The X-Files

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, seasons 8 and 9, while they do have the odd good episode, are not very good. Though they can take credit for coming up with a new character in the from of what's-his-name (T1000), instead of going for a Mulder 2.0 character. He did a good job with what he had, but the show was dead by the time he started. I think the episode where he was in Mexico and had lost his identity was the best one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Funny, when I was a kid I thought Gillian was ugly. Now that I am a grown man, I think of all the terrible, terrible things I would do to her.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When I saw that they added new leads to the show for the last couple seasons I thought the show would suck because they weren't Scully and Mulder. Now that I'm almost to the end I think the last season is suffering because they won't let Mulder and Scully go. I'll echo the sentiment that season 9 would've been much better if they'd just dumped Mulder and Scully and focused on a better story arc with Dogget and Reyes that tied into the alien colonization mytharc. I don't know why Duchovny left the show, but it's understandable if someone wants to do something different after eight years. And if one wanted to go and the other stay they should've just cut out Mulder entirely, or only referenced him rarely instead of obsessing over his absence every episode. Scully's character is wasted at the end carrying old baggage when they could've done something new.

No Mulder-scully-love child-jesus baby, no super soldiers. I think I'm just going to start skipping episodes where it starts Scully and baby. They've tied Scully to the kid and talking about the now absent Mulder so much that there's no room for anything else. So disappointing.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
When I saw that they added new leads to the show for the last couple seasons I thought the show would suck because they weren't Scully and Mulder. Now that I'm almost to the end I think the last season is suffering because they won't let Mulder and Scully go. I'll echo the sentiment that season 9 would've been much better if they'd just dumped Mulder and Scully and focused on a better story arc with Dogget and Reyes that tied into the alien colonization mytharc.
Yeah, I really think X-Files could've pulled off a switch in leads just like Law & Order, CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. have been doing for ages. The stories were interesting enough and there was still a lot to go off of that I think people would've grown to accept a new cast. The problem, like you said, was Mulder and Sculley became so intrinsically linked to the mythology that there was no way to fully separate from them. Doggett and Reyes were never able to get out from Mulder and Sculley's shadow largely because the whole reason they were in the show in the first place was to search for Mulder. It made them feel like temporary substitutes that weren't worth getting attached to. They'd find Mulder, serve their purpose, and then things would go back to normal.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The feeling of "substitutes not worth getting attached to" was reinforced by mulder/scully having individually disappeared for season+ in the past and come back. Didn't feel like you could trust the hand-off.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Cant even begin to express how stoked I am that this show is returning with the original cast and Chris Carter writing it again. When I first heard about it, I thought it be a new cast. Glad that it's not. Should be awesome.

sukik

Last I checked many of the old recurring/occasional cast are on board except Robert Patrick, Steven Williams(Mr. X), Nicholas Lea(Krycek) and the Lone Gunmen.

sukik

I haven't watched the lone gunmen but I know Mr. X and Krycek died but so did Deepthroat and Smoking man and they were brought back. Mr. X would be plausible because they just fade out like when Smoking Man was shot but Krycek got a bullet to the head. Still, supersolider mods or some shit.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
All I have to contribute is...fuck you, Fiji mermaid...you evil creepy shit stay out of my nightmares

WHY WOULD SOMEONE MAKE THIS Arrrrgggh

rrr_img_98563.jpg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't watched the lone gunmen but I know Mr. X and Krycek died but so did Deepthroat and Smoking man and they were brought back. Mr. X would be plausible because they just fade out like when Smoking Man was shot but Krycek got a bullet to the head. Still, supersolider mods or some shit.
When did they bring back Deepthroat?

Smoking Man is dead, there is no coming back from a Hellfire missile. Not dieing from being pushed down some stairs quite believable.