The Sad, sad, state of MMORPG in this brave new era...

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
WoW Classic will come out and people will go ' wow this sucks' and go back to BfA

I don't doubt that it will "flop" compared to the expectations. I'm not even sure if I will check it out. But I doubt I'll be playing more than 2-3 months of BfA either, over the 2ish year life of the xpac. And I do have the gaming time.

You are also right that it's the best MMO (that or EVE), but that just means I don't play MMOs except for that 6 week burst once per year. The entire genre is a pale shadow of itself these days.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Dark Iron, and Silithus/AQ.

I was one of very, very, very few people who had Dark Iron, Cenarion, and Zandalar Tribe (Zul'gurub token where you turned in at the shrine) reputation. I literally needed the help of my entire guild. I do miss vanilla's mob density, and ability to aoe farm shit. Legion has everything nearly perfectly spaced, with short leashes.

Argent Dawn
Brood of Nozdormu (AQ)
Cenarion Circle (Silithus)
Hydraxian Warlords (Molten Core)
Thorium Brotherhood (Dark Iron)
Zandalar Tribe (ZG)

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MMOs are dying because they haven't reinvented the formula in all the years. Just like you don't see many vector based top asteroid shooters anymore. It also might be a effect of the developers always thinking "feature, feature, feature" without making sure their core game is actually fun to play.

Also is it an unspoken rule between MMOs that they have the absolute shittiest animations and models of any game genre?

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was one of very, very, very few people who had Dark Iron, Cenarion, and Zandalar Tribe (Zul'gurub token where you turned in at the shrine) reputation. I literally needed the help of my entire guild. I do miss vanilla's mob density, and ability to aoe farm shit. Legion has everything nearly perfectly spaced, with short leashes.

Argent Dawn
Brood of Nozdormu (AQ)
Cenarion Circle (Silithus)
Hydraxian Warlords (Molten Core)
Thorium Brotherhood (Dark Iron)
Zandalar Tribe (ZG)
Hydraxian WATERlords you noob.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like who remembers that shit, like seriously? I must of smoked too much weed in my 20s because I dont remember none of that good shit. All I remember about wow, tbh, is the Alterac Valley fights and my whirlwind shaman with a TUF.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember fighting people in Tanaris in Vanilla WOW. World PVP used to be so amazing. Seems to be a dying theme in today's MMOs.

Argarth

On the verandah
The new leveling grind combined WITH the nerf to Heirlooms, is the most miserable thing Blizzard has done to WoW in as long as I can remember.

Thoughts I had of leveling an alt-faction warrior, and taking 1 or 2 of my other non max-level characters to cap (during the wait for BfA)... no way I can stomach it now, and no fucking way am I paying $60 a pop for the "privilege".

Soon as I finish with Argus on my main (missed most of Legion) will be canceling until BfA. I honestly hope this charade backfires on them in some meaningful way (i.e. $$$), since that seems to be the only thing they understand.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
We were all spoiled because the game that took our virginity was EQ (or UO for some others). After that, it's like losing your virginity to Courtney Love...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

agripa

Molten Core Raider
It comes down to your first mmo being the best mmo you will play. The rest is just chasing that original high, and every other game will be a disappointment.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It comes down to your first mmo being the best mmo you will play. The rest is just chasing that original high, and every other game will be a disappointment.

I guess you could say that for some people?... But I played "The Realm" a lot longer than I did EverQuest. I started playing that when it launched cause I was a Sierra geek through and through. I remember having the stupid Satori Baldric, Mithril Swords, etc. and groups of us being assholes out in the woods PK'ing unlucky SOB's. We were all 10-12 years old in our guild, so we were very upstanding and mature players.

I think back fondly about a lot more stuff in EverQuest than I did in The Realm or Ultima Online. Yea, a lot of shit is "Rose Colored Glasses" with EQ. But on the other side of that, you cannot deny that the EQ designers tripped and fell onto a perfect formula. Everything pushed you towards being social. Majority of classes had to group or raid to get any shot at progressing their character. Raid Spawns were limited, so you raced to beat other people out.. causing drama. Your bind point as a Warrior is back at town, so while you're settled in with your group and a Sand Giant comes by and unexpectedly rips your asshole open - you die and have to run back, which in case.. you're either being social and asking for someone in that zone to rez you. Or you're looking for a SoW and Levitate to help you get back to your group quicker. Or a Corpse Summon in that situation. Or you ask a random passing by buffer of some type to give you their buffs. Or you need to go to the other side of the world, so you look for who is porting. Or like what has been talked about, you need a f'n rogue to come unlock this stupid f'n door in Old Sebilis.

You could go on and on about how EverQuest put you in the situations that you needed someones help. You had to trust that people would help you and you're grateful for that help. World of Warcraft is a wonderful game, that is very polished and complete. But social interactions have almost came to a standstill in that game. Im not saying I condone one approach to social activities in an MMO over the other, but you dont have to take any psych classes to know why EQ is so memorable.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Not this again

I'm never again playing a PvP based MMO where one class focuses on stealth ambush w/ crowd control built in of course!

Will Vanilla WoW have the old rogue in it? :p About 17 minutes in is what I remember happening with my Warlock before they introduced Death Coil.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess you could say that for some people?... But I played "The Realm" a lot longer than I did EverQuest. I started playing that when it launched cause I was a Sierra geek through and through. I remember having the stupid Satori Baldric, Mithril Swords, etc. and groups of us being assholes out in the woods PK'ing unlucky SOB's. We were all 10-12 years old in our guild, so we were very upstanding and mature players.

I think back fondly about a lot more stuff in EverQuest than I did in The Realm or Ultima Online. Yea, a lot of shit is "Rose Colored Glasses" with EQ. But on the other side of that, you cannot deny that the EQ designers tripped and fell onto a perfect formula. Everything pushed you towards being social. Majority of classes had to group or raid to get any shot at progressing their character. Raid Spawns were limited, so you raced to beat other people out.. causing drama. Your bind point as a Warrior is back at town, so while you're settled in with your group and a Sand Giant comes by and unexpectedly rips your asshole open - you die and have to run back, which in case.. you're either being social and asking for someone in that zone to rez you. Or you're looking for a SoW and Levitate to help you get back to your group quicker. Or a Corpse Summon in that situation. Or you ask a random passing by buffer of some type to give you their buffs. Or you need to go to the other side of the world, so you look for who is porting. Or like what has been talked about, you need a f'n rogue to come unlock this stupid f'n door in Old Sebilis.

You could go on and on about how EverQuest put you in the situations that you needed someones help. You had to trust that people would help you and you're grateful for that help. World of Warcraft is a wonderful game, that is very polished and complete. But social interactions have almost came to a standstill in that game. Im not saying I condone one approach to social activities in an MMO over the other, but you dont have to take any psych classes to know why EQ is so memorable.

Not only that, but your name carried with it a reputation. There was no "Name/Class/Server/Sex" change in the game. I also appreciated that I could group with an ogre or troll. Yes the cities might have killed me on sight but I could still play with my friends despite the choice they made. For PvP, factions should exist but in a non PvP based setting I hated Horde/Alliance bullshit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yeah. Much like WOW. EQ was its own perfect storm. No competition, punishing. But also mysterious. This is the part that I miss the most in the modern gaming era. EQ had it's own huge fog of knowledge. Shit wasn't instantly datamined. If you weren't in the uber guilds discussing intricate portions of the game on private forums or hoarding knowledge it was limited to just what you could figure out.

I absolutely loved the EQMAPS site back in the day. Without even having a basic map system, you would go see this compiled list of all the zones mapped out by hand. In extreme detail and different styles. Some real artsy some more pragmatic. But even then they weren't perfect. You really had to ask around and wonder what was beyond the horizon. How will this possibly bugged quest work out? I read a few years ago that EQ had something like 7000 quests that players never even discovered. Which is fucking hilarious.

The initial discussions of the Monk Epic on Monkly Business is probably some of the most hilarious gaming discussion I have ever read. To this very day. 100+ people rampantly discussing what the vague ass ghost in Overthere actually wanted. God damn.

Obviously that is never, ever coming back since we have huge datamines right from the Alpha builds. Into youtube channels covering every portion of it you could possibly want. Before we even get to the in game conveniences

Not that these are bad things. I don't got no time to waste no more much like a lot of you. Still miss that portion of the game the most. Or of games in general I guess.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The initial discussions of the Monk Epic on Monkly Business is probably some of the most hilarious gaming discussion I have ever read. To this very day. 100+ people rampantly discussing what the vague ass ghost in Overthere actually wanted. God damn.
You still find that in the Discord for secret hunting in WoW. But they'll never hide game-important info ever again, I think.