The RPG Thread

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wait what? On Desemu I can't fast forward text or anything during the conversations.... hmm maybe I needed to remap a key.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Checked gamefaqs:
"Fast-forward: keep pressing B or L or touching the bottom screen. If you finished a section, you can use the D-Pad (right) to go through it very fast in the subsequent playthrough."

With VLR they made a tons of improvements to that though, it has an ingame tree with all the choices and stuff and you can just click where you want to restart from. There are however a fuckton more forks, so it's different.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In VLR you can make the full line of text appear at once by pressing A, then if you press it again it skips the VO and goes to the next line. It's less annoying than how 999 did it.

Once you're to the point where you're repeating sections of the game you can either jump directly to the beginning of a chunk of time, or autoskip+fast forward through what you've seen before.

And as far as I know Citra can't come close to running the game at full framerate, so the music, voices, and other audio all sounds like shit.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Decided to cancel my Star Ocean pre-order. Leaving for CA on Tuesday for 3 weeks, and by the time I get back, I Am Setsuna will be just about out. I've noticed JRPG's going on sale pretty fast after they come out, so I will just get it at a lower price down the road.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The Fire Emblem characters play the roles that Persona play in Persona basically.

It feels like something betwee Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5, but without the time mechanic or school stuff.

Basically the combat of a SMT game with the rock paper scissors of the weapon types of Fire Emblem with Fire Emblem characters as Persona. All the spells are just like SMT series, with little to none of the "social" mechanics.

And the "Idol" storyline shit isn't too egregious.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah the idol stuff and the singing/dancing is pretty eye roll worthy but it's pretty good. Normally I'm bored of an SMT game by now lol

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Got pillars of eternity and think I might play it next. Any tips before I jump in?
If area is too hard just come back.
Check what stats are actually important, might for example effects all damage so a wizard with maxed might is the way to go for your glass cannon.
First play through use the story characters, expansions are worth the money.
Quick save constantly.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Making your main character a tank can make a few fights that happen right after dialogue easier.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the idol stuff and the singing/dancing is pretty eye roll worthy but it's pretty good. Normally I'm bored of an SMT game by now lol
Played it some more last night. Was midnight, but figured I'd play for a few minutes before going to bed. 3 hours later I had to force myself to turn it off since I had to get up for work in 4 hours.

I like it. Granted not that far into it, but appears to be very forgiving with the dungeons. Letting you exit them easily to heal back up/get new items/gain new skills, then jump back in.

I'd classify it like a Persona light. Social links (at least so far) are fairly automated and the story has a more PG tone to it. However, the combat is so Persona like that it wouldn't be out of place in Persona 5. Fast and seems easy until you encounter the enemies that the game tells you are difficult. Had to spam resurrect potions.

It invites to grinding and makes the combat sections welcome, so would recommend it to people with a Wii U that like these games. Go into it expecting Persona though, not Fire Emblem.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Played it some more last night. Was midnight, but figured I'd play for a few minutes before going to bed. 3 hours later I had to force myself to turn it off since I had to get up for work in 4 hours.

I like it. Granted not that far into it, but appears to be very forgiving with the dungeons. Letting you exit them easily to heal back up/get new items/gain new skills, then jump back in.

I'd classify it like a Persona light. Social links (at least so far) are fairly automated and the story has a more PG tone to it. However, the combat is so Persona like that it wouldn't be out of place in Persona 5. Fast and seems easy until you encounter the enemies that the game tells you are difficult. Had to spam resurrect potions.

It invites to grinding and makes the combat sections welcome, so would recommend it to people with a Wii U that like these games. Go into it expecting Persona though, not Fire Emblem.
Yeah i like it a lot too, i'm only like 12 hours into it or so but i feel the same way about it. It's definitely 95% SMT and 5% FE though, which is probably a good thing lol

I really wish it got dubbed though, it irks me that their battle phrases and shit aren't subtitled and i know like no japanese so i'll only pick up a couple words once in awhile so i can't undestand the banter they say during battles
frown.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone picking up God Eater: Resurrection tomorrow? Out on PS4/Vita. Looks like a monster hunter type game
Nope, getting the PC version of God Eater Rage Burst 2 which comes with Resurrection free. Hopefully there will be a way to undo the retarded censorship (blood removal) that Resurrection has on PS4/Vita. PC just has to wait until 8/20 to get both games, consoles get Resurrection early and 2 on 8/20 as well.

Incidentally if you preorder Rage Burst 2 on PSN now, you should get Resurrection for free tomorrow. Saw someone complaining that people in NA don't get it if they buy the Vita version so it may be PS4 only.

Has anyone played Trails of Cold Steel (Vita/PS3)?
I like JRPG's, and this one was well reviewed and gets hyped whenever I see Vita game discussion online. My main concern is the amount of missable stuff with the social/timing system. I don't like missing out on things because I forgot to talk to a specific NPC at a specific time, with most games replaying wouldn't be an issue but this one is supposed to be very long. It's kind of the same reason I've been having a hard time getting through Persona 4 Golden. These mechanics stress me out, because I'm always worried I'm going to miss something significant by not speaking to every NPC every single day.