Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

Mandriana

Their populations also aren't a bunch of fat fuck doomers and Karens that collect health comorbidities like Pokemon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Their populations also aren't a bunch of fat fuck doomers and Karens that collect health comorbidities like Pokemon.

Bullshit, they have as many or more people with comorbidities. The majority of the population of China is working on a serious case of smokers/black lung.

Goatface

many NY theaters will be open by this weekend. AMC said they will have 90% open before nov 1.
looks like 25% or 50 people max.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bullshit, they have as many or more people with comorbidities. The majority of the population of China is working on a serious case of smokers/black lung.
the Chongs also have a huge diabeetus problem. when you eat all that rice its bound to happen.

• 1Like

Mandriana

Bullshit, they have as many or more people with comorbidities. The majority of the population of China is working on a serious case of smokers/black lung
To be clear, I was referring mostly to Japan. With obesity being the number one risk factor for people under 65 (who are the movie going population), Japan absolutely has a much lower obesity profile than North America, and significantly less risk with transmission in theatres. As for China, they opened up their industry and economy, so not surprising their movie revenue numbers look fine.

I would also wager that Japan isn't nationally shitting their pants over how dangerously lethal (0.03%) Covid-1984 is, and are more willing to go out and see a movie.

Cybsled

It was basically a paid streaming service where you paid them money to watch tiny 5 minute micro episodes or some shit on your phone. They overpaid for a bunch of celebrities to make content to draw people to the platform and people never came (unsurprisingly).

Goatface

most dangerous game looked ok, certainly not original
can watch the whole series on youtube, think they are 7 mins each, i was waiting to for someone to edit it into a single movie.

think their other "big" show was mini series survive

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It was basically a paid streaming service where you paid them money to watch tiny 5 minute micro episodes or some shit on your phone. They overpaid for a bunch of celebrities to make content to draw people to the platform and people never came (unsurprisingly).
that sounds godawful. i thought it was movies or something. there are plenty of platforms for celebs to prattle on about themselves for free.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The pitch to investors was 'people like TikTok right? What if we had a whole network of TikTok-like shows that are filmed in a vertical aspect ratio so people don't need to rotate their phones!'

One of the local Showcase Cinemas that had recently undergone a complete retrofit to recliner seating & MX4D etc. announced that they are closing down and selling the land to be developed into an Amazon distribution site. The theater had been there for 50 years through thick and thin but the times they are a changin.

Showcase also announced that they are building a 'replacement' theater as part of a mall retrofit into a town-center type format. The verdict is still out as to whether this actually happens of course.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The pitch to investors was 'people like TikTok right? What if we had a whole network of TikTok-like shows that are filmed in a vertical aspect ratio so people don't need to rotate their phones!'

One of the local Showcase Cinemas that had recently undergone a complete retrofit to recliner seating & MX4D etc. announced that they are closing down and selling the land to be developed into an Amazon distribution site. The theater had been there for 50 years through thick and thin but the times they are a changin.

Showcase also announced that they are building a 'replacement' theater as part of a mall retrofit into a town-center type format. The verdict is still out as to whether this actually happens of course.
Lol, you`re making it sound worse.

Cybsled

Part of the failure they are attributing to COVID: phone entertainment makes sense while traveling or you’re out and about, but if you’re at home then why. Although I don’t think that was a main reason - you’re basically paying a sub to watch well produced webisodes.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Part of the failure they are attributing to COVID: phone entertainment makes sense while traveling or you’re out and about, but if you’re at home then why. Although I don’t think that was a main reason - you’re basically paying a sub to watch well produced webisodes.
I think the difference here is that I would actually pay to watch well produced webisodes. Everyone trying to replicate the earlier successes of these tech oligarchs misses the opportunity to just do the thing they want to do without worrying about trying to start up another exclusive distribution channel that people will have to key in on and be knowledgeable of before even deciding if they want to watch a show. Everyone fears challenging existing monopolies like Youtube or Netflix or whatever, so they rarely do, instead they make these companion services that no one wants.

Cybsled

Right, it ultimately comes down to a crowded market and people are only willing to pay so much for niche streaming services. CBS and DC and that Stargate thing already crashed and burned. The Apple thing who knows, but they can afford to shovel cash.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users