Tips on being a cheap piece of shit

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I save over 70% of my income. It used to be over 90% when I was working more overtime.

Have you considered cutting your hours? Once I hit a point where I was saving 50% of my income each month, I cut my hours down so I only have to work 4 days a week. Best decision ever, it doesn't seem like that big a difference on paper but it's literally 50% more days off.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Have you considered cutting your hours? Once I hit a point where I was saving 50% of my income each month, I cut my hours down so I only have to work 4 days a week. Best decision ever, it doesn't seem like that big a difference on paper but it's literally 50% more days off.

You have to enjoy life to enjoy time off. I don't believe your (very good) plan would work for her.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I use the same tea bag at least 3 times

edit: check the post below this one

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I use the same the bag at least 3 times

giphy.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've been taking some of the days off they still owe me from the past 2 years, but I get assigned so much work that I end up working on my days off, and I end up working 46-48 hour weeks anyway even though my boss rejects my timesheet if it's above 40 hours even if another manager assigned me work and approved overtime.

They say they'll give me comp time but I'll never be able to take off all the time they already owe me.

All my hours worked and the hours they make me delete from my timesheet every week are all documented in the billing system and my timesheets in ServiceNow, (they only make me delete my timesheets in Paycom, because that's what actually pays me) and also documented in emails every week (I tell my bosses "have deleted X hours from my timesheet" at the end of every week) that would be discoverable in court, just waiting to finalize another job offer.

• 1WTF

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I've been taking some of the days off they still owe me from the past 2 years, but I get assigned so much work that I end up working on my days off, and I end up working 46-48 hour weeks anyway even though my boss rejects my timesheet if it's above 40 hours even if another manager assigned me work and approved overtime.

They say they'll give me comp time but I'll never be able to take off all the time they already owe me.

All my hours worked and the hours they make me delete from my timesheet every week are all documented in the billing system and my timesheets in ServiceNow, (they only make me delete my timesheets in Paycom, because that's what actually pays me) and also documented in emails every week (I tell my bosses "have deleted X hours from my timesheet" at the end of every week) that would be discoverable in court, just waiting to finalize another job offer.
Grow some fucking balls, what the fuck?

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Grow some fucking balls, what the fuck?
Once this other job gets finalized, I'll leave politely, let them cash out all the vacation time they owe me, then once that check clears I'll send a demand letter for the 5200 dollars in back overtime they owe me.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You actually save more money overall if you're able to put any extra $$$ (that you can afford) into your mortgage payment every month. Back when I was in PA, my payment was $1650. I would put a flat $2k in every month, and in 9 years living there, I took an additional 5-6 years off the top. That means I would be paying WAY LESS in taxes overall. Even with a low APR, you're paying out the ass on a home. We had purchased our house for $205k. For a 30 year mortgage at $1650/month which was also at around 3.5% APR at the time... After 30 years, I would have paid $594k for my place.

But 9 years of paying an additional $350/month was a total of $37,800 (that's assuming I always paid the 2k. There were quite a few months that I was tight, so I couldn't afford it).
However, 5 years of payments at $1650 is actually $99,000. So an extra $38k total, saved me $61k.

So that's a great way to be cheap at the expense of spending a little more up front.

Another way to save, is to find local deals with various restaurants. There was a Hoagie shop around where I used to work. For $4.50/day, they would have a STUFFED 6" hoagie, a bag of chips and a can of soda. Every day the "special" hoagie would change, so every day I would get something different.
giphy.gif

Mmmm, hoagie.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Once this other job gets finalized, I'll leave politely, let them cash out all the vacation time they owe me, then once that check clears I'll send a demand letter for the 5200 dollars in back overtime they owe me.
Maybe they’re trying to get you to apply your iq points, work smarter, not harder?

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe they’re trying to get you to apply your iq points, work smarter, not harder?
Nope, they stopped paying out any overtime to any hourly employees about 3 weeks into the COVID because they were going broke (supposedly, even though revenue is only down 5%.) They gave me a modest raise to offset it, but did not convert me to salary, which just makes them liable to pay me even more money than if they had just kept paying me as normal. Worked fine for a while because things were a little dead through April and May, but we've been flat out busier than we've ever been all through the summer.

Someone else on my team put in 80+ hours of unpaid work in a single month so at least I'm not the dumbest one.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Nope, they stopped paying out any overtime to any hourly employees about 3 weeks into the COVID because they were going broke (supposedly, even though revenue is only down 5%.) They gave me a modest raise to offset it, but did not convert me to salary, which just makes them liable to pay me even more money than if they had just kept paying me as normal. Worked fine for a while because things were a little dead through April and May, but we've been flat out busier than we've ever been all through the summer.

Someone else on my team put in 80+ hours of unpaid work in a single month so at least I'm not the dumbest one.
Ah, sucks. Mmm, stick around, get rewarded later?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ah, sucks. Mmm, stick around, get rewarded later?
No that's stupid, I'm just waiting for an offer letter for this other job, it's labor day weekend so it should take a few extra days.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
No that's stupid, I'm just waiting for an offer letter for this other job, it's labor day weekend so it should take a few extra days.

Next time you get to 40 hours go to your supervisor's office and ask if he'd like you to keep working for overtime pay, or if you should go home with the work undone.

• 3Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
One of my favorite money saving tips came from a college radio station that had people call in and give advise on saving money every week. One caller said shaving with mayo was a great idea, because you could spread it on toast as you went.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Next time you get to 40 hours go to your supervisor's office and ask if he'd like you to keep working for overtime pay, or if you should go home with the work undone.
Nothing works like that.

A) I've met my current supervisor twice and only by accident. He's been fulltime remote the entire time I've worked here. I've been remote since November.
B) My supervisor doesn't work on the same shift as me. I work nights and weekends, he works during the normal business day, managing all the rest of the senior engineers. Our interactions are incredibly minimal.
C) We have these stupid things called workflow managers who can assign you unlimited amounts of work even though they're not your boss, and their boss isn't in my chain of command either. Since I am the senior technical resource on my shift, anything even remotely difficult gets assigned to me. Anything I can't finish, either due to time constraints or technical limitations, needs a lengthy writeup recommending next steps, which technical resources it should get assigned to on the following business day, etc.
D) Most of the stuff I write up on a Sunday or Monday night then just sits around all week, doesn't get assigned out to anyone, and ends up coming back to me on Friday (my 'Monday') so what's even the fucking point? Might as well just chip away at it on my days off.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Nothing works like that.

A) I've met my current supervisor twice and only by accident. He's been fulltime remote the entire time I've worked here. I've been remote since November.
B) My supervisor doesn't work on the same shift as me. I work nights and weekends, he works during the normal business day, managing all the rest of the senior engineers. Our interactions are incredibly minimal.
C) We have these stupid things called workflow managers who can assign you unlimited amounts of work even though they're not your boss, and their boss isn't in my chain of command either. Since I am the senior technical resource on my shift, anything even remotely difficult gets assigned to me. Anything I can't finish, either due to time constraints or technical limitations, needs a lengthy writeup recommending next steps, which technical resources it should get assigned to on the following business day, etc.
D) Most of the stuff I write up on a Sunday or Monday night then just sits around all week, doesn't get assigned out to anyone, and ends up coming back to me on Friday (my 'Monday') so what's even the fucking point? Might as well just chip away at it on my days off.
Grow some balls.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Grow some balls.
Exactly.

Working for a complete clusterfucker shitshow of a company was a net-benefit when I got paid unlimited overtime to compensate for what a clusterfuck it was, and now is a net-detriment now that I'm not, so I'm fucking out. I won't even let them counter offer this time.