The Strain

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The ONLY good thing about last night's episode was mom taking out her own kid. Everything else was written/directed with about as much quality as a film student's first effort.

EDIT: How the fuck is this getting such good review? The dialogue is undeniably horrible, and the characters doing stupid things is legion. The NYT actually rated this show higher than the opening season of GoT. Da Fuq?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This weeks episode was the first one I really regretted watching.

Devlin

Golden Squire
The writing is indeed terrible.

When the 1337 hacker chick says "fuck you all for being pissed at me for fucking up all communications I'm gonna take my chances outside rather than take your light criticism" I just completely rolled my eyes.

In which circumstances does being murdered and turned into one of the living dead take preference over getting told off?

But there really isn't that much choice at the moment and I do like the way they've gone with the vampire mythos.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
Very few positives now in this series:-

Rat Catcher guy
The Vampire Mythos
The ninja Vampires
Old Jewish guy (is okish).
Latino Criminal.
The fact someone mentioned that there are only 13 episodes.

I pretty much want just about everyone else to die, Ephraim should be first. And the writers as well.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The writing is indeed terrible.

When the 1337 hacker chick says "fuck you all for being pissed at me for fucking up all communications I'm gonna take my chances outside rather than take your light criticism" I just completely rolled my eyes.

In which circumstances does being murdered and turned into one of the living dead take preference over getting told off?

But there really isn't that much choice at the moment and I do like the way they've gone with the vampire mythos.
Yeah she should be dead inside 10 minutes. Hopefully she is.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Shes too edgy to be killed by vampires. They are 'whatever' and shes busy hacking the matrix for bitcoins. Only for a good cause though, she wont crash the internets for baddies anymore. Morals and all that.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah she should be dead inside 10 minutes. Hopefully she is.
We're talking about the person whose grand plan for flipping the internets switch back to "ON" was walking in Palmer's front door without any sort of disguise and then immediately drawing attention to herself by staring into a security camera as if she's never seen one before. 10 minute is being extremely generous.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
She'll live and return back to the group.

I don't get why the wife is getting special attention from The Master. I mean WTF. Is she supposed to talk to her ex-husband on the phone, schedule a meet, infiltrate their base, and get away with killing Jewish guy?

Security guy - looks like another form of vampires. Trying to stay neutral, but I hope they team up with the Vampire Hit Squad to unload some serious ass.

I'm not sure how much time has passed since the beginning. They horde will begin to mature after 30 days, and I imagine there will be much more panic then. Will they expand out from NYC or terrorize this one city without any help from the U.S. government? Fully matured vampires vs. National Guard, yes please!

Karloff_sl

shitlord
It really helps if you've read the crappy books, it gives special insight into the suck that's coming. That said I'm watching the show every week on demand so I'm part of the problem.

I think those who've read the books will agree for every decent part of the books there is some mind numbing stupidity. Honestly though I don't remember the hot hacker girl at all from the books
frown.png

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Very few positives now in this series:-

Rat Catcher guy
The Vampire Mythos
The ninja Vampires
Old Jewish guy (is okish).
Latino Criminal.
The fact someone mentioned that there are only 13 episodes.

I pretty much want just about everyone else to die, Ephraim should be first. And the writers as well.
Even the more tolerable characters like the Ukrainian pest control guy and the old Armenian Jew have irritating qualities. The old guy has that William Shatner speech pattern and the exterminator's accent fluctuates between Ukrainian and Jersey.

Are the books this campy and ridiculous? The characters are the dumbest I've ever seen on a television show.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
The books are played straight, I don't remember any inherent campiness though CDC doc and his family is terrible both in the books as the show, so there is that.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The books are played straight, I don't remember any inherent campiness though CDC doc and his family is terrible both in the books as the show, so there is that.
Dude, I just read the synopsis of the 2nd and 3rd books and I don't see how it's possible to call them anything but campy based on where the story goes.

Nuclear "blackout the sun" holocaust? Really?

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Dude, I just read the synopsis of the 2nd and 3rd books and I don't see how it's possible to call them anything but campy based on where the story goes.

Nuclear "blackout the sun" holocaust? Really?
The books are written as a straight vampire horror series, I think camp and Flash Gordon comes to mind ( and I love Flash Gordon ) , it may sound campy and may come across as campy but the books are not meant to be campy.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If the books were campy at least they'd be somewhat amusing then. I could barely finish the first one, it was so fucking boring.

I don't remember the hacker chick being in the book at all either. Nor was the vampire hit squad, although people say they are from the subsequent books. I particularly enjoyed someone's paraphrasing of Del Toro's where he said the one hit squad guy was so deep and interesting that he considered pitching a spinoff for him. Based on the first book, they couldn't make anything even remotely interesting, let alone "deep" enough to carry an entire show. I think that's just a case of people jacking him off because of who he is, and him believing it.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Good to see the Dr's son is as stupid as his father

At this point I'm pretty much in it for Rat catcher. When he almost got caught in the tunnel I was ready to quit watching the show but thankfully he lived. That smile after he threw the light bomb cracked me up.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nora's mom is the worst character. She just needs to fucking die.

Also, at this point why did the two teenagers in the convenience store not realize the girl in the back was infected? I would think at this stage any regular person could identify someone was infected (or at least figure out why there was all the rioting and looting going on... society crumbling and all that). But yeah, the son is an idiot. Don't listen to crazy ass Grandma's demands.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Thought for sure the grandma was gonna have one of those guns off the wall and blow her brains out. Alas...

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm officially at the point where I stop watching the show but still read this thread. I got to the same place with TWD and enjoyed my life much more as a result. Keep entertaining me bros.