Thief (2014)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've got my PS4 copy coming in via Amazon that is due within the next 2 hrs (UPS Choice stating 2pm-4pm EST) - so if you're looking for PS4 feedback, I'll be able to give some after the wife's psychiatrist appointment barring UPS screwing up. (back around 5pm EST)

spronk

FPS noob
Having fun so far, the gameplay and mechanics are pretty solid, voices and story are pretty weak. Its interesting that it doesn't require uPlay, but still uses your S-E (uplay?) account for challenge leaderboards and stuff but stores all save stuff on steam. Hopefully it means square is moving away from uPlay.

I think AC4 spoiled me a bit, without that I'd say this is a very solid game but after AC4 you definitely feel like the world, graphics, interactibility, and polish isn't quite there. Still fun for any fan of stealth games, but definitely not a $60 buy. I'm glad of all those AMD radeon bundles, I got the game for $8 and its not worth much more than that, especially if the finish time is really under 15 hours.

The difficulty tweaking is AMAZING, i'm gonna play through once on easy just to learn the shit but a full iron man playthrough sounds amazing (if you fail all your saves get deleted!). I wish they had invested as much time in the acting and plotting as the mechanics.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I've got my PS4 copy coming in via Amazon that is due within the next 2 hrs (UPS Choice stating 2pm-4pm EST) - so if you're looking for PS4 feedback, I'll be able to give some after the wife's psychiatrist appointment barring UPS screwing up. (back around 5pm EST)
Yeah I would be interested. However, like Spronk, after playing AC4 (And still playing) I'm not sure how I would take the game. It got to the point where the open world of AC4 was fantastic, pirate stuff to do, etc - when it came for an actual main mission I wanted to throw my controller through a window they were so mind numbingly boring compared to the rest of the game. Which always entailed "Stay in the circle so you can hear the conversation". I wouldn't mind things like Hitman Blood Money style sneaking, but some of the AC games with those missions grate on my nerves.

Vaclav

AC4 is hard to compare to the old Thief games, I can't imagine I'd like to categorize them the same with the new one either. I know a bazillion and a half old school Thief fans (hyperbole, obviously) and out of the many of them I know I can think of only a few that also enjoyed the AC series - for the most part they appeal to different types. (Although note, I am one of them that enjoys both)

Hitman I would consider pretty close though from just playing the most recent Hitman when it came on PS+, it's not a great fit but it's at least close - hiding bodies when you have to knock out/kill someone, trying to be completely undetected, light and arrows vs. disguises and sabotages though. I'm not sure for 100% that you'd enjoy it similarly to Hitman, but it's a fairer point to reference for sure.

After all - AC4 (and the other AC games) play as an Assassin/Swashbuckler thing where you drop into combat mode murdering a dozen people at the drop of a hat and it doesn't impede progress - Hitman and Thief type games you might be able to survive the occasional mass aggro but usually you're screwed if you do mass aggro. [Kinda like "pulling" in EQ1 was - one on one is key, get a pack you're probably dead]

They really should be separate categories for "pure stealth" and "assassin stealth/assassination" games though - because really it's as silly to lump them in the same category as it was to lump 2D and 3D platformers together that still are often lumped together (although a couple places are wising up to separating them finally).

Needless

Toe Sucker
my woman handed me a copy for the PS4 on lunch break, I shall see how this bitch is later tonight I guess hah

Vaclav

And UPS apparently sucking for me today - 55 min after the delivery window quoted and still not here. Great job Brown.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Shocking

Now get on it so I can decide to Gamefly it still or just get persona 4 golden again for my vita.
Heh, I might start it tonight. Lately I've barely put any time into games, been feeling too sick to play anything. Managed to beat Strider, but only on like Chapter 3 of Bravely Default and Day 3 of Lightning Returns.

And so I have those + Thief and Castlevania LoS 2 sitting here untouched, and still need to play Castlevania Mirror of Fate, and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles will be here soon.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
And UPS apparently sucking for me today - 55 min after the delivery window quoted and still not here. Great job Brown.
Quoted, and also told that it is simply an estimate and not a guarantee. GJ reading comprehension!

Sean_sl

shitlord
Twitch

Finally started a game. Playing on Master. It will be the most boring as fuck thing in the world though and I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch someone play a Stealth game, especially one where I try to collect every single little thing.

Vaclav

Quoted, and also told that it is simply an estimate and not a guarantee. GJ reading comprehension!
UPS Choice ($40 program thing or $5 per package) is supposed to be guaranteed - which I did mention earlier in the thread - GJ reading comprehension indeed.

Confirmed 2-hour Delivery Window
UPS My Choice Premium Members can choose from up to three different confirmed 2-hour delivery windows.
But hey, maybe that's not what they mean by "confirmed" right? It's not a big deal for something like a game, but we already have it because of some other shipments we receive requiring it. (breakins as short as a block away were bad last year, and it's not uncommon to get $600+ dropped on the doorstep or where a delay would be problematic if it was taken like the wife's meds) So thanks for being an idiot and assuming people have no clue about what they're talking about.

They ended up 3 hrs and 15 min late on the window I PAID them a premium price to guarantee - there's rightful reason to complain considering its the intent of the premium price for them to stick to the selected window. I'm not even an asshole who uses it to guarantee first thing in the AM delivery, I take where it fits in my schedule when there's conflicts.

As for on topic besides schooling morons who interject commentary when it's not warranted or frankly wrong: Played through the first chapter and prologue so far, not seeing reason for the complaints yet - nothing feeling wrong - yet to see a bad texture on PS4 yet (although I haven't been focusing on finding them) - pacing is slow as expected for a Thief title but it's playing well. (Hopefully though the Tramadol + first person stuff doesn't hit me as hard today - not used to being on pain meds [damn accident] and really had a bad case of motion sickness when I had to call it quits - hopefully its just the Tramadol causing it and not just the game in general been a long time since I've had a motion sickness issue with a game)

Update on UPS: Did get an email this morning stating that they'll be giving a refund for missing the window that should post in a few days - without even contacting customer service mind you - so at least they're rectifying it properly and it doesn't really matter on a game sitting on the porch unlike the wife's meds. [Was actually sitting in my email for a while, checked the boards before checking my email]

Sean_sl

shitlord
As for on topic besides schooling morons who interject commentary when it's not warranted or frankly wrong: Played through the first chapter and prologue so far, not seeing reason for the complaints yet - nothing feeling wrong - yet to see a bad texture on PS4 yet (although I haven't been focusing on finding them) - pacing is slow as expected for a Thief title but it's playing well.
Same, it's pretty good so far. The guy who gave this a 3.5 and shit is a retard. It's a very solid Thief game and has a ton of customization for exactly how you want it to be.

Framerate during gameplay is solid, haven't seen any real dips yet. It totally chugs during some cutscenes for some reason though. It's annoying, but not really something I'd market it down for since it's just cutscenes. I haven't had any texture pop-in problems either, but I'm not using the stock HDD.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The only review I read was the Rock, Paper, Shotgun one so no idea what all the otherreviewsites had to complain about. On Master difficulty with the extra settings it plays almost exactly like a modern day Thief game should. There are a few concessions here and there because developers have latched on to certain ways things have to be done (no jumping), but overall I really enjoy it. Possibly all the extra gameplay "features" detract from the experience and make it seem like a bland and shallow Dishonored, Assassin's Creed, or something else? Maybe the blinky stuff, hand holding, waypoints, combat, etc... really hurt. But not playing with any of that on I'd not know.

The textures at 2560x1440 look pretty bad in most cases. But the environmentals help mask some of that. Spending most of the time in the shadows watching guard pathing and focusing more distant objectives (and just generally not staring at walls helps). But you'll notice it when you get up to a safe, desk, and other things the first person perspective puts you directly up against.

It is hard for me to say it is a $60 purchase though. Even with all the things I'm enjoying it seems totally niche, not completely fleshed out, and somehow not polished. My hope is that it sells passably well and they are able to develop a sequel with feedback and for a fully 'next gen' platform.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I got distracted by the D3 patch last night.. gonna try playing this some more tonight.
Wasn't really fond of the whole.. hold L2 the entire time because its how you interact with 90% of anything lol

Vaclav

I got distracted by the D3 patch last night.. gonna try playing this some more tonight.
Wasn't really fond of the whole.. hold L2 the entire time because its how you interact with 90% of anything lol
Yea, trigger finger was getting tired - thank god I've got it on PS4 though for the PS4 controller - PS3 controller would start getting painful I'm sure...

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yea, trigger finger was getting tired - thank god I've got it on PS4 though for the PS4 controller - PS3 controller would start getting painful I'm sure...
Worth $60 at this point, or what for a sale? I am not particularily starved for games, but my PS4 isn't getting a lot of use these days due to lack of library.