The Umbrella Academy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
4.10 star(s) Rating: 4.10/5 10 Votes
Title: The Umbrella Academy

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2019-02-15

Creator: Steve Blackman

Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper, Robert Sheehan, Mary J. Blige, Emmy Raver-Lampman, David Castañeda, Aidan Gallagher, Cameron Britton

Overview: A dysfunctional family of superheroes comes together to solve the mystery of their father's death, the threat of the apocalypse and more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff

I've not read what this is based on, but you have my attention Mr. Netflix.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The creator has done production for Legion, Fargo, The Outsiders, and Altered Carbon. Not a bad bit of work behind him.

Unsure about Blige, but the rest of the cast looks good. Happy to see Billy from Black Sails in something new.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I watched the trailer with sound off because my kid is asleep next to me. Visually, it looks acceptable.
I noticed that they counted the "new" members. #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then 7. There's no #6. I assume this is going to be the plot of the season. Who killed #6, or why are they in hiding or something.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Trailer heavily features music. Its neither violin music or My Chemical Romance, but Tiffany instead. ouch.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I am cautiously optimistic for this.... I read an article that described it as "Wes Anderson's X-men"

• 1Like

Caliane

A remixed, slightly darker version of a Tiffany Song though.

Looks cool.
just fyi,
Gerard Way is the creator of The Umbrella Academy. And, a Violinist is a huge part of the plot of the first series, which this is focused on. Its called "the Apocalypse Suite" for a reason.
I am cautiously optimistic for this.... I read an article that described it as "Wes Anderson's X-men"
That would be pretty apt for the comic book. so yeah.

• 2Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Ah OK, did not know that. Hopefully that will be corrected in the show then.

Caliane

that trailer makes it look like it follows the storyline pretty closely.

Caliane

This is out.

So far so good. Fairly close to comics.
Episode 8 atm. It does seem to be veering pretty far with Vanya atm though. discussing or commenting on it would be pretty heavy spoiler territory though.
Also, I suppose alot added. I mean the main comic was only like 4 issues. so, shit got real faster.

I double checked for remembering.
The original volume "The apocalypse Suite" was 6 issues. Things happen MUCH faster. This is all the stuff with space boy, Rumor, Diego, Vanya, Pogo, mom and the Apocalypse.

The Seance stuff, with Hazel and Cha-Cha, and the time travel agency is from the second volume, and sequel, "Dallas". So the timelines of these two smashed together.

I can't tell if the Vanya changes make her more or less sympathetic. The main antagonist is changed completely. I guess the comic version is too cartoonish?
And looking at the netflix headers for episodes it looks like they completely fucked up her iconic design... I hope thats not true.. but not quite there yet.

I guess spoiler on it. Comic version she is just straight up kidnapped, tortured, and brainwashed by a cult of musicians, after telling them to fuck off. no training montage, no real manipulation.

Last edited:

Caliane

Finishing up. thoughts on finale. really weak.
Like said, most of the stuff is right out of the comics.. Except the core parts of the story involving Vayna. making half of the finale stupid..

took some of the stuff mentioned in spoiler, and moved here to give more thoughts.
nope def less sympathetic. TV version of Rumor getting her throat cut was WAY too early in Vanya losing her shit. tv version is basically just a school shooter. comic version was brainwashed/mindcontrolled.

Also bizarrely much less/no focus on her powers being Music. Comic version, she is 100% using the violin to play music. Cuts Rumors throat with a note. Its not telekinesis.

They totally removed the graphic kills from her. yet, have seance rip people apart. fucking odd choice. Comic Vanya blows Pogos' brains out graphically with again, and stroke of the Violin. The conductor, who brainwashes her, gets cut in half skull to groin while clapping giddily. not the lame ass begging to not kill him, from stalker boyfriend, while she uses TK to throw glass at him..

Also her look, while ridiculous... is also a million times more iconic.
The_Apocalypse_Suite_TPB.jpg

umbrella-academy-gabriel-ba-dave-stewart.jpg

str2_wow0910umbrella_vanya_cn.jpg

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched this over 2 days. It was perfectly fine. Wouldn't be my recommendation for best show of the century or anything but was enjoyable enough to watch.

Never read the comics and came in with no expectations.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Watched this over 2 days. It was perfectly fine. Wouldn't be my recommendation for best show of the century or anything but was enjoyable enough to watch.

Never read the comics and came in with no expectations.

I am about 8 episodes in. So far it's been watchable, but nothing super exciting. I liked the vibe of the first Doom Patrol episode more than I did the first few episodes of this.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't know anything about the comics but I really liked the first episode.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Its like Netflix version of Eragon as far as the quality of the writing. My wife and child are 7 episodes in and man, they could have done everything so far in 2 episodes and it wouldn't have felt rushed.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database