The "Shit I just bought" thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just bought this. I got the 4cyl turbo. Blah blah shoulda got the V8. I could have. But I drove this one for shits and giggles, and its just fun.

Yeah, its definitely slower than the V8. But damnit, its fun, was cheaper than the v8 by a huge fucking margin, and gets pretty damn good gas mileage. Fuck it.

View attachment 174186
That's a Camaro, right?

This will sound like I'm bashing you, but I'm really not. I couldn't care less what you or anyone else drives...except the douchebag I work with that literally won't shut the fuck up about it. He literally insists upon driving every sales rep to lunch even if it means other people might have to take additional cars instead of all fitting into one SUV, because he wants to gun his engine and weave through traffic. (He drives like shit, too.)

Our investment guy showed up in a brand new Porsche Carrera, and while I'm not a Porsche fan and have literally no idea which car is "better" or faster, our douchebag told investment guy he should go check out his Camaro if he liked sweet cars. He has an RS. Again, I don't fucking know what specifically he has in it, but everyone else refers to it (behind his back) as "The Base Model" because he tried to convince a few of us that it was practically the same as the SS, but better gas mileage. Even I know that's fucking retarded. And I also know that someone that went ahead and bought a Porsche Carrera (even if his is Base Model too) isn't going to be overly impressed by a Camaro RS.

My car is also a 4-cylinder Turbo (Hyundai Sonata, which is a nice car despite what Lanx says about Hyundais, he's just extra-racist so anything not his particular brand of Asian is shit), so I certainly wouldn't bash you for having practically the same thing (I'm quite certain yours is much faster and better handling), but I will bash the fuck out of douchebag because he acts like he has a fucking Corvette sitting out there. So help me out here. His says nothing besides RS. How do I know anything else about it? It is a 2017, and google tells me that there's a 4-, 6-, and 8-cylinder model. I feel fairly sure he said it was a V-6 at one point, but I could easily be wrong. It certainly didn't feel like turbos ever kicked in, so I'd lean more towards the V6 being accurate. I'd also love to figure out if he really does have the fucking base model in terms of interior, suspension, etc. but I can't ask directly. Google isn't helping me determine which specific trim package he might have, as it appears that RS spans many. I just don't know if any of those other letters would show up on the back or side of the car somewhere?

Looking at yours, the back end is slightly different than his, so maybe you can't help me with a 2017 model, but I figured I'd ask, and it was just funny how your "Not a V8" post popped up in my face practically moments after some of us were just talking shit about his Base Model again. Congratulations on your purchase. I'm glad you like your car, and I might even make the same choice in your situation, but I'm sure neither of us would talk about it like it is the star of the next Fast & Furious movie either.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i mean, my wife did have a 94 hyundai sonata, that thing was a piece of shit. then she got a civic (which i still drive) and zero problems. (gonna do a atf change on it!) then in 03? she lost her purse or it got stolen, we still don't know and we were in ny at the time. so we didn't have keys to the civic (we were visiting in ny) and she just took her sisters hyundai 03 sonata. still troubles (as to why the family keeps on buying hyundais, dad knew some ppl, etc).

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
That whole debate over having to have a V8 in a car that has a long history of being a muscle car.

I had to use google-fu to check, but you're getting 275HP out of it which is more than the first generations of those cars were getting with the V8 back in their day.

Modern engines, it's just better. And I'm sure the handling is much better with a lighter engine.

I love the sound of a wobbly 8 as much as anyone. But their days might be numbered.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just bought this. I got the 4cyl turbo. Blah blah shoulda got the V8. I could have. But I drove this one for shits and giggles, and its just fun.

Yeah, its definitely slower than the V8. But damnit, its fun, was cheaper than the v8 by a huge fucking margin, and gets pretty damn good gas mileage. Fuck it.

View attachment 174186

I don't know about the Camaro but the Mustang turbo 4 was pretty great. I rented one for work for about 2 weeks once. I came pretty close to buying one. It was quick though not V8 quick and highly modable. Plus handled well with out the bigger motor in the front.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I'm a Dodge guy...So I have a natural hate for your Camaro.

My man!
daytona.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Mostly Old Parts And Rust

Lol just kidding, good looking car.

And yeah, having a 4cyl RS, or base model, camaro isn't anything to be acting all boy racer with. I get good gas mileage, it is relatively quick, handles VERY nicely, and has all the tech goodies I could want. But I don't kid myself into thinking I'm all fucking badass in it. Its a fun, relatively economic sporty car.

I look at it like a modern day 180sx, or FC rx-7.

And I swear to pete the 0-60 timer built in lies. Said I did it in 5.5. No fucking way this thing is that fast. lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
i mean, my wife did have a 94 hyundai sonata, that thing was a piece of shit. then she got a civic (which i still drive) and zero problems. (gonna do a atf change on it!) then in 03? she lost her purse or it got stolen, we still don't know and we were in ny at the time. so we didn't have keys to the civic (we were visiting in ny) and she just took her sisters hyundai 03 sonata. still troubles (as to why the family keeps on buying hyundais, dad knew some ppl, etc).
Well, I'm gonna say that in the 15 years since you've actually had a new one, Hyundai has changed a shitload. I thought they were ugly pieces of shit too, back in the 90s and early 00s. Now, they are ranked fairly even with most other comparable brands. Don't get me wrong, Chevy, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, countless others, even fucking Audi have models that, from a distance, look nearly fucking identical to mine and all the others. But they are pretty reliable, and I'm not just basing that on my experiences, I researched them pretty well before buying my 2014, and then again in 2017.

I'm fine with someone just hating a brand of car, I do it too. But your '03 isn't really a good basis for comparison anymore.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Well, I'm gonna say that in the 15 years since you've actually had a new one, Hyundai has changed a shitload. I thought they were ugly pieces of shit too, back in the 90s and early 00s. Now, they are ranked fairly even with most other comparable brands. Don't get me wrong, Chevy, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, countless others, even fucking Audi have models that, from a distance, look nearly fucking identical to mine and all the others. But they are pretty reliable, and I'm not just basing that on my experiences, I researched them pretty well before buying my 2014, and then again in 2017.

I'm fine with someone just hating a brand of car, I do it too. But your '03 isn't really a good basis for comparison anymore.
hey, initially you thought i was just being a korean racist piece of shit, cuz i like being an asian racist. but two hyundais and 100% failure on both, it's not like i'm just being adamant about em for no reason.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That's a Camaro, right?

This will sound like I'm bashing you, but I'm really not. I couldn't care less what you or anyone else drives...except the douchebag I work with that literally won't shut the fuck up about it. He literally insists upon driving every sales rep to lunch even if it means other people might have to take additional cars instead of all fitting into one SUV, because he wants to gun his engine and weave through traffic. (He drives like shit, too.)

Our investment guy showed up in a brand new Porsche Carrera, and while I'm not a Porsche fan and have literally no idea which car is "better" or faster, our douchebag told investment guy he should go check out his Camaro if he liked sweet cars. He has an RS. Again, I don't fucking know what specifically he has in it, but everyone else refers to it (behind his back) as "The Base Model" because he tried to convince a few of us that it was practically the same as the SS, but better gas mileage. Even I know that's fucking retarded. And I also know that someone that went ahead and bought a Porsche Carrera (even if his is Base Model too) isn't going to be overly impressed by a Camaro RS.

My car is also a 4-cylinder Turbo (Hyundai Sonata, which is a nice car despite what Lanx says about Hyundais, he's just extra-racist so anything not his particular brand of Asian is shit), so I certainly wouldn't bash you for having practically the same thing (I'm quite certain yours is much faster and better handling), but I will bash the fuck out of douchebag because he acts like he has a fucking Corvette sitting out there. So help me out here. His says nothing besides RS. How do I know anything else about it? It is a 2017, and google tells me that there's a 4-, 6-, and 8-cylinder model. I feel fairly sure he said it was a V-6 at one point, but I could easily be wrong. It certainly didn't feel like turbos ever kicked in, so I'd lean more towards the V6 being accurate. I'd also love to figure out if he really does have the fucking base model in terms of interior, suspension, etc. but I can't ask directly. Google isn't helping me determine which specific trim package he might have, as it appears that RS spans many. I just don't know if any of those other letters would show up on the back or side of the car somewhere?

Looking at yours, the back end is slightly different than his, so maybe you can't help me with a 2017 model, but I figured I'd ask, and it was just funny how your "Not a V8" post popped up in my face practically moments after some of us were just talking shit about his Base Model again. Congratulations on your purchase. I'm glad you like your car, and I might even make the same choice in your situation, but I'm sure neither of us would talk about it like it is the star of the next Fast & Furious movie either.
They're slapping small, fast spooling turbos in basically everything these days, so even a 4 feels like a 6 or more and puts 250+whp to the road. Which, speak of the Camaro, the 2017 RS model is a boosted 4 banger pushing 275hp - the SS is 650HP, so fuckin lol @ that guy. Even if they spent about $4-6k on bolt ons, tune, other shit, might get 415hp and still lag heavily behind the brute 7.2L displacement in the SS. And to even jokingly compare to a Carrera is stupid. That's a different kind of vehicle designed for tracks, not red light racing. Even still, it sits at 350hp.

I drive a 2017 Civic that's fairly modified, but never kid myself about what it actually is. A clean looking econobox that's cruises comfortably on the Texas Autobahn at 120mph while getting 36mpg.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My problem with Hyundai and Kia, they add all the bells and whistles to the baseline models, and while you can drive the things into the ground, all those extras end up breaking. Even the Genesis. But that's why they have a 100k warranty, and let's be honest, the sticker price is very reasonable.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
hey, initially you thought i was just being a korean racist piece of shit, cuz i like being an asian racist. but two hyundais and 100% failure on both, it's not like i'm just being adamant about em for no reason.
Like I said, if you wanna hate on anything I don't really mind, just saying that if the last one that broke down was a 2003, maybe they have improved since then? Ratings and reviews seem to support that from what I've seen. I mean, at one point you couldn't pay me to buy multiple different brands, but over time they've improved and won back my dollar. However, I don't make a dime whether or not you ever buy one, so buy what you want.
They're slapping small, fast spooling turbos in basically everything these days, so even a 4 feels like a 6 or more and puts 250+whp to the road. Which, speak of the Camaro, the 2017 RS model is a boosted 4 banger pushing 275hp - the SS is 650HP, so fuckin lol @ that guy. Even if they spent about $4-6k on bolt ons, tune, other shit, might get 415hp and still lag heavily behind the brute 7.2L displacement in the SS. And to even jokingly compare to a Carrera is stupid. That's a different kind of vehicle designed for tracks, not red light racing. Even still, it sits at 350hp.

I drive a 2017 Civic that's fairly modified, but never kid myself about what it actually is. A clean looking econobox that's cruises comfortably on the Texas Autobahn at 120mph while getting 36mpg.
Thanks for the good info. I'm gonna have to slyly indicate that I forget what he has under the hood (because obviously I did), and ask if it is a 4-cylinder turbo. Which again, I know it blows the doors off my 4-cylinder turbo, but yeah, the way he talks about it he's got practically the same hp as an SS. I honestly am surprised he hasn't ordered the actual SS letters and put them on himself.

And to be clear, I don't really care one way or another about Camaros in general, it's all about the douche. He could have bought my car and I'd probably end up hating it eventually. He's that big of a pompous prick. Fuck, we've had these big fires here the past month or two, and he actually came in and complained that ash was collecting on his car. People's houses are burning down, but yeah, let's worry about your car looking untidy for a few days. At least every single other person at work rolls their eyes behind his back whenever he's talking about the fucking thing.

Siliconemelons

I drive a Nissan leaf now...2012 1st gen 50-60mile range...

I will now have 1 EV and 1 "standard" car - cutting out gas has been phenomenal for the one car, and the other just is my wife and kids going to work/school and back. If it can be done in the leaf, we do it.

When the Kia NIRO or Hyundai KONA come out with their full EV versions - both estimated in the 250+ range, I will be looking at getting one of them - if the Tesla Y comes in at decent price - maybe, but they are almost out of 7500$ tax discounts so that sucks- Kia/Hyundai have tons left.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I drive like 3 miles each direction to work (can take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes), and am too lazy to ride a bike, so I've considered an electric car. However, living in an apartment pretty much kills that idea. I can't leave it plugged in overnight anywhere, and if I did someone would inevitably steal some valuable part from the charging cord soon after I replaced it each time.

Don't they also require a different outlet? If that's the case, apartments would have to specifically build with those in mind, even if you have your own garage. I don't see that happening for quite awhile, unless the complex is brand new and catering to that demographic. Sucks, because I'd probably get one for my next car if I had that option. I buy gas a lot less often than everyone else, and I'm still tired of it.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I drive like 3 miles each direction to work (can take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes), and am too lazy to ride a bike, so I've considered an electric car. However, living in an apartment pretty much kills that idea. I can't leave it plugged in overnight anywhere, and if I did someone would inevitably steal some valuable part from the charging cord soon after I replaced it each time.

Don't they also require a different outlet? If that's the case, apartments would have to specifically build with those in mind, even if you have your own garage. I don't see that happening for quite awhile, unless the complex is brand new and catering to that demographic. Sucks, because I'd probably get one for my next car if I had that option. I buy gas a lot less often than everyone else, and I'm still tired of it.
da fuq? i guess you live in shitty la? i mean a brisk walking pace would be 3miles in 40minutes.

mind you i don't drive like i used to out here in shitty topeka, just yesterday there was a cop, standing underneath a (20mph during school hours) sign w/ a radar gun... and they already pulled over a guy!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
da fuq? i guess you live in shitty la? i mean a brisk walking pace would be 3miles in 40minutes.

mind you i don't drive like i used to out here in shitty topeka, just yesterday there was a cop, standing underneath a (20mph during school hours) sign w/ a radar gun... and they already pulled over a guy!
Sacramento, CA. I live near Sac State, so when it is back in session (like just recently) traffic gets vastly worse. But even at normal times it takes me at least 10 minutes, more likely 15, just because of all the lights. It isn't LA, but it is still pretty shitty. That's why I have been living within 5 miles of work for a long time.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just scooped a pole saw to start doing some trimming on my trees that shit leaves all over my property. I'm only a recent homebuyer, plan to grab an actual chainsaw next to deal with a few of the trees near the home that add no value. Figured this would be a good starting point to clear out the lower limbs.

pole chain saw black and decker. 20V MAX Lithium Pole Saw | LPP120 | BLACK+DECKER | BLACK+DECKER

anyone have any chainsaw recommendations? Gas obviously

• 1Like

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Lucas LUC10013 10013 Fuel Treatment - 1 Gallon
Been using this for a month on our over 100k mile vehicles. Gas mileage is up, power is great, less gear downshifting for light acceleration. They feel brand new power wise.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just scooped a pole saw to start doing some trimming on my trees that shit leaves all over my property. I'm only a recent homebuyer, plan to grab an actual chainsaw next to deal with a few of the trees near the home that add no value. Figured this would be a good starting point to clear out the lower limbs.

pole chain saw black and decker. 20V MAX Lithium Pole Saw | LPP120 | BLACK+DECKER | BLACK+DECKER

don't forget the 3point cut
b5b8893b6343f9f2abc409abbc6e772b.png

It wasn't ideal but when half my tree fell down, i used my pole saw to cut it up.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Stihl and Husqvarna are the two big names in chainsaws and you can't go wrong with either of them. I have one of each and they are both great machines although like all gas powered tools they need tuning up from time to time.

Just for around the yard I would actually consider and electric saw though. The 36V Makita saw is really impressive, although fairly expensive if you need batteries, but you can use the batteries with other tools.

• 1Like