The Suicide Squad (2021)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Which crazy ass wiki did you search for? Was it a Bing result or something? At worst they have thrown in a line about Ivy giving her immunity to her toxins in a few depictions.

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean it's better than a lot of the other DC movies, but that's a real low bar to hurdle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

Which crazy ass wiki did you search for? Was it a Bing result or something? At worst they have thrown in a line about Ivy giving her immunity to her toxins in a few depictions.
dccomics.com has her listed with superhuman agility, enhanced strength, intelligence, immunity to toxins

wikipedia
1628456835106.png

one site said she could lift around 1500lbs and jump a 15' fence with ease

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the only thing that makes sense for harley is that she's sort of like dc's deadpool behavior wise. make her know that she's just a comic book/cartoon character and run with it. she already has the acme powers of pulling giant mallets out of nowhere.

Kiki

Log Wizard
It was a better movie than most of them. It had the R rated stuff going, a dick and a titty, so I think that's a good step forward, but holy god was it predictable, especially the end. Also they killed off the best character,
polka dot man

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

dccomics.com has her listed with superhuman agility, enhanced strength, intelligence, immunity to toxins

wikipedia
View attachment 366020
one site said she could lift around 1500lbs and jump a 15' fence with ease
Looks like most of the weirder stuff was one-off from 1999. When they updated Joker to get a toxic chemical dip rather than bleach her meta-level upgrade came from the same stuff.

Last edited:

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Personally, I'd like to see a darker Harley. Margot is way too over the top, and she's just not interesting.

One gripe about this film for me: These are supposed to be Super Villians, but they were waaaayyyy too Good Natured and likeable.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed this whole movie beginning to end. I think the first one being so awful really helped this one be a lot better and funnier. Gunn really tried his best to go for a GotG feel.

Weasel so was fucking creepy it was great. Cena had a lot of great jokes.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Suicide Squad / Task Force X has always been more about the street-level villains and/or mercs. Heavily mined from the rogues gallery of Batman and the Flash rather than large scale overarching threats. These are villains and many of them have powers/abilities but they aren't supervillains.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Personally, I'd like to see a darker Harley. Margot is way too over the top, and she's just not interesting.

One gripe about this film for me: These are supposed to be Super Villians, but they were waaaayyyy too Good Natured and likeable.
There are no rules anymore. Fuck canon, I guess. These are barely anti-heroes, most of them. James Gunn makes good/interesting movies. This was way better than most DC films. Or at least more interesting. I get that its cool to hate America but that is so played out; America is just straight up the bad guy? And the only really villain on the team is the sociopath who is supposed to be the Cap-ish analogue? I get that's the "joke" but it feels kind of on the nose in this movie. Anyway.

I for one was shocked by the opener. I mean, why bother? At least they made the most of the cameos which were obviously cameos. Some day, Nathan Fillion, some day. As far as Grrl Pwr! goes, I don 't care what they do with Harley. It's so far beyond what it's supposed to be it doesn't matter that from her perspective that she's sees flowers and birds (see the "Fuck canon" comment, at least from the DC movie makers perspective. I was hoping for a "Song of the South" parody but one can dream). At least it was interesting visually. Margo Robbie is still stunningly beautiful; at least DC hasn't gone body positive in their Grrl Pwr. Yet. I hate the some of the characters' fates being so non-canon, too. It seems basically like they are race-swapping leads I like both actors very much I guess this is another outcome of Fuck Canon.

Polka Dot man was interesting, the attack on the camp was interesting if not expected (counting the women I knew something was up), The shotgun physics in the truck escape: Interesting Troma effect, I guess.

Starro was OK, why would a starfish looking alien care about a city?

I thought there was too much back and forth once they got to the location of the final act. So much of that could have been trimmed. Overall, I think I agree with the earlier comments about DC letting James Gunn's Troma instincts run wild, and that indulgence cost the movie at least a point. I rate it a 7/10. I mean, I didn't mind watching it , I liked it but all of the falling floors business, and so much gratuitous gore, I mean just for gore's sake, and I am glad to I got to see it for double free (HBO Max for free too). Marvel process control would have made this an 8.5 but would have balked at the whole subject. There is a lot of good but it adds up to less overall than the sum of its individual parts. Meh+, which is a 7. And now we get a Peacekeeper series, so one of the least interesting characters from a movie about expendables lives. /sigh. One beach full of dicks jokes I saw in a preview and a chuckle about killing a woman in an office and then we get more of Xinhua Cena? /sigh a deux.

Fake Edit: Daniela Melchior (ratcatcher 2) makes me wish I had dated more Portuguese women. My goodness.
Real Edit: King Shark is such an obvious effort to have comedy Hulk that eats people ala James Gunn's and this movie's sensibilities.

Last edited:

Malakriss

The studio so far has not disclosed streaming viewership numbers for its 2021 slate of films, including the DC Cinematic Universe tentpole. However, HBO Max chief Andy Forssell revealed Sunday that Suicide Squad boasted the second-most viewed opening of any film premiering day-and-date on HBO Max. Sources say Mortal Kombat is No. 1, although no one is certain of the viewership tally.

• 1Like

Caliane

apparently she got some powers from poison ivy, has shown beyond human strength, agility, speed, stamina, durability and healing. don't know if that all came from poison ivy or not. wiki also has her with genius iq, underwater breathing, and immuity to all toxins and diseases.
Immunity to poisons and toxins is specifically Ivy doing tests on her.

The super strength etc, is just alluded to, from time to time. Its only been directly asserted once or twice. one was an alt Earth.
During, Convergance, one of the Alt earths that was Bottled by Brainiac. the Bottling, turns off superpowers of the inhabitants. when Bottled, that Harley regained some sanity, and lost the ability to pick up her giant mallet.

She can pick up that giant mallet and swing it. takes more damage then any normal human should, etc. Survived all sorts of shit, she has no business to. it is generally accepted she does have some small level of metahuman powers. never quantified, but she is significantly stronger and more durable, then a women of her size should be.

Sanity level varies by writer, canon. Sometimes shes just personality disorder. occasionally, she actually has hallucinations, and full psychosis.
Early life, also varies. Dini had her sleep through college, and fuck her teachers for her degree. but he also had batgirl fuck batman, and get an abortion, so, fuck him sometimes. I'm def on board with Harley earned her degree. it's much more poignant if Harley was a normal person before Joker got his hands on her, then if she was a total fuckup right from the get go.
In canon, her dad was a thug, and got sent to prison. she had 3 brothers. her mom raised her. and she was a bit of a violent helion as a kid. (her fam is still alive, although her mom died of cancer last year.)

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started this yesterday. Will finish it eventually, maybe.

Gunn's style is getting old though, and the acting is a bit forced. Just not a good movie.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My standards are pretty low these days. It didn’t have any woke garbage, it had super retards, and it had gore, so it’s like an auto 7/10 for the COVID era of film.

IMHO biggest annoyance is that Harley seemed out of character and too "normal". She comes off as more of a quirky heroine in this movie more than a murderous psychopath.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I get that they have to push Harley as shes the only female DC has other than Wonder Woman. Literally their shit comics have zero interesting women. But I do agree they have gone way too deep into Harley across the board and need to just fucking bite the bullet and try to build up C level female. SHould have brought back the asian chick with the sword that eats souls or whatever

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I get that they have to push Harley as shes the only female DC has other than Wonder Woman. Literally their shit comics have zero interesting women. But I do agree they have gone way too deep into Harley across the board and need to just fucking bite the bullet and try to build up C level female. SHould have brought back the asian chick with the sword that eats souls or whatever
the CW took all the female C list DC heroes and turned them into shit. well cept Stargirl. she's a smoking little number.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't think dc even has fucking asians in their comics, heck even aside from token blackie cyborg whose main job is to defend the base and jon stewart, whose else is there really besides ras al ghul?

hell i googled just to make sure
a550953e8ff993807c6f230748310bbc.jpg

i guess... zatanna? wtf is she a white girl or a gypsy and even if she is a gypsy thats just slang for homeless white ppl

• 1EyeRoll