Tiny Malicious Dinosaurs (Bird) Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
EfbzmfuXkAYSQ3y.jpg
Ok Hannibal lecture u sick fuk

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Looking at 1-2 more weeks hopefully to get my parrot home. Cunts been extra slow weaning.

Put deposit down in late april when she was almost a month or so old. Crossing my fingers for by end of August. Going to have to dust her cage I prepped.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've always liked birds. Would never own one. Closest I've come was caring for young sparrows that fell out of their nest. Water mixed with wheat germ sprayed down their gullet with a small syringe until they can fly. Then nature takes its course. My pops did falconry with peregrines and trained ravens who, by his account, are smarter and much more intelligibly vocal than macaws or parrots. And apparently very "easy" to train, as far as birds are concerned.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
One of my Conures got spooked on Saturday and flew off when it was 106F out, of course it was the one I was most fond of. I spent all day walking around and driving around trying to find her, I was just about to give up when she flew over-head right at dusk. She landed in a tree and would not come down, I had to climb the fucker to get her out and fractured my toe in the process. She had heat exhaustion and was scared shitless, glad she is home though.

I'm going to kick my neighbor's ass for leaving this giant stick in the breezeway for a month now, damn thing was pushed up against my door and the sound of my front door pushing it out of the way spooked her.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Glad you got your bird back. Yeah, my parrot is flighted and I’m always worried someone is going to leave a door open for just a bit too long and he’ll get spooked and bolt. Conversely, when I’ve tried to clip his wings he will still try to fly and hits the ground like a sack of bricks and I feel bad. Lose, lose with these little fuckers.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My existing parrot the red bellied, I think was clipped at one point, keeps wanting to lose some of her big flight feathers usually on one side or another. Not sure if plucking or having a panic while I'm away in the cage, but I've had to work on getting her to regain her confidance flying now that she's regrown them. Getting her to make short flights to the treat bowl kind of stuff. Course yesterday she lost a wing feather out of both wings as she went flapping, havn't looked to figure out if they were the important ones.

Baby bird flies all the god damn time and I am almost tempted to try and part clip to slow her down a bit. Outside doors not as much a concern as if my office door is open and go exploring a house full of dogs.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I live on a moving body of water (river). I've never seen ducks around or in it. I'd like some ducks however the river has a few alligators and there are hawks/bears around it. Could ducks make it out here?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nah, domestic ducks are just like chickens in that they will stay within a couple hundred yards of the house and go inside at night. Unless you have predators coming into your yard in broad daylight or the house won't keep predators out at night they should be fine. Not to say that weird stuff doesn't happen sometimes but there's a 90% chance it will work out fine.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Nah, domestic ducks are just like chickens in that they will stay within a couple hundred yards of the house and go inside at night. Unless you have predators coming into your yard in broad daylight or the house won't keep predators out at night they should be fine. Not to say that weird stuff doesn't happen sometimes but there's a 90% chance it will work out fine.
Black Bears walk through my yard but I think they mainly eat berries. It's the fucking red shouldered hawks im worried about. They're everywhere.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
One of my Conures got spooked on Saturday and flew off when it was 106F out, of course it was the one I was most fond of. I spent all day walking around and driving around trying to find her, I was just about to give up when she flew over-head right at dusk. She landed in a tree and would not come down, I had to climb the fucker to get her out and fractured my toe in the process. She had heat exhaustion and was scared shitless, glad she is home though.

I'm going to kick my neighbor's ass for leaving this giant stick in the breezeway for a month now, damn thing was pushed up against my door and the sound of my front door pushing it out of the way spooked her.

Exact same thing happened to me, I use to like to hang out on the porch of my old place with my two conures with me, then a loud noise caused one of them to fly off. I eventually found it in a tree and after holding my hand up to it and calling him, he flew down to me. Also had a African Grey (I actually still have this bird) fly off my hand way off across the pasture. I could not find him at first, searched a long time then just happened to see him in a bush being still and quiet as can be (was scared, defense mechanism). It was getting dark so lucky I found him.

Had another African Grey get out of his flight cage and fly off, never saw him again. I hope a person got him and not a hawk.

Oh and those two conures I had are both dead now because a ignorant friend gave them cherries that I did not know about, and they died from the pits. Poison. So much animal drama over the years.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Humming birds are cool to watch. We have a firecracker plant in front of our house and after ever rain they zip around it.

We also have owls that live in the wooded area behind our house. I hear them hooting all the time. A few weeks back, in the middle of the night, I was hearing this screaming sound like I've never heard before. The weird bit was that it was moving around fast, one second it was behind the house, the next in front of my house, then off to the side, and then back in the back. Our only guess is that an owl nabbed some critter (like a rabbit) and flew it around screaming until it died.

• 1Like