The "Shit I just bought" thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What the fuck are you going to do with this? lol
So he can make videos of him melting stuff and put it on youtube.

I always thought it would be a pretty neat hobby. Could make all sort of custom figurines.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL I remember doing that in shop class like 8th grade? Circa 1985ish? I cast 1/2 of a big ass revolver that I molded out of clay. Made an impression on some special sand like above. LOL imagine doing that in school now. Do they even have shop class like we did?

I still have that fucker. My kids found it in the basement one day.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I barely remember playing with these with my dad when I was a kid. I remember him taking us to a big club with a massive slot car track, though. Would love to find one around here.

Random thought - are front-wheel drive slot cars against the rules? My daughter's car sticks to the track like it's glued to it, but mine spins out on the 180d turn. And now she's learning how to talk shit, so she's really pissing me off and I need to find a better car to stomp her ass with.
I remember having it as a kid. My dad had a bunch of cars, I do remember some sucked and some were great. The best one we had was a GT40. The slot car nostalgia is what made me try Anki Overdrive.

Here’s me circa 1986. G.I. joe shirt, giant SR 71 poster on the wall. Not sure what that At The Movies poster with the owls is about. Can see a bunch of cars at the far end and center of the track. Too bad our 80s camera sucked, can’t really see the details.

696DC21B-F320-4B0E-8E50-39DEDD479772.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
What the fuck are you going to do with this? lol
Pretty much what people pasted videos of. Melt down low temp metals (think things under iron/steel) and then cast stuff. This is an extension of my multiple 3d printers, and me hitting a wall where I want to be able to make things out of a more durable/sturdy material than plastic. Here's one example of it being done :

Although I'm think more functional parts than art pieces. This all seems to be scratching the itch which indicates that I'm actually a mountain dwarf and need blacksmith things. I've worked my whole live in Cybersecurity, but for some reason making/working with physical things has this astoundingly rewarding feeling for me. Like when I rebuilt my garage replacing 80% of the studs, resheathing the outside, and doing the inside in MDF with new shelving/storage/etc...
now everyone will deliver their used beer/soda cans to him and he'll be super delighted to melt shit
I already have a few friends/family who are putting their cans to the side and not into the city recycle bin. If I go too far down this rabbit hole I'll end up being one of those people who take all the metal from your bulky trash put out piles. heh I already have around 15 pounds of cans, and 20 scrapped old hard drives (which are mostly aluminum) waiting for me to get time to set up the melting/casting area behind my garage.

And as much as I mention functional parts more than art/toys I will admit there's a part of me that wants to do a lost PLA or sandcasting of this :
1626794507832.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
LOL I remember doing that in shop class like 8th grade? Circa 1985ish? I cast 1/2 of a big ass revolver that I molded out of clay. Made an impression on some special sand like above. LOL imagine doing that in school now. Do they even have shop class like we did?

I still have that fucker. My kids found it in the basement one day.

I remember hanging out in the shop room during lunch, no supervision. We played with Grinders and Stick welders, and used blow torches to toast poptarts. I don't think that shit would fly anymore.

Edit: This was also in 8th grade, not even high school lolol

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I remember hanging out in the shop room during lunch, no supervision. We played with Grinders and Stick welders, and used blow torches to toast poptarts. I don't think that shit would fly anymore.
Same, but I'd use the lathe to launch screwdrivers into the ceiling.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There was a substitute in shop class one day (probably 1994) and she was just sitting in the office and letting everybody fuck around. One kid had a shotgun primer in his pocket and he set it on the anvil and hit it with a hammer. It sounded like a bomb went off, super fucking loud. The substitute came storming out and said "what was that" and he looked her right in the eye and said "I didn't hear anything". She looked around and nobody said anything and you could tell she was furious but she just went back to the office.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Bought a Stihl 250 today to add to my chainsaw collection. Gonna practice carving tomorrow.
Bought a Stihl MS251 just this week.

Also bought an Apple Watch Series 6 (red) during Prime Day ... been waiting for that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just upgraded my old 10 inch Hitachi miter saw with this beast(Bosch GCM12SD):

1629918562798.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'm debating making a completely frivolous purchase right now... this is the problem with being prone to impulse shopping.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I'm debating making a completely frivolous purchase right now... this is the problem with being prone to impulse shopping.

Husband got one of these for us a while back also on an impulse buy, haha. But hey, I'll happily slap a Lady prefix on all my return addresses. The crest ain't too shabby, either.

6C805321-64C9-4F99-BEEC-A739D5C3EC77.jpeg

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finally got tired of hearing the guys at work having a great time with their new sports card obsession and busted out my old comic boxes. But instead of selling a bunch of shit just taking up space (and a few that are probably worth a bit), of course I ended up buying shit instead.

I doubt anyone would remember this, but this is my favorite comic (and cover) of all time. I had it for my avatar for awhile even. I own two copies of it, but they will never grade out this high, and it is just something I want to own. If there were one comic I'd want just to have, this is it. I feel I got a pretty good deal on it, but it is still way too expensive for a fucking comic book.
s-l1600[1].jpg

At the same time I decided upon this one, partially for personal interest and partially for potential investment. I was a huge fan of Angela in the Spawn comics. I hate what I've seen of her in Marvel. But the Marvel comics are the ones worth more money. Well, the variant cover here at least, because of course variant covers exist and cost way too fucking much. By all accounts this actual comic (the series and this issue) are complete dogshit in terms of story, but none of that matters since it is her first Marvel appearance. I also own Spawn #9 where she first appeared ever, but it definitely won't get a 9.8 either. I'm hopeful that she ends up in an MCU movie one day and this skyrockets, but now that I've said it, it will never happen.

s-l1600[1].jpg

There honestly aren't too many comics I care to have a high-grade copy of unless it is for investment purposes beyond the Beta Ray Bill one, so hopefully I won't end up buying too many others, but it is kind of exciting to get a slabbed book in the mail and hold one for the first time, I gotta admit. I think the only other one I might buy at this point that isn't an investment is an X-Men vs. Teen Titans, purely for nostalgia, and because the copy I own (bought new off the stand) has a loose page in the center.

• 1I Came

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lord of Amazon ( aka Lanx Lanx ) - I want something I can plug into the aux port on my TV that let's me connect to audio via Bluetooth. What'chu got for me?
(And tag me so I see the response...)

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lord of Amazon ( aka Lanx Lanx ) - I want something I can plug into the aux port on my TV that let's me connect to audio via Bluetooth. What'chu got for me?
(And tag me so I see the response...)
Bandwagon Bandwagon searching for car aux gives better results
8bb5ed963a68afa51449b5046f58ec17.png

COMSOON [Upgraded] Bluetooth AUX Adapter for Car, Noise Cancelling Bluetooth 5.0 Music Receiver for Home Stereo/Wired Headphones/Hands-Free Calls, 16H Battery Life, Dual Connect-Black+Gray

it's battery powered or just keep a usb c (i chose the one w/ the usb c and not the horrible micro usb shit) connected to the wall

more expensive ones have more battery life, but if youre gonna keep it wall connected, that shouldn't matter.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Bandwagon Bandwagon searching for car aux gives better results
8bb5ed963a68afa51449b5046f58ec17.png

COMSOON [Upgraded] Bluetooth AUX Adapter for Car, Noise Cancelling Bluetooth 5.0 Music Receiver for Home Stereo/Wired Headphones/Hands-Free Calls, 16H Battery Life, Dual Connect-Black+Gray

it's battery powered or just keep a usb c (i chose the one w/ the usb c and not the horrible micro usb shit) connected to the wall

more expensive ones have more battery life, but if youre gonna keep it wall connected, that shouldn't matter.
You're my boy, blue.

• 1Worf