The Walking Dead

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
at least the show has course corrected a little with abraham and glenn being killed

im not a comic book reader either.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Intense, makes up for the cliff-hanger drama they left with at the end of last season. The whole episode illustrated perfectly how you surgically break down a man to where he's got nothing left. I really thought he was going to chop his arm off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
To each their own. Don't watch the Kardashians but I don't aim to be that weirded out by TV shows. Way too over the top for my tastes. Jefferey Dean Morgan is and was brilliant for sure, but yeah the lingering for so long on those deaths was just way too disturbing for me. With that said, I would imagine the show is moving more towards what the comic book fans love about it, so that's all good. I just really did prefer when it was Rick and his band of southern hicks versus zombies, but I knew there was absolutely no staying power to that formula so it was only a matter of time. I just wish they hadn't absolutely ruined two of my favorite characters and did this stupid cliffhanger to cap off my time with the show though.

Cybsled

To each their own. Don't watch the Kardashians but I don't aim to be that weirded out by TV shows. Way too over the top for my tastes. Jefferey Dean Morgan is and was brilliant for sure, but yeah the lingering for so long on those deaths was just way too disturbing for me. With that said, I would imagine the show is moving more towards what the comic book fans love about it, so that's all good. I just really did prefer when it was Rick and his band of southern hicks versus zombies, but I knew there was absolutely no staying power to that formula so it was only a matter of time. I just wish they hadn't absolutely ruined two of my favorite characters and did this stupid cliffhanger to cap off my time with the show though.

They had to make it disturbing, though, to maximize the impact to the audience. If you think about it, the show was trying to break the audience like Rick got broken. By the time the Carl part rolled around, you totally bought into the idea that he was really going to have to go through with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
They had to make it disturbing, though, to maximize the impact to the audience. If you think about it, the show was trying to break the audience like Rick got broken. By the time the Carl part rolled around, you totally bought into the idea that he was really going to have to go through with it.

I completely see that point and understand it. I just really don't want to willingly subject myself to it, so they sure as fuck broke me, lol. This is not a call for the show to get canceled, or for people to feel guilty for enjoying it. It is just too brutal for me personally, and I'll just stick to Westworld for my Sunday night entertainment.

• 1Like

Ladro

Anomaly
I completely see that point and understand it. I just really don't want to willingly subject myself to it, so they sure as fuck broke me, lol. This is not a call for the show to get canceled, or for people to feel guilty for enjoying it. It is just too brutal for me personally, and I'll just stick to Westworld for my Sunday night entertainment.

The scene with Glen was almost frame for frame the same as it was in the comic. It's a brutal fucking comic so they brought that shit back in the most epic way. The show sort of lost its street cred over the years but with the Negan and Ezekiel story lines coming into the show they have an opportunity to crank it up quite a bit. Very happy with last nights episode even though it was extremely hard to watch.

• 1Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
That "episode" should have been condensed into 3 min at the end of the last season. Instead we got an hour wasted with boring emo drama. *queue horribly tacky piano music for an hour and constant close ups of Rick's stupid face*

Last season had the perfect build up with the RV and the roadblocks. They should have shown the kills then when it actually fucking mattered. I had zero emotional investment watching last night. It was boring as shit.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
That "episode" should have been condensed into 3 min at the end of the last season. Instead we got an hour wasted with boring emo drama. *queue horribly tacky piano music for an hour and constant close ups of Rick's stupid face*

Last season had the perfect build up with the RV and the roadblocks. They should have shown the kills then when it actually fucking mattered. I had zero emotional investment watching last night. It was boring as shit.

Right. I knew it the show had deviated away from the comic by a wide margin when it comes to tone. I had tried reading the comic after watching the first marathon that got me into the show (before the second half of season 5), and yeah I saw it. I actually did not like the comic for those same reasons, and stopped reading. But I also saw the shift in said tone beginning in the second half of season 4 (although I still really enjoyed it), and knew that it was only a matter of time before they were forced to go all in, just due to the whole man versus zombie thing just wearing too thin. I had accepted it and knew that Negan's intro would probably be my last episode. In fact I am not even dogging them for that, I'm more upset with how they handled the final episodes of last season. The capture by Negan was just not organic at all, with them making Daryl a complete idiot in the wild just to get them captured. Then on the side they completely broke Carol's character as well. Finally, to add insult to injury, they tacked on that stupid cliffhanger just for the cheap attempt to grab viewers for the fall premiere which managed to make me think they may even try dragging the reveal until episode 2 there for a while.

It was a great ride. I loved the campy horror and all of its tropes of Seasons 1, 3, and 4. 2 was alright, save the fact that it was obvious they turned what was originally a 6-8 show season into 13 without doing anything. 5 was meh to me because of the wasted 1st half because of all the time they spent on a story arc that ultimately did not mean a single thing. 6 was great and terrible at the same time with all the pointless filler and the dud ending. It was a great run, and I honestly hope they keep it up for those who enjoy the tone of the comics more. Negan is just too good of an asset to let go to waste.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
No, because you know it's coming. I think the only shock is the level of gore they went with,

I mean half the episode takes place with a headless body atop a pile of mush,

Red wedding came out of nowhere.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Red wedding came out of nowhere.
Not really, if you read the book you knew it was coming, my imagination of that scene took me just as far as TWD did last night............about the only thing that disturbed me with HBO's red wedding was the way they killed Robb's wife, i never imagined it that way because she wasn't there in the books and it was on par with Glenn and Abraham getting their brainpans smashed in to me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not really, if you read the book you knew it was coming, my imagination of that scene took me just as far as TWD did last night............about the only thing that disturbed me with HBO's red wedding was the way they killed Robb's wife, i didn't imagine it because she wasn't there in the books and it was on par with Glenn and Abraham getting their brainpans smashed in to me.
Uh if you read the books it came out of nowhere in the books just like Glenns death in the comic

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Uh if you read the books it came out of nowhere in the books just like Glenns death in the comic
I meant knowing it could be coming in the series because of the books, just like knowing it could be coming in the series from the comics...........it was always in the back of my mind that this could happen in the series, it didn't come out of nowhere to me in either tv series.