The Walking Dead

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
But then I can fire right back that the TV show showed Carol execution style killing a child

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
but they didnt actually show that happen, did they? anyway, im not a a reader of the walking dead comic, but all the panels i have seen posted here have more fucked stuff up being shown than what is shown on TV. the point i was making is that you can get away with being grittier on the comic book because you have a smaller audience who buy your comics because it is so gruesome. people tune into the walking dead for various reasons. not the least of which is chicks who want to watch a soap opera while pretending to give a shit about what their husband is watching. a woman can easily indentify with that girly man running through the woods, screaming "help me help me, im about to be eaten by zombies!!" than they could somebody like daryl who wrecks shit up.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Seeing how everyone on the roof with their high powered rifles had Stormtrooper aim they should have plenty to be concerned about
They wereintentionallymissing them. They even went out of their way to say as much in the show.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its as if people just have the show on in the background while doing very demanding tasks in the foreground because they are afraid if they actually watch the show they might like it and "lol, u must b dum u lik walking dead".

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I figured by now everyone knew that The Walking Dead comic and show are both not really about zombies at this point...

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, people complaining about the show being a soap opera should stick to their guns and stop watching the show. Darabont clearly intended the comic/show to be about PEOPLE in a post-apocalyptic zombie setting and not about the zombies themselves. Even the name, The Walking Dead, is referring to the living people, not the zombies.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, people complaining about the show being a soap opera should stick to their guns and stop watching the show. Darabont clearly intended the comic/show to be about PEOPLE in a post-apocalyptic zombie setting and not about the zombies themselves. Even the name, The Walking Dead, is referring to the living people, not the zombies.
Yet every episode we get some overly contrived, stupid zombie encounter. You can make this argument all you want, and it's certainly how I wish the show played out, but it just isn't the case.

What if this show had the same acting quality and thoughtful writing of say, Mad Men? How incredible would that be.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
but they didnt actually show that happen, did they? anyway, im not a a reader of the walking dead comic, but all the panels i have seen posted here have more fucked stuff up being shown than what is shown on TV. the point i was making is that you can get away with being grittier on the comic book because you have a smaller audience who buy your comics because it is so gruesome. people tune into the walking dead for various reasons. not the least of which is chicks who want to watch a soap opera while pretending to give a shit about what their husband is watching. a woman can easily indentify with that girly man running through the woods, screaming "help me help me, im about to be eaten by zombies!!" than they could somebody like daryl who wrecks shit up.
And they didn't show Carl killing the comic equivalent, either. They didn't even really show the baby die just some lines to denote an explosion was happening with the baby in arms. It wasn't really that "brutal" a scene.

IMO the most brutal scene in the comics was Carl getting his eye socket shot out and Negan caving in Glen's skull

Fingz_sl

shitlord
I don't expect a whole lot out of a show about the zombie apocalypse based on a comic book.

Like 3 million more people watched this season's finally than last season's so the show is obviously resonating with people. I agree that it's the character development that gets people to watch and not the zombies. This is true with all genre fiction.

To nit pick a show about the zombie apocalypse seems silly.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To nit pick a show about the zombie apocalypse seems silly.
I see this opinion a lot and it gets stupider every time. We're on a message board, should we just circlejerk over how cool the show is? You discuss things, and there's plenty of shit in this show to discuss in a negative light. You don't just excuse the stupid shit because "HERPDERP ZOMBIE SHOW!".

Conversely you don't come and post about how stupid the stupid show is and that it's the last straw for you=P It's 4 seasons in to being retarded, did you think it was going to turn in to The Sopranos all of the sudden? You knew what you were getting in to.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Like 3 million more people watched this season's finally than last season's so the show is obviously resonating with people.
Well, you also have to remember that playing catch-up with shows that are still running is a hell of a lot easier now a days than it was even ten years ago. You've got on demand services from most cable and satellite providers, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and so on. Prior to all those services people would have had to buy or borrow dvd box sets. Now they can click their remote a couple times and catch up at their leisure.

That probably contributed a ton to TWD continual ratings climb. Loads of people have been hearing for years that it was a good series, so they're finally getting around to catching up and becoming regular viewers.

Goatface

season 5 promo teaser poster

2SI7IAN.jpg

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yet every episode we get some overly contrived, stupid zombie encounter. You can make this argument all you want, and it's certainly how I wish the show played out, but it just isn't the case.

What if this show had the same acting quality and thoughtful writing of say, Mad Men? How incredible would that be.
I agree the show has some stupid, overly contrived zombie encounters. Those are the scenes I usually like to nitpick as they are often unneeded and/or could have been shot so much better. But having a few of these scenes doesn't take the whole main focus of the show off the people. And to be fair, they don't even need to have zombies in it for it to be poorly written and overly contrived. The finale was the worst episode of season 3.5 by far and it was because of that stupid, overly contrived "We had no idea you were coming, you just popped in on us, and yet we are going to use hundreds of bullets in a zombie apocalypse and have everyone perfectly positioned to herd you into this one spot after you kill one of our people while you have guys with rifles pointed at you from every which direction and you're out in the open."

Cybsled

Seeing how everyone on the roof with their high powered rifles had Stormtrooper aim they should have plenty to be concerned about
They weren't trying to shoot them. Michonne even says this when they get forced into that candle cult room.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The reason it's confusing is because they're apparently such expert shots they've practices shooting mere feet from their food source as they're running to herd them into position, but are inept in pretty much every other way.

This is the continual problem with the show. We can't take the serious things serious because overall it's a huge melodramatic poorly contrived crock of shit. If a show makes any amount of logical fucking sense you don't have to have characters reading dialog that lets the reader in on things that should be self-evident, like that they were shooting at their feet to herd them, which is fucking retarded anyhow, not at all believable, and in the context of the episode a pile of bull shit. And the defense of 'but a character read a line explaining the situation' should be enough proof it was a load of shit.

Guys, quick, the intruders we gave weapons back to just went rogue... shoot at their feet to guide them on a route through all the context clues explaining the existence of Terminus so the episode makes more sense to our dumb viewers!