The Woman King (2022)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Go clean your hats you want to be wop.
i am one whether i want to be or not. your insults are worthless just like your posts. see, now its my turn to sling the doodoo and the poopoo.
arent ad hominem attacks fun? tell me how you really feel, Moronic Webster.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In rapid succession we've got this, BP2, and the Emmitt Till movie. The "hate yourself" propaganda seems to be in full swing again.

I've been waiting for anyone on the left to acknowledge the realities of the slave trade for a while now and I expect I'll keep waiting.

Note: I'm in no way dismissing what happened to Emmitt Till here. That said, there's a reason we aren't ever getting a movie about Channon Christian and Hugh Newsom, and an entire race isn't expected to feel guilt for that one.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Viola Davis-led action epic “ The Woman King ” easily conquered the North American box office in its first weekend in theaters, against a crowded market of new releases. The film, directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, surpassed expectations and earned $19 million in ticket sales, according to estimates from Sony on Sunday.
“The Woman King” was released by Sony and TriStar in 3,765 locations and carries a reported production budget of $50 million, which was co-financed by eOne. The film, about the Agojie, the all-female army of the Kingdom of Dahomey in West Africa in the 1800s, got glowing reviews after its debut at the Toronto Film Festival. It currently boasts a 94% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. And theatrical audiences seem just as enthusiastic, giving it a rare A+ CinemaScore suggesting that word of mouth will be strong in the coming weeks.

ABC giving the movie a full-on BJ for making $19m on opening weekend. Wow. If it's #1 it's because nothing else came out that weekend.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ABC giving the movie a full-on BJ for making $19m on opening weekend. Wow. If it's #1 it's because nothing else came out that weekend.
it was such a big opening that they couldnt list one other movie that was also opening in the article. just "the woman kang iz the bestest evar"

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
RT's weekend box office writeup seems a bit more balanced:
Gina Prince Bythewood’s The Woman King was grandly received at the Toronto Film Festival last week. Currently Certified Fresh at 94%, the historical action epic is just the 10th wide release of the year to register over 90% on the Tomatometer (and three of those are anime films). Earning $1.7 million in previews on Thursday, there was some low-balling that the final number for the weekend was going to come in between $13-16 million. Pre-pandemic, the lowest opening weekend for a film with $1 million in Thursday receipts was Rambo: Last Blood with $18.8 million followed closely by Ad Astra’s $19 million. The bulk of numbers in that range before 2020 hovered in the $25 million range. Alas, numbers aren’t all that they used to be, but a final estimate coming in with $19 million is a positive.

The average gross of a September release making between $16-20 million is a decent $55.5 million, boosted slightly by the only film in that range to reach $100 million, The First Wives Club. The Woman King’s $50 million budget would like something a bit higher than that, as it may not be helped much by international returns. Only 6 of the 25 films on that September list reached $60 million. Yet given the nature of the upcoming schedule, The Woman King appears likely to be a member of the top 10 through the end of October, especially given its A+ Cinemascore. (Top Gun: Maverick is the only other “A+” of 2022.) That grade is also not uncommon for films with primarily African-American casts, and word-of-mouth has often translated to multiples well over three times their opening weekend. It may not be enough to cover the film’s budget, but it could still be a success story in other ways.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So financial flop (I'm sure their goal wasn't to break even) and only critics like it? Good job.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
RT's weekend box office writeup seems a bit more balanced:

Yeah, that writeup at least sounds balanced and factual rather than a full-on BJ from someone who uses the term "slay queen" in casual speech unironically.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Is this a promise?
Hollywood keep inserting blacks to replace all the ginger roles, so if boycotting this film would bring back Ariel and Annie, then fuck yeah. sadly, this baboon has no say in the matter.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i mean... there's a whole lot of unintended consequences on both sides of the argument. viola says that if you want to see more black led movies, go see the woman king. what if i DON'T want to see more black led movies? should i NOT go see this movie? or, perhaps, the reality is that i don't want to see history/fantasy blackwashed, so if i go see the woman king, it will mean more "original ip's" designed specifically for black actors? as a white male i don't really care one way or another about that as long as the characters/script are good...

BUT since i don't really have any interest in this movie (actually significantly less to do with the black actors and more about blatantly changing history to make slave traders look like heroes), if i DON'T go see this movie, will it mean that black actors won't "stay in their lane" (which sounds pretty 'back of the bus' if you ask me, but whatever) and will go back to blackwashing history/fantasy roles?

i really don't know what kind of stance i should even take with this movie now

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is the top of the woke mountain. After years of blatant blackwashing, Hollywood has come full circle with their message. Maybe now the trend can start to go the other way, as this is black yall, its straight black yall, its blackedy black its straight black YALL. BLACK WOMAN KING LOL.

Get the fuck out of here. Movie isnt going to see 40 million. I mean, they cant go any more woke. They already shitcanned black super woman and black bat woman, so the trend is dying, wasnt this movie made a couple years ago?

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

monty python lol GIF

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Note: I'm in no way dismissing what happened to Emmitt Till here.
Well nowadays we know the whole 'he a good boy, he dindu nuffin' is literally never true, so why exactly did his mom send him to live with relatives in Mississippi instead of keeping him at home in Chicago? Trying to keep a delinquent out of trouble?

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
i mean... there's a whole lot of unintended consequences on both sides of the argument. viola says that if you want to see more black led movies, go see the woman king. what if i DON'T want to see more black led movies? should i NOT go see this movie? or, perhaps, the reality is that i don't want to see history/fantasy blackwashed, so if i go see the woman king, it will mean more "original ip's" designed specifically for black actors? as a white male i don't really care one way or another about that as long as the characters/script are good...

BUT since i don't really have any interest in this movie (actually significantly less to do with the black actors and more about blatantly changing history to make slave traders look like heroes), if i DON'T go see this movie, will it mean that black actors won't "stay in their lane" (which sounds pretty 'back of the bus' if you ask me, but whatever) and will go back to blackwashing history/fantasy roles?

Imagining any scenario where they stop blackwashing is foolish. They won’t stop.

• 1Like