The "Shit I just bought" thread

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
the less electronics, the better imo.

Agreed. "Durable" goods don't last nearly as long anymore as they are more complex with more points of failure. I don't have any specific brands, but I would suggest to get the simplest ones you can.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
How the hell is anyone supposed to know if an appliance is any good these days? I have a consumer reports sub and I try to base it off their reliability ratings but then if I check the reviews on said products it's filled with dumbass 5 star "I've had this dishwasher for 2 and a half weeks and it cleans dishes great! Would really recommend" reviews or even more idiotic 2 star "I love to bake but this oven has been burning all my food" reviews.

What is this world? I can't even seem to find good information on what brands are considered higher quality or more dependable/durable. I need to buy new appliances for a kitchen remodel in a rental unit so I want inexpensive but reliable and It all seems to be nothing but a mixed bag of nonsense reviews.

Hotpoint...and get knobs. I will never get all those gizmos on my appliances again. All those electronics are asking for a problem. We had a Maytag at my dads house for 20+ years until it went. He bought a Hotpoint combo because it was the cheapest. 20+ years later...shit is still going.

My dumbass spent 3k on some fancy smancy GE washer dryer setup, and that shit lasted me like 2 years before the 1st repair. Electronics board blew. Under warranty...they fixed it 2 more times before I said fuck you. Know what I bought? Hotpoint! That shit has been going strong 5+ years. It looks cheap as fuck, but I never have issues.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea mechanical units seems to be the better idea, but good luck finding anything like that anymore. I have a Maytag washer in one of my units that is from the 1980s. The thing shakes the entire house when it's off center but it still cleans clothes probably better than any of these new "smart" washers. I've been here using it since I bought the place in late 2009 and the only thing I've ever had to do was replace the belt, which was a 5 minute job that cost me like 15 bucks to do myself. Apparently Maytag is Maytag is name only these days.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Hotpoint...and get knobs. I will never get all those gizmos on my appliances again. All those electronics are asking for a problem. We had a Maytag at my dads house for 20+ years until it went. He bought a Hotpoint combo because it was the cheapest. 20+ years later...shit is still going.

My dumbass spent 3k on some fancy smancy GE washer dryer setup, and that shit lasted me like 2 years before the 1st repair. Electronics board blew. Under warranty...they fixed it 2 more times before I said fuck you. Know what I bought? Hotpoint! That shit has been going strong 5+ years. It looks cheap as fuck, but I never have issues.
Never heard of them, but I'll be sure to look into them when our crappy Samsung washer and dryer go.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea mechanical units seems to be the better idea, but good luck finding anything like that anymore. I have a Maytag washer in one of my units that is from the 1980s. The thing shakes the entire house when it's off center but it still cleans clothes probably better than any of these new "smart" washers. I've been here using it since I bought the place in late 2009 and the only thing I've ever had to do was replace the belt, which was a 5 minute job that cost me like 15 bucks to do myself. Apparently Maytag is Maytag is name only these days.
wasn't that difficult to find good knob only units, just go from cheapest to most expensive and when you see a model w/ a LCD screen, stop and go back one.

yes, this type does not have auto release of fabric softener, you have to get one of those downy balls instead.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Go to an appliance repair place and offer the (probably) bored old dude with decades of experience $10 for 10 minutes of his time to advise what to get/avoid.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We've bought a lot of appliances in the last few years and they have been universally junk. I'm actually taking my Mom's 3 year old Whirlpool refrigerator to the shop tomorrow. We bought a GE set with a double oven, microwave, and dishwasher 5 years ago when we remodeled her kitchen and the only piece still going is the dishwasher which she hardly uses. We replaced the microwave with a whirlpool and the fucking thing has a circuit board that is sensitive to heat so if the temperature goes above a certain point the fan comes on and CANNOT be turned off except by unplugging the microwave.

Interestingly, my Samsung washer/dryer work great although they're only 5 years old. The steam mode on the washer actually does a much better job on my super dirty jeans than my old top loader did.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
We've bought a lot of appliances in the last few years and they have been universally junk. I'm actually taking my Mom's 3 year old Whirlpool refrigerator to the shop tomorrow. We bought a GE set with a double oven, microwave, and dishwasher 5 years ago when we remodeled her kitchen and the only piece still going is the dishwasher which she hardly uses. We replaced the microwave with a whirlpool and the fucking thing has a circuit board that is sensitive to heat so if the temperature goes above a certain point the fan comes on and CANNOT be turned off except by unplugging the microwave.

Interestingly, my Samsung washer/dryer work great although they're only 5 years old. The steam mode on the washer actually does a much better job on my super dirty jeans than my old top loader did.
Try LG. Better than Chinese shit from GE.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Didn't buy it, got it as a gift, but it's pretty badass.

dm0778_1.jpg

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My parents have replaced both their washer and dryer with LGs in the past 18 months. They've only had the dryer for 4 months, but have been happy with both so far.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Have been using Samsung for laundry since 2012. We moved in 2016 and bought new ones. No issues.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if I mentioned these but both were funded sometime last year. Earphones should arrive this week, knife I have no idea yet

Headphones look interesting
I'm very wary of kickstarter audio gear if it's not from a major manufacturer. Interested to hear how they turn out.
So I've paired them with my phone and all but forgot about them in my work bag. Alone in the office today so I'm listening to some music while I do my thing. Sound is a bit thin but well, I guess size matters. I have no other bluetooth headphones like these to compare them to so...
I guess they are ok.

Edit. Listened to some music that I know very well and the voice is crystal clear, the music will play and you identify the singer 100%. It's just lacking bass, and that is a core element of music. My 1989 Sony walkman earphones had more bass.

Might start listening to podcasts though heh.

Last edited:

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Also ordered this
because my 1st Gen Logitech G15 is losing keys, and has been doing so for years. I mourn the loss of my trusty G15, having 18 extra keys was the tits, had it since oh, 2006 or so.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So I just nabbed an Amazon Echo Dot as a prop for a commercial I'm helping shoot. Anyone find these things useful? Still kinda think it's a little gimmicky.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have a google home hub and I find that the times I want to talk to it are pretty much non-existent. I do like having it in the kitchen to watch YouTube videos while I cook or wash dishes, but even for that I don't use the voice interface. I just queue up a few videos on my phone and cast them.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I have a google home hub and I find that the times I want to talk to it are pretty much non-existent. I do like having it in the kitchen to watch YouTube videos while I cook or wash dishes, but even for that I don't use the voice interface. I just queue up a few videos on my phone and cast them.

Timers for food when cooking (By far the most). Traffic. Weather. Sports schedules. Bout it.

• 1Like