The Sad, sad, state of MMORPG in this brave new era...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Daily quests are the worst thing ever brought to gaming. And they just nerfed the shit out of exp gain from 1-100 in the last patch. It's way, way slower now and let me tell you. The game is not better off for it.

They claim it's to get people out of the dungeon queue and into the open world and that it's better for new players to experience the game while leveling. But it's just to sell more level 110 character boosts.
Khane you cannot reason with these savages

Khane

Got something right about marriage
We're going to see exp potions on the Blizzard store soon. I'd stake my reputation on it!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Daily quests are the worst thing ever brought to gaming. And they just nerfed the shit out of exp gain from 1-100 in the last patch. It's way, way slower now and let me tell you. The game is not better off for it.

They claim it's to get people out of the dungeon queue and into the open world and that it's better for new players to experience the game while leveling. But it's just to sell more level 110 character boosts.
Dailies are terrible. Never did them in WotLK, the expansion I was most active in. Hated the concept of logging in and doing the exact same quests for "faction" everyday.

I was also let down by the faction system in WoW vs EQ. I guess Vanilla WoW had a few factions you could get kos to friendly with, but still, there were so many fewer and no relationships between them.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was going to quote, but way too many posts.

I agree with all of you. Bear ass quests suck. The fact that they nerfed leveling in WoW is painful. I mean seriously, it's so mind numbing and it now takes longer? How out of touch can you be. Dailies are bear ass quests for max level characters. And yeah Blizzard's corporate speak to justify shitty decisions in an attempt to thinly veil a money grab, are laughable. You get NO experience to how the game actually plays by running through the solo leveling game in the over world. I just have no patience to sit anywhere and wait for any amount of time to get in and start playing, nor do I have any interest in speeding that up and playing a class that I do not like to play. MMOs are not for me, I know that, but I feel like I'm in with the majority here, and thus why MMOs are in a sad state. There is just more money to be made by other online genres.

Khane

Vanilla WoW had some cool reputation stuff where you could get items to turn you into a pirate or reputation specific vendors that sold unique items. And you could actually grind those reputations. Those days are long gone. It's pretty fucking annoying going back to do some old world reputation stuff that was released like 8 years ago and not being able to get more than 1000 rep a day.

I wanted to go back to Cataclysm to do the Molten Front stuff to get that hippogryph mount. Then I realized it was going to take me like 3 goddamn months because the only source of rep is dailies.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Vanilla WoW had some cool reputation stuff where you could get items to turn you into a pirate or reputation specific vendors that sold unique items. And you could actually grind those reputations. Those days are long gone. It's pretty fucking annoying going back to do some old world reputation stuff that was released like 8 years ago and not being able to get more than 1000 rep a day.

I wanted to go back to Cataclysm to do the Molten Front stuff to get that hippogryph mount. Then I realized it was going to take me like 3 goddamn months because the only source of rep is dailies.
I mean, there was pirates (grind gobbys) and furbolgs, can't remember any others

Khane

Pirates, Furbolgs, Argent Dawn, Cenarion Circle, The Alliance only elves shit in Winterspring. There might be some I'm missing. Steamwheedle Cartel?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Pirates, Furbolgs, Argent Dawn, Cenarion Circle, The Alliance only elves shit in Winterspring. There might be some I'm missing. Steamwheedle Cartel?
Argent Dawn came from quests mainly and dungeons (strath, scholo), forgot about cenarion circle (fuck syphilus) and steamweedle was mainly questing too, no?

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not calling for the return of sitting in one spot and killing the same 5 mobs over and over for hours on end. But one thing I noticed when I hit dungeons pretty hard in Pandoria, are the dungeons themselves are fairly linear. I mean even some of the older ones were that way too. I kind of miss the Guks, and the Sol Bs, and Sebs from years gone by. The layouts to some of those things were insane.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not calling for the return of sitting in one spot and killing the same 5 mobs over and over for hours on end. But one thing I noticed when I hit dungeons pretty hard in Pandoria, are the dungeons themselves are fairly linear. I mean even some of the older ones were that way too. I kind of miss the Guks, and the Sol Bs, and Sebs from years gone by. The layouts to some of those things were insane.

Yeah wow basically redid all the dungeons through the eras to add them to the dungeon finder, where they all pretty much ended up being linear and boring.

Imagine if those EQ dungeons were instanced based on how many people were there, and the levels of the mobs were a bit more closer together so you could actually dungeon crawl through them, like it was intended, but never realized.

Khane

Argent Dawn came from quests mainly and dungeons (strath, scholo), forgot about cenarion circle (fuck syphilus) and steamweedle was mainly questing too, no?

Nah Argent Dawn only gave rep from dungeons until like Friendly or Honored or something. Then you had to grind out the tokens in either WPL, EPL or from the mobs in the dungeons. I remember doing it because the vendor sold Mana Potions which were a really big deal back then and were pretty expensive to make/buy from the AH.

I would AE kite the one farm in WPL that had all melee mobs with my mage.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Imagine if those were instanced and the levels of the mobs were a bit more closer together so you could actually dungeon crawl through them, like it was intended, but never realized.
BDRD, BRS, Scholo and Strath were somewhat like that. Suppose Mara too in Vanilla WoW

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Nah Argent Dawn only gave rep from dungeons until like Friendly or Honored or something. Then you had to grind out the tokens in either WPL, EPL or from the mobs in the dungeons. I remember doing it because the vendor sold Mana Potions which were a really big deal back then and were pretty expensive to make/buy from the AH.
That's right. Fuck. I did Scholo and Strath so much. Was so fucking pumped getting my blue lightsaber from the Scholo quest line

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
BDRD, BRS, Scholo and Strath were somewhat like that. Suppose Mara too in Vanilla WoW

Most vanilla wow dungeons were like that and they were cool as hell. Maraudon too. But then TBC came around and they started to get really linear.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah wow basically redid all the dungeons through the eras to add them to the dungeon finder, where they all pretty much ended up being linear and boring.

Imagine if those EQ dungeons were instanced based on how many people were there, and the levels of the mobs were a bit more closer together so you could actually dungeon crawl through them, like it was intended, but never realized.

I always kind of wished that WoW would have done a hybrid. They "kind" of did that with BRS (I think that's right, the big ass volcano where all the instances were) but they didn't' do it again. Like take Guk. The vast majority of it is "Open" but like the pathway to the Frenzied Ghoul is an instance for example. I think that would have been cool. Have mobs out in the non instanced portions that people can bang on and get some decent xp and gear from while waiting to get a group to do one of the "boss" tunnels spread around the place.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I always kind of wished that WoW would have done a hybrid. They "kind" of did that with BRS (I think that's right, the big ass volcano where all the instances were) but they didn't' do it again. Like take Guk. The vast majority of it is "Open" but like the pathway to the Frenzied Ghoul is an instance for example. I think that would have been cool. Have mobs out in the non instanced portions that people can bang on and get some decent xp and gear from while waiting to get a group to do one of the "boss" tunnels spread around the place.
Didn't EQ2 have something like this?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats the thing I hated about EQ dungeons, say even blackburrow, one of the noob dungeons. The mobs in the beginning were like lv 7-8 then at the end they were close to 20 or some shit. But they forgot that it took you a few weeks to level between lv8 and 20 back then.

Same with all the top end dungeons too, usually started about 35 or 40 and then the end was 50-60. And thats an even worse spread level wise because back then leveling from 30-50 was at least a month if not more for average people. This is why people camped. Because at any level you only had so many mobs that you were able to handle with your group. Dungeons in EQ shoud of been at most a 5 lv spread.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
30-50 was not a month for average people. I was average and I was in the 30s for almost that long alone.

As far as the level ranges. I don't remember them being all that big until the higher level dungeons. CB was level 6-10 with the emperor and that dark elf being the absolute highest. Unrest was strictly in the teens with maybe that dwarf ghost being in his 20s. God maybe your right as I do remember the bosses of those places being kind of high. But SolB was the first one where you were in your 30's going in, but had to be 50 and in multiple groups for Golden Ifriti guy and a full on raid for Nagafen.

• 1Like