Thief (2014)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Worth $60 at this point, or what for a sale? I am not particularily starved for games, but my PS4 isn't getting a lot of use these days due to lack of library.
I'd say yes for me personally - it's definitely slow paced though - have you played any of the old PC ones? Because I'd HIGHLY suggest giving T:TDP or Thief 2 a shot and see how those appeal for the minor investment involved before committing to $60 if the cost is at all a worry to you.

As I said earlier, comparing them to anything else "stealth" right now is a horrid comparison to make - "Thief" has been really it's own thing with Hitman and "Ghost" plays of Dishonored getting the closest (Although I'm theorizing on the latter - I've not played it but heard people make the comparison in reverse so I'd assume it's accurate) - so liking the genre in general is hard to compare it to.

Also the little bit of Outlast I played does seem to mirror the concept of avoidance over all else as well - although in the horror trope side of things.

Vorph

I've run into the 'completely out of sync cutscenes' (the in-game ones not the prerendered ones) bug twice and when I had the guards in the jewelry store awake due to a screw up one of them eventually saw me even though there was a closed door between him and me. Those are the only major issues I've had.

As for the price, I got my copy from an AMD code, but I'd say it's definitely worth the PC price tag at whatever you can get it now. I know it's $40 at GameFly, not sure about GMG because their site is down at the moment but it's probably $36 there. Anyone who has a decent PC and pays the Sony tax is crazy though; the PC version is an excellent port and there's no way any console version can compete with it. Even if you still go ahead and play it with a gamepad like I'm doing right now.

Don't bother with the master thief edition though, unless you really like digital art/comic books. The only DLC it adds is a pack of cheater items.

spronk

FPS noob
its $26 for PC today only, includes a couple extra bonus pack DLCs (pretty useless shit)
Game Deal Daily: Free Shipping Every Day on a New XBox, Playstation, or Nintendo Game

its worth $20-30, definitely NOT worth $60. the faces, voice syncs, and story are all pretty bad. The thief aspects are fun, but if you hated the previous thief games or dishonored (stealth mode) or Hitman (stealth mode) you will not like this game. I know Thief predates Dishonored by years and years but it honestly feels like a crappier version of Dishonored (similar story), which was not that great a game itself.

no real issues on PC though, I'd say PC version is best since it does 60 fps, any rez, and I'd guess people will release mods, hacks, and higher rez texture packs eventually whereas the console versions I doubt will get touched. No real crash problems or bugs, other than sync stuff. The difficulty tweaking is great, I try to collect every item and I'm not even close, in normal mode.

Vorph

Be careful buying Steam keys from unauthorized resellers. Keys from Russia and CIS were region locked by Square-Enix a couple days ago andwill not workin the rest of Europe or North America. I've never heard of that site before and have no idea where they get their keys from, but generally when someone sells a game that cheap it's because they sourced keys from CIS/RU. I would, at the very least, contact them first and get a confirmation on where they got their keys from.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
yeah I bought Dishonored at a huge discount from a site that turned out to be selling a region locked version.. couldnt play, couldnt get a refund.. sucked all around.

may have to wait for an official sale to make this one palatable, cause I certainly don't want to give $30 to someone I don't know

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
But man it is a Thief game, look at all the extra shadows you get on the Xbox version. He's extra Thiefier.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
But man it is a Thief game, look at all the extra shadows you get on the Xbox version. He's extra Thiefier.
Someone at Microsoft probably just read that and will probably twist the sarcasm into something real. "See? 720p means nothing. Look at what they did with the color scheme."

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'd say yes for me personally - it's definitely slow paced though - have you played any of the old PC ones? Because I'd HIGHLY suggest giving T:TDP or Thief 2 a shot and see how those appeal for the minor investment involved before committing to $60 if the cost is at all a worry to you.

As I said earlier, comparing them to anything else "stealth" right now is a horrid comparison to make - "Thief" has been really it's own thing with Hitman and "Ghost" plays of Dishonored getting the closest (Although I'm theorizing on the latter - I've not played it but heard people make the comparison in reverse so I'd assume it's accurate) - so liking the genre in general is hard to compare it to.

Also the little bit of Outlast I played does seem to mirror the concept of avoidance over all else as well - although in the horror trope side of things.
I'll try one of the older ones. However, weren't fans of the older games pissed off it wasn't like the older games? IE: Hitman. I really liked Absolution though... And I played all the hitman games too. And the hard core fans said the same thing about that series.

Vorph

After seeing literally hundreds of screenshots people post of their Fallout/Skyrim modding with ENB presets that crush blacks even worse than that Xbone screenshot, I am not the least bit surprised. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if there was already a SweetFX profile for Thief posted at thelazy that replicates the Xbone look.

Edit:Yup.

Vorph

I'll try one of the older ones. However, weren't fans of the older games pissed off it wasn't like the older games? IE: Hitman. I really liked Absolution though... And I played all the hitman games too. And the hard core fans said the same thing about that series.
I bought the other 3 Thief games on release day too, and I think Thief 4 is just fine. I didn't have super-high expectations or anything, I just wanted Thief 4 to at least be a better Thief game than Deus Ex: HR was a Deus Ex game (not that HR was bad, just that the other Eidos Montreal team had the chance to learn from HR's successes/mistakes, and also from Dishonored). Nowhere near done with it yet, but so far they've easily beat that mark.

I just wish it was more polished. The audio problems aren't only limited to the occasional out of sync cutscene, there's just something fundamentally broken in there. Even with headphones I find it very hard to get any sense of where the person I'm hearing is located relative to Garrett when I'm roaming around the city. And if I was playing on Ironman or even just with chapter saves I would find the door bug infuriating. Three times now I've gotten a game over due to a guard spotting me through a door--two times it was closed and the third it was open but I was hiding behind it completely out of sight.

Oh, and some advice to people who haven't started yet: If you're going to play with focus off, you should shut off upgrades as well. There's very little point to having one without the other so you might as well get yourself more difficulty points. Personally I don't have a problem with focus, and I think it would actually be fun to play around with. I don't know why Thief 1/2 fans are so outraged at its mere existence, to me it feels like one of those 201X features that people making games in 199X would have done if they had been able to. I also strongly recommend NOT playing with the slower movement setting on. It makes pickpocketing people ungodly annoying since you have to rely on dashing just into range of pickpocket without bumping them and getting caught.

Vaclav

I'd agree with what I've seen so far, got all the marks I want - especially challenge without seeming unfair (not bumped into his door bug, that will feel unfair if-when it occurs on PS4 version - hasn't YET though - only time I got spotted "through" a door I heard a guard comment on "why did that door move" when I closed it a second earlier - and I didn't see him so I assume he legitimately saw me closing it) which is the biggest part of Thief done right to me.

C+/B- territory to me, with PS4's currently light library I consider it a must buy if I was buying a gift for my clone. In a year or so it'll probably be mostly forgettable though unfortunately as some B+ or better stuff starts to show up.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Both the PS 4 and Xbox One versions have advantages and disadvantages. The "crushed blacks" obscure some of the detail while the PS 4 looks washed out in areas that are supposed to be dark.

Vorph

(not bumped into his door bug, that will feel unfair if-when it occurs on PS4 version - hasn't YET though - only time I got spotted "through" a door I heard a guard comment on "why did that door move" when I closed it a second earlier - and I didn't see him so I assume he legitimately saw me closing it) which is the biggest part of Thief done right to me.
All three times were inside the tailor sidequest area, so I am hoping there's just something wrong with the doors in that building and that it's not a game-wide issue.

Both the PS 4 and Xbox One versions have advantages and disadvantages. The "crushed blacks" obscure some of the detail while the PS 4 looks washed out in areas that are supposed to be dark.
The difference is that you can fix 'washed out' with brightness/contrast/gamma, or with SweetFX on the PC if you know what you're doing with it. Once the blacks are crushed, there's no going back. That detail is lost forever no matter what settings you play around with.

Vaclav

All three times were inside the tailor sidequest area, so I am hoping there's just something wrong with the doors in that building and that it's not a game-wide issue.
Already done the tailor area and no problems here with it, interesting...

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The PS4 version isnotwashed out at all. There is absolutely no "disadvantage" there and the PC version looks identical to the PS4 version color wise. Both the PS4/PC versions look properly dark when being played.

The washed out stuff is complete nonsense.
Whoa buddy! I think you mean the PS4 version looks exactly the same as the PC version!
wink.png

Vorph_sl said:
The audio problems aren't only limited to the occasional out of sync cutscene, there's just something fundamentally broken in there.
My favorite audio bugs are when the same event triggers multiple times so I've got one or two guards/people looping over themselves.

Otherwise my other favorite bug is when a guard gets stuck and just spins in place at hyper speed. And it is strange because it almost seems like their movement is tied more closely to your position or camera position than it should be. Once or twice I've had a guard get stuck spinning and I can un-stick him by just scooting left or right. Completely out of sight of him and not raising any awareness at all. He just fixes himself. Could be completely coincidental because it doesn't make any sense to me why, but I've recreated it somewhat reliably.