The struggle is real

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Would have preferred a "luckily I make 750k so I'm considered at least middle class"

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
How is waking up early enough that i have an hour in case things go wrong giving my employer ab hour of unpaid overtime?

Even if i got to work an hour early (i am generally there 10 to 15 minutes early) how is that a big fucking deal?

Jesus. Maybe putting in a little bit of extra effort is the reason i went from level 1 tech to director in a year

Getting to work an hour early every day is a pretty big deal. That's like 250 hours of unpaid overtime you're giving your boss every year. If you spent those hours sleeping you'd have another hour to do whatever you wanted the day before. 10-15 minutes isn't a big deal, but the point here is being 15 minutes late to work a half-dozen times a year isn't a big deal either. You shouldn't be expected to give up 250 hours of your life to save your employer 90 minutes for those times that small shit happens.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Zog Zog can you uber it out on the mean time?

And if you cant, what about your wife, can you use her for this?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't miss jobs where I had to be to work at a specific time. Pretty much can show up any time between 8 and 10. Get your shit done and be here mostly when other people are here so they can ask you about shit.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I worked from home for a year. Still showed up late most days.

That shit is no bueno. I would go 7-10 days at a time seeing no one but my wife, baby and drive through attendants.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Getting to work an hour early every day is a pretty big deal. That's like 250 hours of unpaid overtime you're giving your boss every year. If you spent those hours sleeping you'd have another hour to do whatever you wanted the day before. 10-15 minutes isn't a big deal, but the point here is being 15 minutes late to work a half-dozen times a year isn't a big deal either. You shouldn't be expected to give up 250 hours of your life to save your employer 90 minutes for those times that small shit happens.

I never said I got to work an hour early.

I said I get up at such a time where I have an hour of spare time in the mornings. I also make sure to do a quick look at my car, check the traffic, etc. Everything looking good? See leeway cig/coffee moment. Waking up each morning where you barely have enough time to get ready and out the door is just goddamn stupid.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I know a guy who went from tech 1 to director in six months for a medium size school district. Pretty sweet for him, but lost all respect for him once he started talking about how they have to drive around a lot because they can't afford to implement a remote solution... Pretty pathetic when someone doesn't know how to utilize Group Policy and RDP, or sign up for a free ScreenConnect account, but I'm sure he felt entitled to the position. Point being effort can mean a lot of things. Going from tech 1 with zero experience to director in a year makes for an inexperienced director who put a lot of "effort" into playing politics and greasing the right knobs.

Since this seems pretty directed at me; I got hired on as a level 1 tech after being laid off for six months with 8 years of industry experience. I took what I could get.

I since worked hard, developed revenue streams for the company (MSP services, etc.) and made my mark. I put in the extra effort.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Jesus this thread is rough.

Ok Zog Zog look up the state's eviction laws because most states are super tenant friendly and unless the landlord has delivered a properly filled out eviction notice and taped it to your door you still have time.

Most states give 30 days to evict from that day and a lot of other ones let you appeal for extra time etc etc.

It's illegal to change locks etc.

I used to evict people people with my father when I was young and people have a lot more rights than they know.

Consider this a life lesson about working under the table labor because if they are scummy enough to hire you they are scummy enough to fuck you over.

Reading your posts you obviously sound young and kind of stupid, Stop blaming everyone else and fix your shit.

Oh and @Gunnar you sound like a working class blue state democrat union dick sucker, who the fuck gets that indignant over UNIONS in 2017. Get a life.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

You don't work in a trade, do you? Or blue collar anything, for that matter?

You can't be late half a dozen times a year, or you're fired. Simple as that. Not everyone has an office job where they can show up whenever and leave whenever and get paid whatever for whenever amount of hours. A lot of people are punching a clock, like our OP here. Management expects you to be at work on time, and while some employers are better than others about being flexible about that, you should still be at work on time.

Yeah, I get that the office environment is laid back, and you can roll in any time between 7 and 9 and get your work done and nobody cares as long as you put in an 8 hour day, but there are a lot of places out there where that just isn't the case, and you are to be at work, ready to work from 7-3:30 or 8 to 4:30 or whatever, and going outside of that isn't really acceptable.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Doesn't anyone base stuff on Lombardi Time anymore? My wife and I do still and end up missing traffic and being "early" to everything, giving us an overall lower stress life.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late. If you're late, you're forgotten.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
even if he got himself into the situation, we could be a bit nicer to the guy, fuck.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
You don't work in a trade, do you? Or blue collar anything, for that matter?

You can't be late half a dozen times a year, or you're fired. Simple as that. Not everyone has an office job where they can show up whenever and leave whenever and get paid whatever for whenever amount of hours. A lot of people are punching a clock, like our OP here. Management expects you to be at work on time, and while some employers are better than others about being flexible about that, you should still be at work on time.

Yeah, I get that the office environment is laid back, and you can roll in any time between 7 and 9 and get your work done and nobody cares as long as you put in an 8 hour day, but there are a lot of places out there where that just isn't the case, and you are to be at work, ready to work from 7-3:30 or 8 to 4:30 or whatever, and going outside of that isn't really acceptable.

My job is hourly, I'm not on salary. They still don't care if you're a few minutes late a few times a year. I can't even imagine how an employer can be that anal about it unless it's something like where it's mandated that a certain number of people are on duty at all times and you being late means someone else has to stay.