Thief (2014)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dishonored's biggest problem was that Corvo was a god a couple hours into the game. There was no good reason to ever use stealth unless you care about trophies or seeing the "good" ending. By all accounts of the new Thief, Garrett still can't fight his way out of a wet paper sack--at least not on any respectable difficulty level. Stealth is absolutely required. I know I'll be using the custom difficulty with everything except Ironman and No Upgrades switched on for my first playthrough just to make sure of that.

That said, I don't expect the game to be better than Thief 2. I'll be happy as long as it's better than Deadly Shadows, and I'm hoping that the Thief team learned from the mistakes made by the Deus Ex: HR team.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The PC Gamer preview was far from glowing. I wouldn't call it scathing, but it was negative enough that I decided not to preorder.

Thief hands-on: the absent atmosphere of Garrett's return | PC Gamer

An excerpt:

PC Gamer_sl said:
In this as in so many other ways, Eidos Montreal's new Thief reboot feels like a step backwards. Garrett, our titular thief, lives in a gothic clocktower in the centre of a city steeped in poverty, corruption, violence and plague. But the tower tells no story. There's a bed, and some candles, and display cases for the trinkets Garrett pilfers on his exploits. But there's nothing of the man. It feels shallow, two-dimensional, and sadly for a series with a history as long and storied as Thief's, in the four hours I spent with the game that feeling never really went away.
They go on to describe shoddy AI and NPC interaction, and perhaps worst of all, the environment has little or no flavor - no conversations to overhear, nobody wandering around the city, etc.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
stop, i think i'm beginning to tear up.

i'm not listening... NANANANANANANA
I know that feel bro. I know all of those feels
frown.png

Vaclav

For popular titles you need to filter with a grain of salt. People always find some small nonsense to critique to make sure they're not sounding like a shill remember.

Even games that score 90+ on metacritic still see comments like that, especially sequels.

Vorph

Eh, there's nothing in that PC Gamer article I'd call a deal-breaker even if it's all true. People forgetting what Thief 1 & 2 were like?

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Complete shit that they're not using the same voice. I fully expect this to be a Dishonored clone where I can face roll guards and never touch a shadow. I sure hope I'm wrong cause I loved the shit out of Thief 1 and 2. I was 14-15 at the time of Thief and still have my copies with god knows how many play throughs. I loved sitting there with all the lights off watching guards path for 5-10 minutes until I figured out when was clear. Hope to shit they keep with Pagans/Hammerites as the enemy and dont introduce some new shit. Hammerites are awesome.
I was very disappointed with the exclusion of Russell, *but* I will say I like the new voice actor (He did Ezio's father in AC2) so at LEAST I have a vet to fall back on.

I read that interview, and it's sort of interesting that they mention the phrase *disconnect*. The voice is such a huge part, in any game I play. It will be hard to play a Garrett with a new voice.

I'm stoked for this though; I pre-ordered the master thief edition from Steam. Does anyone know if there's an actual physical copy of the game for PC?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bumping this thread since I stumbled upon some news I had missed that sound pretty good. Basically, they have a customizable "difficulty" setting where you get to select a bunch of options to change certain aspects of the game, such as removing upgrades, removing HUD, removing checkpoint saves(have to restart level), ironman etc. One interesting option was a "no kill" mode which means there should be a way to finish the game without having to fight anything if you so desire(better than Deus Ex with the arcade-y boss fights mixed in for example).

Article onModifying Thief for (Less) Fun and (Fewer) Profits - IGN

Video for people with reading deficiencies:

Vaclav

The actual text on the option as it's listed in the article is "No Kills or Knockouts" - so no it's not different, he just abbreviated which made it unclear.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm going to get this, what else is there? I'm still skeptical though and when pre-release articles are kind of meh its usually a pretty big warning sign that things are very meh to bad.

Vaclav

Eh, I take that with a grain of salt - almost all reviews are "Meh" these days after the last couple years of them being criticized for being too positive about stuff all the time.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Smart money is on this just being a Dishonored clone right? Where you have to choose to not use like half your abilities in order to be "challenged" by the game.

I'm still pissed about not using Russell, fuck them.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Watching him rock two dudes running right after him with ease i'd say yes it looks like a dishonored clone. Hopefully the missions and variety of approaches allow for a deeper experience. I enjoyed dishonored but I do expect more from a game with the title "Thief".

Vorph

I'd say the solution is to watch the video Pyros posted. You can get yourself a Garrett who can't fight worth shit, isn't allowed to kill--or even knockout--anyone, has to restart the entire mission for even a single fuck-up, etc. Kind of curious how many people calling it a Dishonored clone will be able to complete the game with most/all of the custom difficulty options turned on.

And before anyone gets all worked up, I'm not even sure I have the patience for that anymore either. I'm definitely going to turn most of the stuff on, as I absolutely do NOT want Garrett to be able to fight back at all or for him to be allowed to be anything but a complete ghost, but for a first playthrough I will leave checkpoint saves and the upgrade system alone.

Szlia

It may end up being like Alpha Protocol: a game where you have to be very careful on how to do things if you don't want to ruin your own fun!

Vorph

I found Alpha Protocol to be a fantastic game no matter how I played it (three times in total), so I would be ok with that.
biggrin.png

Szlia

'Fantastic' is not what sprung to my mind when I got magical invisibility that allowed me to chain execute dozens of people with no risk nor skill involved and just had to wait 20ish seconds to do it again! I also hear that the game becomes equally lame if you decide to just mow people down with big guns and thick armor because the level design and enemy AI was just not made with that style in mind.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Twitch

GT Live - Thief in the House. 4:30pm PST/7:30pm EST

Come join us for a special developer Q/A with Eidos Montreal, exclusive footage & more in this LIVE stream!