The "Shit I just bought" thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Any dehumidifier suggestions? The old one I had from my dad,~40yrs old finally croaked.

Lanx Lanx ???
ha, i just bought this
ecea5f9d6985e4670bdd54826ee18050.png

cuz my basement kinda flooded and i had to get the humidity out, i have one of those 20$ temp sensor and my basement was at fucking 80%, honestly of course it is oversized, my whole house is barely 2700sq/ft, let alone my basement, but whatever it was "physically" the same dimensions and a few bucks more. everyday it brought the humidity down 10% each day until it equalized at 40%, thats pretty good.

of course i just set it and forget, my main criteria was that it has a garden hose attachment, i just let it drain out to my sump pump. well at first i had it drain out to a 5 gallon bucket, but that got full quick! so it's just directly to the sump pump.

so i guess first is
how much sq ft
do you need garden hose attachment
features (quiet, constant humidity monitoring, etc)

when i was first looking, i wanted something i knew, like maybe winix(i have their humidifiers) or the common whirlpool/fridgidaire, they don't seem to be in this segment
(besides fridgidaire, but they had low ratings)

when i saw all of these dehumidifiers they seemed like rebranded chinese models, all have the same exterior.

but this one works great, and it seems that dehumidifiers are getting sold out too, theres a bunch of "low stock" in walmart etc.

i know it sounds silly, but i would have wanted a wifi enabled one, but they didn't have one with the power.

mine is currently set and forget, i can hear a hum from the 1st floor if i'm by the stairwell, if you want i'll put it on "quiet" mode and see how that feels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Those Blackstone's are the big item in my friends group currently - Probably 6 different couples have recently bought one. I can't wait to buy one... Once I leave my condo...

They are pretty great. All my inlaws have them and they use almost none of them do their basic cooking in their kitchens anymore. Between grills and these things, no need really. Omelets and stirfry (any asian food really) is awesome to make on them. I just got this small one for now, it'll be perfect for camping. I don't have to worry about using pans while out at the camp sites now that I have this and that's pretty awesome.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Oh here’s the pop up camper I got. 2001 Flagstaff, thing is in incredible shape for being almost 20 years old. AC blows super cold, canvas is pristine, no holes or a single patch in the screens. Picked it up for 3k.

The wife, dogs and I are gonna take it out this coming weekend for a night or two to a local state park to test run it. Can’t wait.

D22AA864-5F3E-4DCF-A329-3A608D150BAA.jpeg

01C2B992-006D-47C5-BA56-C77D138F8565.jpeg

242124B5-B323-4C91-B825-2566F155B809.jpeg

E8D8C90F-BEE8-4F2E-AE87-4A35FD35E25A.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Make sure the bearings are greased, and the tires aren't 20 years old.

• 2Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
ha, i just bought this
ecea5f9d6985e4670bdd54826ee18050.png

cuz my basement kinda flooded and i had to get the humidity out, i have one of those 20$ temp sensor and my basement was at fucking 80%, honestly of course it is oversized, my whole house is barely 2700sq/ft, let alone my basement, but whatever it was "physically" the same dimensions and a few bucks more. everyday it brought the humidity down 10% each day until it equalized at 40%, thats pretty good.

of course i just set it and forget, my main criteria was that it has a garden hose attachment, i just let it drain out to my sump pump. well at first i had it drain out to a 5 gallon bucket, but that got full quick! so it's just directly to the sump pump.

so i guess first is
how much sq ft
do you need garden hose attachment
features (quiet, constant humidity monitoring, etc)

when i was first looking, i wanted something i knew, like maybe winix(i have their humidifiers) or the common whirlpool/fridgidaire, they don't seem to be in this segment
(besides fridgidaire, but they had low ratings)

when i saw all of these dehumidifiers they seemed like rebranded chinese models, all have the same exterior.

but this one works great, and it seems that dehumidifiers are getting sold out too, theres a bunch of "low stock" in walmart etc.

i know it sounds silly, but i would have wanted a wifi enabled one, but they didn't have one with the power.

mine is currently set and forget, i can hear a hum from the 1st floor if i'm by the stairwell, if you want i'll put it on "quiet" mode and see how that feels.
I'm going to go with 3ksqft/50pint one. May look into yours and do some comparisons.

Now next question for the nerds here. Thanks to COVID canceling cmaps, virtual coding camps have been loved by my kid (7). Any suggestions on some raspberry pi kits for kids?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm going to go with 3ksqft/50pint one. May look into yours and do some comparisons.

Now next question for the nerds here. Thanks to COVID canceling cmaps, virtual coding camps have been loved by my kid (7). Any suggestions on some raspberry pi kits for kids?
ask the specific thread imo

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this should go here or not, but the last post in the razor thread was 2018. Bought this a few weeks ago for grooming my junk, and it is fucking amazing. Everything else I've tried either scared me to death that I was going to knick something, or was hard to use in all the nooks and crannies. The shape on this thing is perfect for everywhere. I would imagine you could use it just fine on your face too, for the stubble look, but I haven't tried it. Highly recommend, two thumbs high.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if this should go here or not, but the last post in the razor thread was 2018. Bought this a few weeks ago for grooming my junk, and it is fucking amazing. Everything else I've tried either scared me to death that I was going to knick something, or was hard to use in all the nooks and crannies. The shape on this thing is perfect for everywhere. I would imagine you could use it just fine on your face too, for the stubble look, but I haven't tried it. Highly recommend, two thumbs high.

I really like how all the questions on it are am I going to brutalize my junk

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Oh here’s the pop up camper I got. 2001 Flagstaff, thing is in incredible shape for being almost 20 years old. AC blows super cold, canvas is pristine, no holes or a single patch in the screens. Picked it up for 3k.

The wife, dogs and I are gonna take it out this coming weekend for a night or two to a local state park to test run it. Can’t wait.

View attachment 284949

View attachment 284950

View attachment 284951

View attachment 284952

That's in good shape. It looks like it has been used twice...which is probably correct. 95% of the people who get them new park them in front of their houses until the tires rot off.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's in good shape. It looks like it has been used twice...which is probably correct. 95% of the people who get them new park them in front of their houses until the tires rot off.

Yeah I was super pumped when I got it, I dunno how much it's been used, it has it's character sports of ware but all in all it's in much better shape than many I had been looking at.

To your point, I saw some that were 2016's with canves that was already destroyed and had more patches on the screens than original screen material. I can't imaging dropping $15,000+ on a brand new popup to only have it ruined 4 years later or at the very least, in need of $2,000 of recanvasing. Blows my mind. I can't wait to use this thing every weekend I can.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

bought it cuz it was at an all time low of 50bucks

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

Toaster's are impossible to clean.

You think that Crumb tray is removing all the crap that's gotten caked in there over the last X years?

Since I moved out of my parents 15 years ago, I had a simple Oyster, and as far as toasting went, it worked.

Eventually I wanted to get something a little better, so I made the mistake of ponying up for a Cusinart, which worked worse in everyway.

The other week, after severely burning my toast, I took the thing down, and found it was filled with burnt up crap.

Trying to clean it was a nightmare, ended up submerging the thing (yeah I stuck a toaster in water), and took a nozzle to it, let it dry for several days, and did a function test to ensure it wouldn't short, or arc.

It actually worked, and seemed to improve the toaster's quality.

However, it wasn't worth the effort.

There are a lot of toaster options on the market, and 99% of them are functionally the same.

Looking old school 1920 referbs, looking at glass walled toasters, looking at expensive Japanese single toast steamer This Japanese Toaster Costs $270. It Only Makes One Slice at a Time

But all I really wanted was a somewhat reasonably priced toaster, that I could clean without creating a fire hazard.

So far, I will say that it seems to under toast, but I'd rather it under toast, then over toast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
someone go buy a robot mower and let me know what you think ASAP. I gotta make a mower decision in 2 weeks. Araysar Araysar

Or Foler Foler , you impulsive, trust fund bastard!
Pay some dude 30 bucks a week to do it. Foler just spent 100k for his washer/dryer/water heater with no dishwasher to be in a outhouse.

I do have a suggestion for a real nice mower that you can use for ten years though!

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users