues made the game completely unplayable to me. I lasted something like 20 hours before it went back into the Gamefly envelope. Issue #3 would be that it's pretty clearly a Level-5 game with Ghibli art, and not a Ghibli game with Level-5 programming.

Crone

Crone, I think you're way too concerned with figuring out "a build" to use. Your first priority should be actually seeing if you can beat the game once. Then you can worry about trying out all the tricky shit.

You won't even have to start a new character. There's an item you can get called the Soul Vessel that allows you to respend all of your points that you've spent. I'm not going to tell you where to get it though, because knowing you, you'll probably burn all of them on your existing character then have a new idea and start over again.

If you're having fun doing what you're doing, then by all means keep doing it, but I really think you're too worried about min/maxing instead of just playing the game.
This is true. 90% of my gaming is MMO's, where there is an easy min/max build that you should be doing. I was thinking about it, and I keep trying to find the build that just let's me rock all this stuff easily. Was working as a sorcerer pretty good in the beginning, compared to melee, the ranged attacks were great. Then I hit a wall, and I'm like F this, and go back to a strength melee character, until I hit a wall, and I'm back to my Sorcerer. I'm gonna try and stick with my Sorcerer though, because I do want to progress in the game, and beat it. I worry that I'll get tired of the game if I don't progress soon, because I've done a lot of the same areas over and over at this point, and using the same strat to kill everything. Circle strafe, roll, fire, circle strafe, roll, fire... lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This game has a lot more to do with your skill level than your "class"/stats. Like it's been said, sl1 runs exist. Your skill level develops as you progress. You'll find at the end of the game that you adapt much easier to situations and bosses. I would just pick one and go that route otherwise you'll get burnt out. You've probably seen less than 5% of the game at heides tower and what you've seen in fotg

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ni no Kuni is one of my favorite games of all time, the glaring two issues for me are that AI is absolutely pants on head retarded and Mr drippy thinks you're literally retarded throughout the entire game.
The latter had me amused ultimately through most of the game, that he honestly does think you're a crybaby.

Biggest issue for I think everyone is the AI is really that stupid, half the time you tell your monster to attack they stand around not swinging because they aren't in range (?) but won't move closer either. Short of when you get some of the uber OP defensive units even on the easier difficulty it's possible to die before you can really even heal yourself if you aren't watching that shit.

That said, it is a rather fun game and story is pretty interesting.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How long does the game take to beat? I think I might do a free trial for Gamefly and finally play it.

Talking about Ni no Kuni.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm just about done Bloodborne and am thinking about my next game. A friend of mine swears that Ni No Kuni is amazing, but I don't normally agree with him about games. Can anyone confirm? I haven't played a JRPG in a while, but do enjoy them.
I've got about 200 hours into The Last Remnant and am still doing NG+ runs and trying different class/item setups. Really enjoying it and it's only $10 on Steam. Took me 163 hours to 100% it the first time through.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
How long does the game take to beat? I think I might do a free trial for Gamefly and finally play it.

If you are talking just plowing through the story on easy, without min/maxing the shit out of your familiar pool (such as a probably non-existant preorder bonus pet that can solo bosses in the middle of the game) and doing minimal extra content, probably 25-30 hours, especially if you don't skip cutscenes/story or whatever hipster shit people do these days with rpgs. There's a reasonable amount of side content and post game content, as well as grinding to get specific familiars and then grinding them up to easily last you 40-50+, especially on normal where things don't explode into a fine mist with one hit.

edit: clarification - mobs on normal don't explode with one hit unless you are specifically using certain familiars, which aren't available until 1/2 - 2/3 through the game. It doesn't take much googling to find information on those specific mobs, and they are referenced multiple times in the original thread. You can actually speed up your playtime by getting those and then just abusing them for the rest of the game, because they will trivialize normal content completely, and make bosses even easier than they already are. But they are just a very broken exception to the easy/normal difference.

Crone

I can send you a referral if you want. You get an additional Free month, and I get a free month. Just PM your email address and I can send it out if you want.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Mothercocksuckingfuckershit Zestiria's Water Temple is awwwwwwful when you're wasted. And yes, I'm wasted at 4PM - that's what happens when I'm liquidating vacation time.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Mothercocksuckingfuckershit Zestiria's Water Temple is awwwwwwful when you're wasted. And yes, I'm wasted at 4PM - that's what happens when I'm liquidating vacation time.
It took me a moment to realize that you don't have to play a guessing game of when you are or aren't in the eye's field of vision - The tiles on the ground are marked. And you can only cross 2 before your bubble runs out, don't bother trying to push it to 3.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think the ground markings went away in the third or fourth wing? It was only there to train you at the start. Or maybe I was drunk too.

Crone

So I ended up buying dark souls 2 from Gamefly. I had tomb raider and some other games on my Q but due to availability ended up getting shipped Witcher 3. Uh oh! Another huge massive game! I'm not a huge fan of Skyrim, or fallout 4, so open world games typically don't do it for me, but will have to give this a try and see. Will continue to put time into dark souls as I think the game is fantastic.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
The Witcher 3 I appreciated more than enjoyed, and did so on the same grounds that underlie your trepidation - I also dislike open-world games, and despite the violent proclamations on this board that the Witcher 3isn'topen-world, it was too open for me and featured too many (imo) flaws associated with that type of game. The XP curve was shit, itemization was shit, quest overload gave you too much shit to do with too little gained by doing so, etc.

All the same, I can't deny the strength of its narrative and the depth of characterization. I gave up when I hit Skellige, but I'll probably pick it up again at some point.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
rpg-smoke_1869714i.jpg

What's going on in here guys?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Took me 35 hours to beat ni no Kuni but I did some monster grinding before I beat it.
Just killed uh, everything in Ni No Kuni (minus grinding out alchemy crap) and it took me 45 hours to max level characters/pets I wanted as well as beat all optional post-game content. This is with reading the text from every character in the game, including side quest text. Was at 30 (some grinding, but not a ton) hours played when I beat the last boss for the first time, and then I spent a lot of time evolving familiars to different final forms for most of the post-game hours. Easily a game you could beat in a week of casual playing, no problem. Along with FF13, that's the second ps3+ era console RPG I've played completely through twice now.

Now I'm finishing up my ffx remaster run, hurray.

edit: Woops, should have said JRPG. I've run through Dark Souls 1/2 twice each, and Dragon's Dogma like 3x.