The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Snoop was a character that if you thought of it you would think that sounds too cheesy to pull off but watching the show you buy into the character 100%. Also, the actor was sort of a little miss gangster IRL and was pretty much just playing herself.

I guess Sopranos, just because I'm not a big fan of Southern movies.

Huh?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Not sure why I said southern. I meant Western. In the entire genre of movies and TV shows, western things have appealed to me the least of everything else.

But Al Swarengin... I can't ignore him. Such an incredible character.

Also, until Snoop's death scene, did you have ANY idea it was a girl? I was clueless.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Out of context the southern/western thing made even less sense. For a second I thought you were referring to Sopranos. I thought, what??

350x700px-LL-e34c8fe5_tumblr_m8p3hwTuaT1qdato8o6_250.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
The wires still reigns, but if Netflix keeps it up we might have a real contender soon.

The wire is so damn good because it has a broad appeal. Something like mad men, which I think is #1 on the list of "great tv shows which aren't The Wire" loses out mostly because I suspect that if you're not white and 30+ years old, you just don't give a fuck. The wire I think is able to bridge a cultural divide.

And plus littlefinger wins, just like in GoT.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Marry the Wire. It's a toss up for Deadwood and Sopranos. I mean, if you look beyond Sopranos as being the first to do a lot of things, it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is. Deadwood is a great series as well, but it wasn't the best. Tough call. My own personal preference would be to kill... Fuck, I can't choose. In a vacuum, if neither Deadwood or Sopranos existed in the first place, which would I miss more? I guess Sopranos, just because I'm not a big fan of Southern movies. But at the same time, Ian McShane's role in Deadwood was among the best I've ever encountered. Really tough question.

But definitely marry The Wire.

I feel like The Sopranos would be 'better' if it was made today = less of an episodic formula where individual storylines are contained within each episode and more like a show today = each episode is part of the main storyline.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I watched every episode of Deadwood when they originally aired... I thought Swearingen was great and hilarious and there were a lot of great moments in the show. That said, for me Deadwood isn't on the same level as Sopranos and definitely not the Wire. Too many cheesy over the top characters and annoying dialogue. Watching John from Cincinnati and seeing essentially the same characters and ridiculous dialogue in a different environment definitely didn't do Deadwood's legacy any favors for me.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
My fav show of all time right there.

Where the fuck is wallace?

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This is my favorite scene.

I've mentioned it before, a lesser writer would've gone all cliche on this scene. Make Rawls lose his shit on McNulty.

"YOUR GUN AND YOUR BADGE ON MY DESK, MCNULTY! YOU'RE FINISHED!"

The whole season was building to a moment where Rawls could lose his shit and destroy McNulty... and THIS would be the moment any other cop show would've done it. But since The Wire is on a whole other level of writing, the opposite happened. The complexity of Rawls' character shown in that scene is unprecedented in my TV watching lifetime. It caught me completely off guard. "THIS is why The Wire is the greatest show" I thought.

In the end there was no big dramatic scene of McNulty getting fucked. Just him pulling in the line of the boat. Rawls got what he wanted in the end. No fireworks. Just McNulty on the boat. Which of course led to McNulty being a super spiteful bastard in S2, which was fantastic.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've watched all these clips and I didn't realize how many of the great scenes are in the first season.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I watched every episode of Deadwood when they originally aired... I thought Swearingen was great and hilarious and there were a lot of great moments in the show. That said, for me Deadwood isn't on the same level as Sopranos and definitely not the Wire. Too many cheesy over the top characters and annoying dialogue. Watching John from Cincinnati and seeing essentially the same characters and ridiculous dialogue in a different environment definitely didn't do Deadwood's legacy any favors for me.

How does it feel to be so wrong? I think you are remember JFC and not Deadwood. The dialog was the best part of the show.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
why do white people love the wire so much

Because we actually know quality.

The Wire had some of the best tits on an HBO show that I can remember, too. Frank Sobotka's nephew's girlfriend, in her one nude scene, if I remember right.

I should really watch The Sopranos one day.

• 2Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Linking out-of-context any The Wire "climax" scenes to people who didn't watch it is as useful as slapping hanged people with a rope. It's "THE" best TV show ever out there quality wise and it was before SJW was a thing, calling it a race thing is delusional at best.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Linking out-of-context any The Wire "climax" scenes to people who didn't watch it is as useful as slapping hanged people with a rope. It's "THE" best TV show ever out there quality wise and it was before SJW was a thing, calling it a race thing is delusional at best.

We ain't doing it for them, we doing it for us :p

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Took a couple of sittings, but I enjoyed watching Omar's 2-and-a-half hour supercut on the youtubes. Shit is a movie in and of itself.