The "Shit I just bought" thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I should do the timer thing I guess. I still use the one on my microwave like I'm a goddamn senior citizen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I should do the timer thing I guess. I still use the one on my microwave like I'm a goddamn senior citizen.
lulz i tried alexa on my phone, "timers are not currently supported on this device"

fucking shit. (dots are still back ordered till feb)

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So I just nabbed an Amazon Echo Dot as a prop for a commercial I'm helping shoot. Anyone find these things useful? Still kinda think it's a little gimmicky.

21st century "The Clapper." We changed the wake word from Alexa to Amazon. Sometimes when we say one of our daughter's names, Emma, it thinks we said "Amazon." So it's either Amazon Lights On/Off or Amazon SHUT THE FUCK UP. The girls like telling it to play music, and it's kinda nice that you can tell it to spell words. Weather report is nice too while you're getting ready in the morning. It's a convenience device that spies on you all the time though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Just tried it on the Home Hub and it was pretty damn sweet. Got 6 timers going at once, with names for each one, and you could see them all counting down, without having any idea how to do it beforehand. Two thumbs up.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
We've bought a lot of appliances in the last few years and they have been universally junk. I'm actually taking my Mom's 3 year old Whirlpool refrigerator to the shop tomorrow. We bought a GE set with a double oven, microwave, and dishwasher 5 years ago when we remodeled her kitchen and the only piece still going is the dishwasher which she hardly uses. We replaced the microwave with a whirlpool and the fucking thing has a circuit board that is sensitive to heat so if the temperature goes above a certain point the fan comes on and CANNOT be turned off except by unplugging the microwave.

Interestingly, my Samsung washer/dryer work great although they're only 5 years old. The steam mode on the washer actually does a much better job on my super dirty jeans than my old top loader did.

I asked a pro appliance repair dude what brands to buy for longevity, his answer was almost everything comes out of the same factories now, they just put different badges on them, he said all appliances are built like shit now, he said even Sub Zero and Viking quality is now in the toilet. His answer was buy cheap and on sale, toss it when it breaks. Fixing anything will cost you half of buying new now.

Thanks China.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Even Samsung or LG?

I would buy Korea before I bought China. But I buy German (Bosch), but they have their own unique maintenance issues. I mostly choose those because of water / power use is lower. Hawaii water bill is massive sewer fees to cover EPA fines from running outdated POS water treatment plants.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My German vehicle (used 2009 VW Jetta Wagon) was a great vehicle, but it's at the point now where it's constantly breaking for... reasons? I'm having to repair it in some way pretty consistently. But it does run very well.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my nephew brought a mini cooper for his wife cuz it was cute, broke down the following week, now they have to share a car. if i wasnt so far away, he coulda had my civic.

fris

Vyemm Raider
my washer is about 10 years old, Sears. shame the company is going tits up. they could probably be successful as a brand and sell through Amazon or other brick and mortar stores.

the washer did stop draining a few months ago. it would spin, but no water leave. so called a guy out, we drained it into buckets together, then he started taking apart. one of my son's tinny socks, just a bit bigger than baby socks, made it's way into the drainage. it got clogged up in the motor thing? he explained it to me like a car's serpentine belt. 1 gear moves everything, so easy to fix and very reliable. he said the sock probably got sucked down due to being overfilled.

he also recommended buying the basic units. no digital buttons, or too many options. there's no magic here. fill w/ water, slosh around, drain. anything else is just asking for a shorter lifetime.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We've had a front loader Kenmore (Sears brand?) For about 10 years and the only issues we've had is the spinny dial is digital and a lot of times doesn't register. Probably needs contact cleaner but I ain't taking it apart for that. Otherwise never broken down. Had a Kenmore drier the same time that cost us about $150 and never had an issue. But that's not digital at all and like two buttons

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive had my kemores for the better part of 20 yrs now, top load. Still going strong. Had to replace some agitator dogs a few times but other than that, shit still runs like a champ. And having 2 kids grow up during that time, well you can see they ran all the fucking time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ive had my kemores for the better part of 20 yrs now, top load. Still going strong. Had to replace some agitator dogs a few times but other than that, shit still runs like a champ. And having 2 kids grow up during that time, well you can see they ran all the fucking time.
that was my one requirement, i wanted it agitator less, you get like .8 more cu/ft w/o that thing, perceived drawback is that now you'll have to use HE detergent, but all detergent is HE formulated anyway.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

all those stacking side loaders you see everywhere made by everyone now all fail at the bearing on the drum. They are seated in plastic and it cracks eventually. Just a new drum assembly not counting the labor to swamp is half the price of the unit, which by then is 7-10 years old. Meanwhile there is a set of Sears top loaders in my Gramps old house from the 70s that still run like a champ, they just use 3X water and electricity.

If I had more room I would buy Huebsch Commercial units that Laundromats use. 1- they are durable as fuck, 2- they are designed for easy service. 3- parts are much cheaper. But you might have to beef up your breaker box to handle them. I really want a Gas dryer, but you need a real plumber for that shit.

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My German vehicle (used 2009 VW Jetta Wagon) was a great vehicle, but it's at the point now where it's constantly breaking for... reasons? I'm having to repair it in some way pretty consistently. But it does run very well.

The problem is it's not a car its a Volkswagon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My 2010 Civic ive had to change the brakes, tires, and finally.alternator. She ain't fancy, but she still gets me to cum

• 1Barf

Kiki

Log Wizard

yeah and don't forget special tools to change the oil filter. Never again.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Special tools for fucking everything. Why do you need to create "Spangle Bits"? Is a Torx really that difficult to work with?

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its simple, they want that shit to be serviced at a volkswagon certified shop. Its the same reason playstations and xboxes resort to weird fucking fasteners that you cannot buy the tools for. So you buy another or take it to a certified shop instead of replacing a common drive or what have you.

• 1Like