Thief (2014)

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Dem Xbone Crushed Blacks
for a moment I thought "crushed blacks" was socioeconomic commentary

yeah, them xbone graphics is ratchet

more or less irrelevant, but 360 graphics too... compared to ps3, them shits is crunchy

what you doin mickersof?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Basically my OCD to open and find everything is what is keeping me going and I can't see a normal human being enjoying this.
I think a normal person could enjoy the game immensely. Your OCD is what's killing your enjoyment. You don't need to open all the drawers man, just stop.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, Sean, just stop letting your mental disorder affect you. It's easy, right?
rolleyes.png

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I think a normal person could enjoy the game immensely. Your OCD is what's killing your enjoyment. You don't need to open all the drawers man, just stop.
if it's any consolation, I have the same problem...

all of the sandboxish RPG games and adventure games with collectables and easter eggs drive me nuts!

I end up scraping every wall to look in every corner and loot every item... it always turns into either an inventory management simulator, or an exploration/collectable challenge that usually burns me out before I can finish the game because I've spent the vast majority of my time playing in a manner that ignores the content and focuses on the items/ammo/collectables

I ruin many good games for myself this way, and even though I know that I tend to do it, it's hard for me not to.

I'm not nearly this OCD in most of my RL, but I think that old school games that punished you by inconvenient autosaves, forced backtracking, or gimping your progress for not having done XYZ at the right time have conditioned me to overloot, conserve all consumables and ammo, and collect everything I can before I progress the story.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah, Sean, just stop letting your mental disorder affect you. It's easy, right?
rolleyes.png
People like to claim that opening things in video games equates to OCD, but it doesn't. Sean isn't going to start having anxiety or panic attacks if he runs through a room without checking the closets in Thief.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
People like to claim that opening things in video games equates to OCD, but it doesn't. Sean isn't going to start having anxiety or panic attacks if he runs through a room without checking the closets in Thief.
Yeah, I get that. Could still be a mild form of OCD. It really depends on the person's reaction if they are unable to/prevented from satisfying that urge. Maybe not a panic attack, but even if it makes them slightly uncomfortable/irritable it could be a problem.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Let's just call it what it is - you want to collect as much as you can, as fast as you can, so you can get to 100% the game as fast as possible. The unreasonable part is that you want to 100% everything; opening drawers is just a symptom of your completionism.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You're all about efficiency. That's what I mean. You're always the guy that 100%'s something within a week and tells everyone else the best methods they can use to do so. Remove my 'as fast as possible' comment if it bothers you that much, point still stands. You're not OCD, you're a completionist.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
You're not OCD, you're a completionist.
speaking for myself, not sean... but here's a personal example that states otherwise:

I'm in Skyrim, and clearing a dungeon. I kill several enemies, and find that they each carry too many/too heavy items for me to loot. Yet, I intend to sell everything I can possibly sell in order to make as much money as early as possible in order to be able to consume as much of the game as possible without having to go back and grind/search/kill/loot. In this sense, I suppose efficiency may be an appropriate word. However, the way I often proceed can be described as anything but efficient.

I loot everything possible, travel to nearest vendor/hub, sell all for cash. Return to scene of the crime, loot, travel, sell. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Of course, in the meantime, I've encountered more enemies, created more loot/cash opportunities, etc. I end up spending an hour just clearing the aftermath of one combat encounter.

Or another example. Papers Please. I make a mistake on any single day's immigrant processing, and restart the entire day because I don't want to give myself a disadvantage going into the next day.

Another example, just about any RPG/FPS/Adventure game with health and consumables... Mass Effect, Dead Space, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc... I finish clearing a room or dealing with enemies, but I decide that I've used more ammo/health kits/items than necessary, leaving me under equipped afterwards... I restart at the last save, and keep trying until I "perfect" the encounter.

Again, I can't speak for Sean, but what Sean described in his quest to open every cabinet resonated with me and the way that I know I approach gaming. And as said in an earlier post, the way that I end up playing often causes me to burn out and delay completion of the game, or simply to stop playing it altogether... so completionist definitely doesn't apply, despite the fact that the way I play might suggest it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well, all I can say is that Thief is much more fun when you're not wasting time on shit that doesn't matter :/

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I can relate somewhat. Early on in my gaming career I got in the habit of "saving" consumables, cuz, ya know, I could use this now, but I might need it more later and wish I had it. So, I basically end up finishing games with 99% of all consumables unused.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're all about efficiency. That's what I mean. You're always the guy that 100%'s something within a week and tells everyone else the best methods they can use to do so. Remove my 'as fast as possible' comment if it bothers you that much, point still stands. You're not OCD, you're a completionist.
He definitely doesn't do it too quickly - I smelled the roses quite a bit 100%ing single player AC4 and was done well in advance of him timeframewise (on my PS3 playthrough I had him by days - my PS4 one I didn't smell the roses since it was a second playthrough - note, not counting the MP stuff since he skipped that and I was VERY slow about bothering with it myself) - he just has a ton of time he can allocate per play session.

For someone who can play 24/7ish he's far from fast. Not that it's a bad thing - far more enjoyable to pace yourself anyhow - when I'm feeling crushed by my backlog and just grind stuff to finish trophying it the enjoyment level is almost nil in comparison to when I take my time.

Vaclav

Well, all I can say is that Thief is much more fun when you're not wasting time on shit that doesn't matter :/
I'd say this is probably true, but if one cares about trophies it's a huge part of many - the "25 optional objectives" is pretty tough without getting the "all loot" objectives in each for example - and absolutely have to get all the collectibles per mission for a trophy.

Not sure how the objectives work with replaying missions though since I know that's doable. (Keep in mind there's only like 15 missions with objectives or so?)

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I don't think you've actually seen me play if you think I'm super efficient!I get efficient by some trial and error and can give advice on it, but I generally am not on a lot of games until I've put a lot of time in it.

You just have a skewed perception since I used to just play non-stop till I was done and had a ton of free time.
Didn't you 100% complete GW2 in like... a few weeks? That took me a few months....

I'd like a review from a non super full time gamer type, prease. How close to the original thief games is it, really? I loved those.

Vaclav

Although I'm a "full time gamer" (mostly - busy week here being wife's birthday and the car accident causing some chaos in needing to be out a ton recently) - I've been pacing myself to a mission a night or so and it's been highly enjoyable pacing myself like that (while being rather OCD about looting every damn drawer but doesn't feel so bad with pacing myself) I've been finding the brief times I've spent with it each night to be quite enjoyable and on par with the old games which I would play in similar doses.

There probably isn't enough variety in it to really binge on it and enjoy it nearly as much though - but as something to sample on a little bit here and there it's a great game - but definitely doesn't ever feel like something I'd play for 10 hrs straight without feeling like I'm just slogging through it because I "have to" - however as a 1-2 hrs here and there thing it's been awesome.