The Walking Dead

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
There's plenty of nitpicking of the scene with them being herded.

But I reckon it was done in that way more as a creative choice. To be a real time experience.

It was supposed to be a thing where the audience are with them ( the characters ) through it, and experience it in the same way, so at the start, the first shots go off, and we all felt the same confusion and shock*. It's like "Oh shit, impulse reaction of move that way!" Then rushing, some more shots, that way's safer, the idea is that audience will work out the truth of itas the characterswork it out once things get clearer and the herding more obvious. As we did hear one of them straight out say it.

*Yeah I knew writing this that a bunch of guys right here are going to be "Well I thought it was all real obvious at the start, so then that shit was all wasted". You well good for you! But the show is made for a bigger audience and they have to cover most of the lump in the bell curve, not just the super-aware.

So after that, then the problem with doing a scene that way is that when you look back at it afterwards then yes you can easily find holes in the logic.

But they've got to mix it up, if every scene was done in a solid and concrete way then the show would feel flat and really monotone.

So that's my 2 cents on the matter.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
1) Zombies eat animals.
Sometimes? Just more detail inconsistency. We definitely see the horse Rick rides into Atlanta on eaten. That dog whoever we haven't met yet that was used to lure Daryl and Beth seemed to not be part of the menu.

Oldbased

> Than U
Well duh. Wrong continent. American zombies will eat horses, but not much for dog meat like Asian zombies. Zombies have standards too you know.

Cybsled

Sometimes? Just more detail inconsistency. We definitely see the horse Rick rides into Atlanta on eaten. That dog whoever we haven't met yet that was used to lure Daryl and Beth seemed to not be part of the menu.
They have to catch the animal. That dog was clearly capable of running, so unless it fucked up big time, it would be fine.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
They have to catch the animal. That dog was clearly capable of running, so unless it fucked up big time, it would be fine.
Dogs, with their heightened sense of hearing, can also hear the loud moans and groans of zombies that humans can't hear, particularly when it's dark or walking backwards. Since the silent zombie stalking spell only works on humans as dog's have hear-zombie as a racial trait.

Reminds me. Why haven't we nitpicked the scene where it's night, quiet, Rick and Michone here something in the woods around them, only to dismiss the sound because based on their collective history and the world they now live in why would they show anything but passing concern.... only to find the zombies have apparently taught their silent stalking skills to a band of murderers who are suddenly right on top of them.

Is it just because the scene ended up pretty good that we forgive the only way the scene existed is yet another instance of something completely contrived? Could the scene have been good and come about in a way that was also good, or at least plausible, or at the very least not yet another example of TWD's trademarked 'person is inexplicably, irrationally dumb' mechanic to advance the plot/action.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Daryl's introduction to the show in season 1 includes a scene where a walker is eating a dead deer and they debate over whether or not it's still safe to eat if they cut around what the zombie ate. In season 2 when they are looking for Sophia I believe there is a scene where they cut open a zombie and find squirrel in its stomach. Hershel had problems with zombies eating his cows. Herschel's family fed live chickens to their friends and family walkers. The rats at the prison.

For all of the valid criticisms of the show, this isn't one of them.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I can't for the life of me figure out why any of you think that scene was good. It was shit. Everything got dragged out too long, and even ignoring stupid tropes, everything about it was fucking retarded. Rick headbutts the guy, guy stands there for a loooong time, holding his fucking mouth like some sissy girl, instead of a tough-as-nails redneck (as he's been portrayed) with a gun in his hand, who's tracked you down for days to kill you. While Rick stands there dazed, yeah, I get the fact that the gunshot made your ears ring, but this is a life or death situation for yourself and everyone you care about in the world. Carl is in the truck, where's his gun? He loves that gun and loves any excuse to use it. Guy holding gun on Michonne stands there gaping so that she can shoot him with his own gun. Guy has a hostage, throws hostage away. It was a shit scene and it was shot shitty too. There's no sense of speed or urgency, it's like we're watching in slow motion, but it's not.

Did ya'll think it was a good scene cause Rick violently killed a couple people? Big deal.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Daryl's introduction to the show in season 1 includes a scene where a walker is eating a dead deer and they debate over whether or not it's still safe to eat if they cut around what the zombie ate. In season 2 when they are looking for Sophia I believe there is a scene where they cut open a zombie and find squirrel in its stomach. Hershel had problems with zombies eating his cows. Herschel's family fed live chickens to their friends and family walkers. The rats at the prison.

For all of the valid criticisms of the show, this isn't one of them.
I just thought Daryl hears the dog at the door when all the zombies show up at the funeral parlor. I might be remembering wrong. If I'm right it's just more inconsistency which is nothing new. You're right though it's not something to fret over.

Fedor

<Banned>
Did ya'll think it was a good scene cause Rick violently killed a couple people? Big deal.
That's exactly why people thought the scene was good and also why people still watch this retarded show.

ibybqVDyWo5u7Z.gif

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
In relation to the rest of the show, yeah...Rick biting someones throat out is a highlight.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Which is then ruined instantly by having the redneck fall back and die helplessly. I know speed of demise is a fucking trope, but they could have at least had him fire a couple of wild shots that missed Rick. And in any case, I'd call that an action, not a scene. I much preferred the evisceration of the carl-raper.

Cybsled

I'm pretty sure a ruptured jug will result in death pretty fast since that is basically your brain's lifeline. And ya, when you're surprised and dying, you are always 100% rational and are able to squeeze off some revenge rounds without fail.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You're "pretty sure"? How exactly? It's not your "lifeline". Your blood carries oxygen to your brain. If that flow is cut off completely, you do not die instantly. Your brain typically has to be deprived of oxygen for 20-30 seconds, at least, for you to fall unconscious, and then a further couple minutes to bleed to death. Like I said, it's a trope, so whatever.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah Raes, you are basically trying to solve one tv trope by inserting another. it doesnt matter, the point was rick is no longer randy marsh/farmer rick anymore. he is back to being a semi badass. the man that daryl fell in love with.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I know. It's just that it would be SO DAMN EASY to improve these scenes with the most minor of tweaks. Instead of carl-raper throwing away his hostage, have Carl elbow him in the nuts and get away from him. When Rick bites redneck, have redneck stagger back a little and squeeze off a shot, and when he tries to aim better with the second shot Rick steps in and takes the gun and cracks him in the face with it. It ain't rocket science.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm pretty sure a ruptured jug will result in death pretty fast since that is basically your brain's lifeline. And ya, when you're surprised and dying, you are always 100% rational and are able to squeeze off some revenge rounds without fail.
Been surprised and dying a lot lately, have you?